Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-21-2016, 10:58 AM

2 posts, read 2,164 times

Advertisements

I am a Gigablast consumer and where one of the first areas in North Phoenix to get it.

The speeds are as stated. Wired PCs are almost 1Gig up and down, when it is working. Our outages have been substantial. It is quite a bit less stable than copper. We have experienced outages almost monthly throughout our consumption.

Worse is how the support team handles an outage. They cannot determine if there is an outage or if it is in the home. So EVERY SINGLE TIME they have had to schedule a tech to come out and prove there was an outage. This has taken 1 to 4 days and usually was on the outer edge of 3-4 days. Then however long it takes them to correct the outage.

This week we hit a peak. It is not getting better, but worse. Sunday outage.. Complained so much got a tech out on Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning outage.. and well yes they have to send another tech out to prove its an actual outage.

I need to return to copper. It was so much more stable.

Last, the Cox techs on the phone and in the field all admit there is not enough staff to cover this new service delaying their ability to support it.

My advice is wait until stable or until Google Fiber is in place.

Last edited by BobCichon; 09-21-2016 at 11:21 AM..
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 11:24 AM

2 posts, read 2,164 times
I have had it for over a year. Its fast.. no doubt, but VERY unstable. We have outages all the time and they can take days to repair. I am very fed up and preparing to request returning to copper. I would wait it out until they have staff and experience to handle fiber. Currently, they are not there yet.

Quote:
Originally Posted by arizona stallion View Post
We were just notified that Cox Gigablast will be available in the next few weeks in our neighborhood. Supposedly it will be 100X faster than slow internet / 10X faster than our current high speed internet, and I believe as fast as Google Fiber. If you sign up for a 2 year committment, it's actually $2 less than our current package.

My question is for anyone who already has Gigablast. How is it? What are you able to do that you weren't previously able to do? I'm hoping I can stream sports and shows on Sling TV without as many interuptions. Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 09-23-2016, 09:10 AM

140 posts, read 173,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobCichon View Post
I am a Gigablast consumer and where one of the first areas in North Phoenix to get it.

The speeds are as stated. Wired PCs are almost 1Gig up and down, when it is working. Our outages have been substantial. It is quite a bit less stable than copper. We have experienced outages almost monthly throughout our consumption.

Worse is how the support team handles an outage. They cannot determine if there is an outage or if it is in the home. So EVERY SINGLE TIME they have had to schedule a tech to come out and prove there was an outage. This has taken 1 to 4 days and usually was on the outer edge of 3-4 days. Then however long it takes them to correct the outage.

This week we hit a peak. It is not getting better, but worse. Sunday outage.. Complained so much got a tech out on Monday afternoon. Tuesday morning outage.. and well yes they have to send another tech out to prove its an actual outage.

I need to return to copper. It was so much more stable.

Last, the Cox techs on the phone and in the field all admit there is not enough staff to cover this new service delaying their ability to support it.

My advice is wait until stable or until Google Fiber is in place.
Yikes...I'm being scheduled to get it asap. And have a 2 year contract. This is horrible to hear.

Old 09-24-2016, 12:34 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,420,438 times
Just curious.....what are you guys using 1 gig up/down for/why do you need so much speed?

The reliability that a few of you are reporting would keep me far away from such a product.

Old 09-24-2016, 08:36 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,893,430 times
They're installing it in my neighborhood as we speak. Last thing I want is more reason to have to call cox.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:24 AM

Well, I was considering cancelling my install but instead of calling me to schedule they came out and did it while I was at work yesterday. I was told that service has been reliable in most areas. We'll see. It sure is fast.

Old 09-27-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Just curious.....what are you guys using 1 gig up/down for/why do you need so much speed?

The reliability that a few of you are reporting would keep me far away from such a product.
Three kids with tablets on Amazon. But honestly, speed wasn't the only factor. They've dropped my bill by about $60/month. Of course, it won't be worth it if it isn't reliable.

Old 05-26-2017, 09:04 PM

526 posts, read 465,647 times
I'm guessing I shouldn't hold my breath on them investing the infrastructure for Gigablast in my 1960's apartment South Scottsdale?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area