Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 05:55 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,609,277 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
I love all of the untrained "expert" climatologists in this thread
Algore was here?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-10-2015, 12:37 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,975,037 times
Snow has been light up North and I'm thinking our snowfall is pretty much done. In driving around the various lakes and Roosevelt dam I don't see the need to panic yet. We are probably not all gonna die if someone takes a 10 minute shower or has a patch of grass for their dogs to play on. But droughts are good reminders that most of AZ is desert, and we need to keep vigilant watch on developers, who will happily over build and over tap the water supply. Allegedly there is plenty of water but I wouldn't trust developers and their influence on politicians in this state to build us into a wasteland for profit if given the chance. So when people raise warning flags about current droughts it is a good time to actually look at the long term plans for water usage, and not best case scenarios but worst case ones. Anyone have any solid data on that?

Old 03-10-2015, 08:50 AM

1,798 posts, read 3,019,889 times
Most of the newer subdivisions have rock landscaping don't they? Most of the grass lawns exist in those older 1950's neighborhoods in Phoenix. And maybe some commercial establishments. I personaly love rock landscaping, it's real Zenny.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You assume wrong. And yes, theres lots of grass here. Two wrongs dont make a right.

Old 03-10-2015, 08:53 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,961,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Most of the newer subdivisions have rock landscaping don't they? Most of the grass lawns exist in those older 1950's neighborhoods in Phoenix. And maybe some commercial establishments. I personaly love rock landscaping, reminds me of a zen garden with the rake.
Most try to use rock, yes. But there are also a lot of new homes with grass. I ride my bike through PV and I am absolutely shocked to see all these new homes being built with gigantic grass lawns. There are several homes in there that sit on a good acre or more with grass lawns.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:23 AM

39,073 posts, read 51,209,674 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
You assume wrong. And yes, theres lots of grass here. Two wrongs dont make a right.

Thats a lot of water. It might not seem like a lot to you, but think about having 9,930 gallons of milk lying around your house. Thatll give you an idea how wasteful youre being.

Golf courses wasted trillions (yes, trillions) of gallons of water last year. All that precious water wasted so some goofy-pants-wearing yuppie can smack a ball around for leisure. Meanwhile the Colorado River is drying up, but hey! Gotta appease the golf crowd! Mother nature is being raped and people actually condone it, so yes, to me thats disgusting.
You might call it waste, but golf courses are one of the highest beneficial uses of water that there is. By beneficial, I am referring to economic benefits that a resource provides. Golf courses produce a huge economic benefit for the amount of water they use. On the other hand, agriculture which uses the vast majority of water in Arizona, has a decidedly lower beneficial use and is downright wasteful with certain crops (from an economic perspective, of course).

BTW, I don't golf, but I am retired engineer who worked for decades in water resources projects and development in AZ and the southwest.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:30 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by New Horizons View Post
Most of the newer subdivisions have rock landscaping don't they? Most of the grass lawns exist in those older 1950's neighborhoods in Phoenix. And maybe some commercial establishments. I personaly love rock landscaping, it's real Zenny.
Tract homes, yes. Custom builds tend to have lawns. Even in the tract subs, many people put grass in the backyard.

Check out all the lawns over just a small section of Silverleaf:

Here's the one with the giant lawn shown above. You can's deny that it's pretty.

Old 03-10-2015, 09:39 AM

4,624 posts, read 9,274,804 times
My favorite golf course, Ocotillo

And the Ocotillo Lakes community has yards that match, they all look like this with front and back yard grass:

Better than wasting it on alfalfa fields

Old 03-10-2015, 09:42 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,638,101 times
I love the waterfront homes!

Old 03-10-2015, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I love the waterfront homes!
They're nice but I wouldn't want to live in one. Don't need the neighbors cruising by on a pontoon boat while I'm out in the pool with the wife

Old 03-10-2015, 09:45 AM

Actually I don't think Ocotillo Lakes has boating, Ocotillo East does
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area