Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2015, 04:21 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,891,685 times

Advertisements

Not that it affects me in the sense that what I'm going to do with my kids (no kids here)...but what about the city itself overall? They already did a survey and nearly 40% of parents said they would move out of the area to somewhere that had a traditional 5-day school week. Um hello plunging property values, empty shopping centers and hello to a bunch of old people moving in?

Apparently the school district believes it'll save a bunch of money...crap...raise taxes a bit if you need more money. How are you going to save money when a large chunk of your population leaves the city?

4-day week favored in Peoria schools
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2015, 04:28 PM

38,964 posts, read 50,895,924 times
They just voted to do that in Apache Junction as well as close about 1/4 of their elementary schools. It's going to get worse in Peoria as growth puts more and more demand on the schools, the state cuts more and more of the funding they get, growing populations of retirees vote against budget increases, and massive voter apathy allows anti-education politicians to fill the seats on Washington.

On the plus side, the teachers are for it - Fridays off!

Old 03-13-2015, 04:32 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,225,654 times
Protip: It's never a good idea to follow Apache Junctions lead.

Old 03-13-2015, 04:54 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,940,379 times
40% said they will move schools, but most will not.

A real tragedy for the working parents, what are they going to do with their kids on Friday?

To me it seems like a lot of the schools are doing things for shock value. They want parents to act and demand funding from their government. One west valley school district a few months back said they were laying off teachers because an override failed, but recently it was in the news they were hiring more teachers???

Old 03-13-2015, 04:54 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,302,827 times
Make sure you don't forget to activate that security system!

Old 03-13-2015, 04:57 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,940,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Um hello plunging property values, empty shopping centers and hello to a bunch of old people moving in?

4-day week favored in Peoria schools
This is not a Peoria issue. We really need to evaluate our education system in Arizona. We only have a few spots to drop. We fund so much stupid crap, why not education?

Good jobs require well educated employees. Well educated employees are not going to want to raise their families here.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:31 PM

639 posts, read 965,017 times
It's a matter of time before this happens everywhere in AZ as districts look to save money. And what will they cut next time? It's getting to a point that this can not keep happening. At some point people need to wake up and realize what is happening to the education system here. I've said it since we moved here - I would not recommend Arizona school systems to anyone. Something needs to change in this state and fast. Not only do we not fund education but our students are at the lowest part of the country in terms of test scores, etc. Funding is not the only answer but in this case, it needs to happen before anything else substantive can.

Old 03-13-2015, 05:46 PM

3,819 posts, read 11,891,685 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
40% said they will move schools, but most will not.

A real tragedy for the working parents, what are they going to do with their kids on Friday?
Maybe not 40%, but I bet a lot will.

Like you said, what will working parents do with their kids? Sure there's daycare, but that's expensive..and that's for little kids...what do you do with your 7 and 8 years old? We used to stay home alone at that age but apparently that doesn't happen anymore. And daycare doesn't offer corner bus pickup as far as I know.

Old 03-13-2015, 06:07 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,225,654 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Maybe not 40%, but I bet a lot will.

Like you said, what will working parents do with their kids? Sure there's daycare, but that's expensive..and that's for little kids...what do you do with your 7 and 8 years old? We used to stay home alone at that age but apparently that doesn't happen anymore. And daycare doesn't offer corner bus pickup as far as I know.
Oh I bet the Peoria schools will offer Friday care for $$ . Out here in Chandler they do a thing called kids express at the schools with before and after school care as well as Summer. They'd do that kind of thing in Peoria on Friday's but keep them wrangled up in 2-3 schools to save $$

Old 03-13-2015, 06:13 PM

445 posts, read 511,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
A lot of working parents have to find something to do with their kids on Saturdays and/or Sundays already. Or in the late afternoon/evening hours. A very high number of parents' work schedules fall outside the traditional Monday through Friday business week and they have to deal with this already. And it's not just those in the service industry or retail. More and more businesses run 7 days a week these days, and even many white collar jobs require schedules that includes weekends and evenings. Schools are no longer a replacement for child care...many parents need both these days regardless of whether the school week is 4 or 5 days.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area