Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-07-2015, 10:07 AM

2 posts, read 2,103 times

Advertisements

I loved every minute of it. Let's hope for the same next year. The Phoenix Open was especially nice this year. Normally it is rather crisp and cold.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2015, 05:47 PM

8,040 posts, read 12,250,196 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
Why didn't we need it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
It seemed nice to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
It's been great weather all Feb and getting better each day this month.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
Say what? I was just fine with it!
Do any of you have a clue about climatology, and the water situation??? Ajonesaz provided some statistics as to why this last February was concerning, but some of you just don't get it, nor look at the big picture. Yes, I suppose the weather last month could have been considered "beautiful" as far as the temperatures, but it simply wasn't normal for February ... it was more like April most of the month.

Here's why we didn't need it: we are in a long term drought, and this is something like the fourth or fifth winter in a row with below normal rainfall here & below normal snowfall in the high country. What this translates to is a low snowpack for runoff, meaning that the reservoir levels keep dropping. As of now, were are in pretty good shape as far as water supplies because the CAP supply is still adequate ... however, the Colorado River water levels are shrinking ... and because the CAP taps into the Colorado River, it is a long term concern for Phoenix.

All in all, when there is a lack of moisture during the winter months, people end up using more water, and this puts a strain on the supplies. Unfortunately, too many people have tunnel vision, and all they care about is how nice & sunny it is instead of looking at the big picture. The normal February rainfall for Phoenix is 0.92 inch (even more in some Phoenix area stations), but the last four Februarys have been below average.

Old 03-08-2015, 11:15 PM

344 posts, read 812,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Do any of you have a clue about climatology, and the water situation??? Ajonesaz provided some statistics as to why this last February was concerning, but some of you just don't get it, nor look at the big picture. Yes, I suppose the weather last month could have been considered "beautiful" as far as the temperatures, but it simply wasn't normal for February ... it was more like April most of the month.

Here's why we didn't need it: we are in a long term drought, and this is something like the fourth or fifth winter in a row with below normal rainfall here & below normal snowfall in the high country. What this translates to is a low snowpack for runoff, meaning that the reservoir levels keep dropping. As of now, were are in pretty good shape as far as water supplies because the CAP supply is still adequate ... however, the Colorado River water levels are shrinking ... and because the CAP taps into the Colorado River, it is a long term concern for Phoenix.

All in all, when there is a lack of moisture during the winter months, people end up using more water, and this puts a strain on the supplies. Unfortunately, too many people have tunnel vision, and all they care about is how nice & sunny it is instead of looking at the big picture. The normal February rainfall for Phoenix is 0.92 inch (even more in some Phoenix area stations), but the last four Februarys have been below average.

Oh please. A science lecture from the Phoenix chapter of the Bill Nye club. Talk about out of touch.

Last month's warmth was much appreciated, and March looks even better. The next few months of dryness and sunshine are the best of the year, to me!

Old 03-08-2015, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post
Oh please. A science lecture from the Phoenix chapter of the Bill Nye club. Talk about out of touch.

Last month's warmth was much appreciated, and March looks even better. The next few months of dryness and sunshine are the best of the year, to me!
No, you're the one who is out of touch if all you think about is how wonderful the sunshine and dryness is. Here's a hint: the water you take for granted isn't magically manufactured in your faucets ... it has to come from somewhere, and that is snow melt.

I was just watching 12 News, and the weather girl (who obviously knows nothing about climatology) was showing photos from around Flagstaff & northern AZ, saying how beautiful, sunny, and gorgeous it is ... but guess what was missing from the photos? A snow pack. The ground was completely bare. This translates to little or no runoff, and another potentially bad fire season. But obviously, this means very little to you, so knock yourself out & enjoy the next few months of warmth, dryness, and never ending sunshine. Enjoy the drought and the wildfires while you're at it.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:04 AM

518 posts, read 871,378 times
Forget February, the weather this weekend was amazing! I expect "good" but this was great. Nice and comfortable with a slight breeze.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Jackpot View Post
Forget February, the weather this weekend was amazing! I expect "good" but this was great. Nice and comfortable with a slight breeze.
Hmmm. Well, to each his own, but I don't think temperatures in the 80s (and possibly low 90s in the extended forecast) with no rain in sight is very beneficial in the big picture. It's funny that most everybody who dances in the sunshine now often wishes for rain by early summer when it's extremely hot & dry, and fires are raging in the high country. Of course, early summer is historically our driest time of year when no rain is normal ... but then I wouldn't expect sun freaks to understand much of anything about climatology, averages, or the water situation.

Also, it's rather amusing that the sun lovers are the same ones who whined endlessly during the week of WM Phoenix Open & Super Bowl when we had those few days of steady rain. All I heard that week was "WAAAH WAAAAH, where's my sunshine?!" Those gripes usually came from local residents, mainly the newcomers. The people who came here from out of state for the Super Bowl didn't seem to mind the rainy weather at all.

Old 03-09-2015, 12:38 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,462,302 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post

All that each one of us can do, if one wishes, is to control how much water we use/don't use. And given rainfall "averages" encompass long periods of time(not just a few years or four) with sometimes decent amounts of fluctuation in rainfall amounts over decades, none of this should be a surprise to anyone, especially given the fact that we are a desert.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:25 AM

44,617 posts, read 61,562,449 times
Isn't this just like saying the last summer/fall record breaking monsoon flooding season we didn't need.
BTW where's all that water now.

Old 03-09-2015, 09:48 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,957,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdiscover View Post
The Phoenix Open was especially nice this year. Normally it is rather crisp and cold.
It was in the 50s, cold, damp, windy, and quite rainy. In other words, it was crap!

Old 03-09-2015, 09:51 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,957,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunluv View Post

I think Bill Nye is a raving lunatic, but your post reeks of the typical Phoenician attitude (read: lack of situational awareness regarding water). I think Valley Native hit the nail right on the head with his post. You ought to be concerned about the Valley's future water situation. And do your part to conserve.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area