Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-11-2015, 06:13 PM

942 posts, read 2,518,831 times

Advertisements

We currently live in Goodyear and went to look at a new development in the Baseline corridor (24th St. and Baseline, I believe) and I was shocked at how expensive the house was. I believe it was above $500,000 and it was surrounded by other large homes. I am fine with the area, but my husband isn't and I don't believe it's the aesthetics or safety, just the feeling of too many people. It certainly is a convenient area for many employment centers and I can see why it is becoming increasingly desirable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-11-2015, 07:17 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound4AZ View Post
Huh? One or both of us will have jobs.
WHERE? That single issue is the main factor that should be determining where you purchase a home.

Old 03-11-2015, 09:22 PM

81 posts, read 82,865 times
Bound4AZ's wife here, chiming in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
WHERE? That single issue is the main factor that should be determining where you purchase a home.
You and I had basically this same conversation two months ago in one of my threads.

When we're getting ready to buy, obviously we'll know where at least one of our jobs is. Certainly we couldn't get a mortgage without one verifiable income, or preferably two. But:
  • We can't assume both of us will have jobs in the same area. Based on the jobs we're applying to, it's entirely possible that when we move out there, I'll be working in Chandler and he'll be working in north Phoenix, or vice versa.
  • More likely than not, one or both of us will switch jobs in the next five years.
  • When one of us switches jobs, we don't want to have to sell the house and move. Maybe some people up and sell their house every time they get a new job, but I don't see how we'd ever build any equity, and neither of us wants to move every few years.

That's why we are trying to find a reasonably central location based on the job postings we see in our fields, with the goal of limiting each of our commutes to 30 minutes or so. Given the jobs we're looking at, South Mountain seems like a reasonable location to consider.

So why are we asking about South Mountain now, when we don't have the jobs yet? Because we're trying to research our options ahead of time. When one of us accepts a job offer, it's going to be a whirlwind of activity, and if we have a pretty solid plan on location, that'll be one less thing to stress out about.

Old 03-12-2015, 04:23 AM

113 posts, read 159,755 times
sent you a pm.

Old 03-13-2015, 08:37 AM

135 posts, read 165,321 times
I am interested in seeing what people have to say about real estate in south mountain as well. I'm looking to buy in about 6 months and my budget verses taste seems to have landed me in South Mountain. There is also a recently started thread about building a highway in the area. I haven't researched enough to know how long it's been debated but from a newbie's perspective, easy access to highways is important.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:30 AM

445 posts, read 515,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmw51882 View Post
I am interested in seeing what people have to say about real estate in south mountain as well. I'm looking to buy in about 6 months and my budget verses taste seems to have landed me in South Mountain. There is also a recently started thread about building a highway in the area. I haven't researched enough to know how long it's been debated but from a newbie's perspective, easy access to highways is important.
The area identified as South Mountain is on the north side of the mountain itself and won't have a freeway going through it, although you are fairly close to the 10 on the eastern edge of the area. The South Mountain freeway/Loop 202 extension you're referring to will actually be going around the south side of the mountain through Ahwatukee.

Old 03-13-2015, 09:31 AM

445 posts, read 515,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cherrylimeade View Post
Bound4AZ's wife here, chiming in.

You and I had basically this same conversation two months ago in one of my threads.

When we're getting ready to buy, obviously we'll know where at least one of our jobs is. Certainly we couldn't get a mortgage without one verifiable income, or preferably two. But:
  • We can't assume both of us will have jobs in the same area. Based on the jobs we're applying to, it's entirely possible that when we move out there, I'll be working in Chandler and he'll be working in north Phoenix, or vice versa.
  • More likely than not, one or both of us will switch jobs in the next five years.
  • When one of us switches jobs, we don't want to have to sell the house and move. Maybe some people up and sell their house every time they get a new job, but I don't see how we'd ever build any equity, and neither of us wants to move every few years.

That's why we are trying to find a reasonably central location based on the job postings we see in our fields, with the goal of limiting each of our commutes to 30 minutes or so. Given the jobs we're looking at, South Mountain seems like a reasonable location to consider.

So why are we asking about South Mountain now, when we don't have the jobs yet? Because we're trying to research our options ahead of time. When one of us accepts a job offer, it's going to be a whirlwind of activity, and if we have a pretty solid plan on location, that'll be one less thing to stress out about.
I thought this thread sounded familiar. lol

Old 03-18-2015, 05:16 PM

1,484 posts, read 3,138,075 times
OP, I've lived in the area you mention for the past 10 years. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

Old 03-18-2015, 05:44 PM

570 posts, read 1,001,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bound4AZ View Post
We don't, and won't, have kids, so bad schools (by themselves) aren't a problem. Although bad schools typically could mean bad kids and teens in the area, so that's a considering.

By SE South Mountain, I mean the areas east of 7th Street and south of Baseline.
I drove down this part of Baseline (Central headed east to 48th St) the other day. There does seem to be a lot of new housing going up mostly south of Baseline. I hope that improves the area as time goes on.

Old 03-18-2015, 11:01 PM

770 posts, read 836,543 times
Baseline to Dobbins is newer homes, but just remember from Baseline to the river bottom and 48th st to 19th Ave is the hood filled with gangs and drugs. People who live in Scottsdale will say it's not bad like Chicago or Detroit. Just remember The gangs from LA when they expanded in the 80's took root in South Phoenix. Plus, you now have the Mexican gangs controlled be La Eme. If you have kids you probably don't want them going to the schools there. Best of Luck
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area