Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2015, 01:27 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,278,272 times

Advertisements

Just saw you asked about daycares too. My kids go to Kids Inc, started at La Petite and Tutor Time for a very brief period. My 7 year old was reading at age 4, although part of that was parent involvement I credit Kids Inc as well. We prefer Kids Inc over the other 2 by far. FYI we pay about $330 a week for one 3 year old and the 7 year old (only before and after school care).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2015, 01:32 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
You definitely have to consider the commute time above most other things. Yes, north Scottsdale is very nice, but the commute to ASU/downtown Tempe from there can be a nightmare. Most likely, you'd be taking the 101 south to the 202, and then east into Tempe. Traffic during rush hour can be very congested on both the 101 and 202. Even when traffic isn't heavy, this is still going to be a pretty long drive. Also keep in mind that Scottsdale extends pretty far north ... and in fact the far northern end can seem like a whole different world compared to other parts of the east Valley.

Ahwatukee would be closer, and less of a commute ... but Ahwatukee is also known as the "world's largest cul de sac", and getting in & out can be a challenge. If you prefer Scottsdale over Ahwatukee, I would consider looking a little further south in Scottsdale, such as around the McCormick area. It's a somewhat older area, but very well kept. It doesn't have immediate access to hiking trails, but the commute wouldn't be as long.
The biggest issue is getting out of Ahwatukee and getting on the 1-10. If you take the surface streets and stay out of the lanes on the east west streets where people are trying to get on the freeway, I don't think it would be too bad.

Old 03-09-2015, 01:39 PM

FWIW I never had an issue getting in or out of Ahwatukee when I lived there, but I didn't live deep into Ahwatukee. I took Warner to get on I-10. Ray Rd was always very congested but someone could take Warner or Pecos and avoid most of it.

Old 03-09-2015, 06:35 PM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
I've lived in the 'tuke in the past, I'd take it over snottsdale any day (for being married with a family anyway). The 'tuke has everything you need, and other than commuting to work you probably will end up spending most of your time there. As others have mentioned the I-10 can really be a parking lot coming out of in the morning or going into Ahwatukee at night. But that was a while ago, Pecos wasn't there as it is now and the 202 loop didn't connect so things might be a little better. When I lived there I tried to either be at work before 7 or I left for work after 9. If you can be a little flexible on your start times it makes all the difference.

As to Scottsdale, the vibe is all wrong. North Scottsdale is very nice, but it is still...Scottsdale. You will have more restaurant choices. South Scottsdale has some rough spots. Your kids if brought up in Scottsdale will absorb it's attitudes, maybe search on Scottsdale a bit and see if that is what you want. Not saying everyone raised there is bad, they are not, but do a search anyway.

Good luck.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:49 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,741 times
Traffic will probably not be too good commuting to Tempe from anywhere.

But for family-friendly areas with good public schools I'd search in Ahwatukee, south Tempe, or Chandler long before Scottsdale.

Ahwatukee would be good for hiking trails with South Mountain Park nearby.

Scottsdale residences are expensive and more suited for young to middle-age yuppie types who like to flash their cash and mod their bods.

Old 03-09-2015, 08:54 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

But for family-friendly areas with good public schools I'd search in Ahwatukee, south Tempe, or Chandler long before Scottsdale.

Ahwatukee would be good for hiking trails with South Mountain Park nearby.

Scottsdale residences are expensive and more suited for young to middle-age yuppie types who like to flash their cash and mod their bods.
Ignore this poster. He has an ax to grind against Scottsdale and this advise is faulty at best. Much of Scottsdsle is extremely family friendly with great community involvement, schools and tons for kids to do. You've gotten some good info here (and some bad) but I hope you got some valuable information out of this. Good luck on the move!

Old 03-09-2015, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post

The OP didn't mention South Tempe but that's a great suggestion. I love the Corona Del Sol Estates neighborhood, all custom homes on huge lots, great schools and a stones throw from ASU. I used to own a property down the road from there at Warner and Rural and it was 10 minutes to ASU, no freeway needed. How great would it be to be able to go home for lunch?

Old 03-10-2015, 12:08 AM

1,204 posts, read 1,976,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
The OP didn't mention South Tempe but that's a great suggestion. I love the Corona Del Sol Estates neighborhood, all custom homes on huge lots, great schools and a stones throw from ASU. I used to own a property down the road from there at Warner and Rural and it was 10 minutes to ASU, no freeway needed. How great would it be to be able to go home for lunch?
++ I know people in this area and it is nice. In some areas of South Tempe there is even horse property still. You can head South to Ahwatukee or North into central / northern Tempe fairly quickly.

Old 03-10-2015, 04:23 PM

40 posts, read 124,705 times
I agree with Java Jolt. For more down to earth and family friendly I would choose Ahwatukee, South Tempe, West Chandler or the Ocotillo section of Chandler before Scottsdale. South Scottsdale is very run down and poor, North Scottsdale is just not a very convenient location. In the South Tempe/Ahwatukee area you have easy access to the following freeways 202 San Tan, I-10, US 60, 101, 143, 202 Red Mountain. North Scottsdale, just the 101.

Here is a link to the Phx Business Journal list of wealthiest zip codes. In the top ten are South Tempe (85284) and Ahwatukee (listed as Phx 85045 and 85048). South Tempe has a lot of custom home neighborhoods that are zoned as horse property which is very nice.

The Top 10 wealthiest Phoenix-area ZIP codes for 2014 - Phoenix Business Journal

Old 03-10-2015, 04:27 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,417,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by infocyde View Post
++ I know people in this area and it is nice. In some areas of South Tempe there is even horse property still. You can head South to Ahwatukee or North into central / northern Tempe fairly quickly.
Agree with these posters. Lots of nice neighborhoods across south Tempe.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area