Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2015, 05:54 PM

2 posts, read 1,643 times

Advertisements

Ok so,

I am relocating to Scottsdale AZ, and have never been there before. I have been to Phoenix once for a day about 7 years ago and remembered it being very hot -out there for work and it was a whirlwind tour for all of 36 hours and then flying out.

I’m coming from D.C where I’m very physically active both in the gym and outdoors and wanted to know the best methods for being able to transition to being active in the desert. I’m getting out there in a few weeks so the temp will be on the incline from everything I have read.

I know there are runners, hikers, bikers, etc everywhere so I wanted to know the best way to start a new routine. This question is especially posed to those transplants from colder climates. Did you start by small increments, or just varying your times, different times of day?? I’ve been told I need to up my water intake which I figured, but any other tricks of the trade to make it easier would be greatly appreciated. Someone said my potassium consumption would be rather different...

Also any highly recommended gyms in the Scottsdale Area? I’m about a mile south of Old Town... Running paths? Hiking? Mountain Biking? Places that are common to be active while still relatively safe since it is just me wondering around like a lost tourist in the desert (I admit I’m so taking a picture with one of those fun looking Cacti...)

Overall rather excited about the move... but I have completely no idea what I am getting in to so any other nuggets or areas of advice would be appreciated. Early 30s professional moving with just myself and a rather large German Shepherd that I am hoping will forgive me for the 100 plus degree heat..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2015, 07:38 PM

52 posts, read 145,927 times
It's pretty brutal exercising outside in the summer to begin with. There's no getting used to that as far as I'm concerned. There's a ton of health/fitness clubs in Scottsdale with rock climbing, indoor pools, indoor basketball etc which you might want to look into. Checkout the Lifetime fitness(es) in Scottsdale. You will have camelback mountain at your backdoor which is a great hiking spot, there are a few different trails on different sides of the mountain. At least a handful of times every year someone from out of town underestimates it and passes out, or falls off, or get's helicoptered off for one reason or another...

Otherwise, some people still go out very early mornings for runs, bike, etc. After 9 or 10AM though... eek. Also, WATER WATER WATER can not be said enough in the summer.

Old 03-17-2015, 08:44 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,645,144 times
I think if you're relatively fit, over hydrated and use sun protection, you should be fine. I continue to jog all year and while it's hot as hell, I've never felt particularly bad from the heat. Your endurance will probably go down some.

Old 03-18-2015, 04:18 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,652 times
There are gyms galore in Scottsdale - it really comes down to how much you want to pay and what you need in a fitness center. There is the city run SARS which is great for the basics and some good classes especially boxing. There is an under-utilized center at Scottsdale Community College where there is rarely a crowd or a wait. Within close proximity to Old Town there is LA Fitness, YouFit, Independence, Mountain Fitness, Gold's Gym, 24 Hour, the list goes on...you get the picture.

The memberships start at $100 bucks a year and up. For me personally - it is so inexpensive I belong to two gyms. The runners on this forum can give you some good info on running and there are several great running stores around town.

Old 03-19-2015, 04:32 AM

2 posts, read 1,643 times
Ok Awesome, any particular gyms that I should stay away from? Poor equipment, etc?

I usually only use a gym for lifting, but may have to integrate some cardio in with the new weather changes.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:16 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,684,958 times
I lived in D.C. and Virginia. If you can handle the heat and humidity in the D.C metro area during summer, then the same factors apply here, only to a greater degree. Most of it is common sense for anyone who engages in higher temperature outdoor activities. The biggest difference is that, being the desert, there is little escape from the sun once you are outside, unless you're in a greenbelt area.

Also, don't take the dog with you in hot weather.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:51 AM

13 posts, read 14,797 times
I played 36 holes of golf a few years ago while there (and not acclimated, but in decent shape). Keep the water going down (and lots of it) and you should be fine.

Old 03-19-2015, 11:55 AM

43 posts, read 48,644 times
I go to YouFit in south Scottsdale. It's only $10/month, and the equipment is decent, but the free weights area is pretty small. It gets packed from 6-10pm, but in the morning it's great. There's a LA Fitness in the same area, but I'm not sure what that's like.

It sounds like you'll be close to the Greenbelt (Indian Bend Wash), which is a great area to run or bike. You can take that all the way from Central Scottsdale to Tempe Town Lake.

I came from the midwest, and I didn't have a problem adjusting to the heat. I usually run around 9-10pm in the summer, and even though it's still over 100 degrees, I don't find it to be that bad.

Old 03-19-2015, 08:37 PM

768 posts, read 1,759,652 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perks2 View Post
Ok Awesome, any particular gyms that I should stay away from? Poor equipment, etc?

I usually only use a gym for lifting, but may have to integrate some cardio in with the new weather changes.
I belong to YouFit in south Scottsdale (great cardio equipment, busy weight area - very clean and shiny) but I also belong to Scottsdale Community College for the weights and very, very low key vibe along with towel service and a free locker (the A/C'ed, indoor track is nice too). They are less than two miles apart and offer a variety for not much money. Most places have try it before you buy and there are Groupon deals (especially in the summer) for smaller studios and classes.

I've also belonged to 24Hour (has a pool) and SARS (under a $100 a year for residents). Just be sure to check them out during your routine work out time and know that everything (good and bad) is slow in the summer and very busy during Nov-March (snowbird season).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area