Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-28-2015, 11:36 AM

54 posts, read 86,391 times

Advertisements

My first spring in AZ so please excuse any 'stupid' questions-

I noticed that my Mesquite tree is shedding and I know they do that but it seems kind of odd for this to be happening in late march. It otherwise looks green and healthy- just a lot of bare stems, esp. on top. This is a 25 ft tree that was trimmed about 3 months ago by professionals.

Thoughts? Should I try to intervene? Don't want to lose this tree as it provides the majority of shade. And it looks like a giant bonsai, which is kind cool, too.

Thanks!
Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2015, 11:41 AM

38,946 posts, read 50,850,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogdayze View Post
My first spring in AZ so please excuse any 'stupid' questions-

I noticed that my Mesquite tree is shedding and I know they do that but it seems kind of odd for this to be happening in late march. It otherwise looks green and healthy- just a lot of bare stems, esp. on top. This is a 25 ft tree that was trimmed about 3 months ago by professionals.

Thoughts? Should I try to intervene? Don't want to lose this tree as it provides the majority of shade. And it looks like a giant bonsai, which is kind cool, too.

Thanks!
Could be normal. They drop their leaves in winter especially toward the end. New growth starts right about now. I have both the native and the so-called Chilean types. The natives are in full green now and the blossoms are starting to form. The Chileans just started to leaf out and still look a little bare. If you look closely at yours you may see the new leaf buds forming.

Old 03-28-2015, 01:43 PM

44,540 posts, read 61,201,075 times
OP it may be from an erratic watering system. This web site will give you valuable information about the different species and care of Mesquite trees.
http://extension.arizona.edu/sites/e...ubs/az1429.pdf

Old 03-29-2015, 01:51 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,415,096 times
Our Chilean mesquite, about the same height as yours, does the same shedding at this time of the year. It does drop a bunch of leaves for a few weeks. We don't have any bare stems though as it's full of leaves. Given its size, I don't water it either though I'm sure it gets some water when I water a smaller tree near it once every few weeks to a month.

Old 03-30-2015, 03:26 PM

54 posts, read 86,391 times
Thanks all! You sure do make adapting to living here in AZ so much easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area