Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 10:26 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,925,189 times

Advertisements

We've been here a few years, and we love it for the most part. The positives far outweigh the negatives, but the things I hate: downtown PHX is a dud, its far too hot for far too long, all the suburbs look the same for hte most part, the sun is brutally hot, mosquitos during monsoon season, high a/c costs, and outside of the Valley you have to drive forever to get to major destinations. Other than that, I love it here!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 01:08 PM

23 posts, read 20,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sargeant79 View Post
This is spot on, especially the comments about the weather. It really is amazing how much better your moods are when you aren't dealing with freezing temps, grey skies, and snow coming down sideways for several months each year, which is exactly what you'd have to deal with in Minneapolis.

I've never lived in Atlanta, but I've been there for work enough to get a basic feel for it. It seems to me that the downtown part of Atlanta (particularly Mid-Town and Buckhead) are some pretty cool urban spots with a good feel to them. Otherwise, Atlanta and Phoenix are fairly similar. Both are very spread out and suburban for most of the area, even within the city limits. My understanding is that the cost of living is very similar to the Phoenix area as well but someone who Atlanta better would be able to confirm to what extent that is accurate. Atlanta has worse traffic than Phoenix though and although I think Atlanta is a fairly decent city, I'm generally not a very big fan of the south.

My wife and I moved out here to Phoenix almost 4 years ago now. I lived in Chicago most of my life with a detour in Southwest Michigan for a few years before moving out here. We both love it here and haven't looked back. Our lives are better since coming out here in many ways. Our perception never changed or became more negative in any way after we had been here a year or two. This will be our 5th summer and the heat doesn't bother us...we just consider that pool season and a more than fair trade for the few months a year we were cooped up in the house in winter. We're probably a bit spoiled now if anything because we're used to seeing mountains every day instead of flat land, and we think 45 degree temperatures are downright unbearable when that would have been a January heatwave for the first 30+ years of each of our lives.

If you aren't a four-seasons person and you're okay with heat and a desert setting, you'd probably like it here.
Great information. Question. I've been in NE all my life. Absolutely hate winter and feel summer is to short. I have very very low vitamin D levels and work nights so I barely see sunlight. On to my question. How do you know if you're truly not a four season person? I don't think that I like the NE seasons. What made you know you didn't like the four seasons before moving to AZ? I feel like here in MA were cheated out of summer. It rains half the summer anyway. So outside days are limited as well during the summer.

Old 03-31-2015, 01:41 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,240,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNOOSH View Post
Great information. Question. I've been in NE all my life. Absolutely hate winter and feel summer is to short. I have very very low vitamin D levels and work nights so I barely see sunlight. On to my question. How do you know if you're truly not a four season person? I don't think that I like the NE seasons. What made you know you didn't like the four seasons before moving to AZ? I feel like here in MA were cheated out of summer. It rains half the summer anyway. So outside days are limited as well during the summer.

For me, it is the fact that the only time I really was happy before was in the summer. The rest of the seasons?

Spring = Almost summer!

Fall = Summer is over 3 more seasons till summer

Winter = Halfway to summer! Please get over quick with as little snow as possible.

Seriously, I would start to feel a bit panicked when July 4th rolled around...it was a sort of halfway point of summer! OH NO! Then Labor Day? Forget it. I dreaded that day, summer is winding down. I never enjoyed the changing of the leaves in the fall; it meant the dreaded winter was coming.

Yes, I am being 100% serious.

Here, no season depression at all. Now I just have 2 seasons to worry about...summer and January LOL

Old 03-31-2015, 01:49 PM

23 posts, read 20,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElleTea View Post
For me, it is the fact that the only time I really was happy before was in the summer. The rest of the seasons?

Spring = Almost summer!

Fall = Summer is over 3 more seasons till summer

Winter = Halfway to summer! Please get over quick with as little snow as possible.

Seriously, I would start to feel a bit panicked when July 4th rolled around...it was a sort of halfway point of summer! OH NO! Then Labor Day? Forget it. I dreaded that day, summer is winding down. I never enjoyed the changing of the leaves in the fall; it meant the dreaded winter was coming.

Yes, I am being 100% serious.

Here, no season depression at all. Now I just have 2 seasons to worry about...summer and January LOL
HA! On spot! Fall is WAY too close to winter snow. Who can enjoy the fall leaves changing when snow is around the corner? Spring is just rain rain rain....... Oh and MUD. Winter? speaks for itself. I have 8 year old boys that NEED to be outside all year long.

Old 03-31-2015, 03:10 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,240,728 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNOOSH View Post
HA! On spot! Fall is WAY too close to winter snow. Who can enjoy the fall leaves changing when snow is around the corner? Spring is just rain rain rain....... Oh and MUD. Winter? speaks for itself. I have 8 year old boys that NEED to be outside all year long.

I did like spring where I used to live because of the blooming trees. I lived on a street that was lined with them, and I do miss that part. Not as much blooming here. But yes, lots of dreary rainy days (to make those trees bloom!) Spring also meant serious allergies (tree pollen for me) that I no longer have since I moved here. No oak trees here

Old 03-31-2015, 03:24 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,871,180 times
Too brown, too dry, too hot, way overpopulated and too conservative for me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area