Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2015, 01:59 AM

23 posts, read 20,172 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Oh, for heaven's sake. "All these huge insects"? Not all our scorpions are huge, and many of us have never, or rarely, even seen one. So, we live with them just fine, for the most part. Yes, some areas do have more scorpions, I've never lived in one of those. They are poisonous, but not deadly. Same with the spiders. But if you are THAT frightened of insects, best stay where you are, so the fear of the unknown doesn't add to your problems.

IF it bothers you that much....DON'T waste your time responding I'm making the unknown....known! The whole point in researching is to learn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2015, 02:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2myeyeballz View Post
Moved here a month ago- I see a lot more insects than I ever expected. Haven't seen a scorpion yet. First it was the crane flies? Then tons of bees, just started getting flies. Granted these are outdoors. Inside I've had many of those come in because I keep the doors open often, my fault. spiders nothing creepier than I've seen in the Midwest though. Oh all kinds of weird bugs in the pool, wide variety. I was stung today by some teeny tiny bee/ant/fly thingy- never seen one before but it hurt for a bit. That's my honest truth, a lot more than I expected.... Thoigh I appreciate not having a ton of mosquito welts.

Had the house & yard professionally sprayed. They recommend bimonthly... I'm going with monthly to be extra safe! These services are very reasonable around here.
Thanks for your reply. It's either BIG huge pests or HUGE FREEZING winters! I guess I will have to make sure I question landlords about pest control as well.

Old 03-31-2015, 02:09 AM

35 posts, read 36,306 times
That's what I tell myself everyday! When I frustrated I just look at michigans forecast my youngest appears to have issues with these bugs, to where I think she might not grow out of it. Trying to swim today with the insects ended up pretty stressful for all. Just make sure your windows have screens and that they spray frequently and you will be fine.

To many typos again! My phone and this forum just don't agree, sorry

Old 03-31-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Up2myeyeballz View Post
That's what I tell myself everyday! When I frustrated I just look at michigans forecast my youngest appears to have issues with these bugs, to where I think she might not grow out of it. Trying to swim today with the insects ended up pretty stressful for all. Just make sure your windows have screens and that they spray frequently and you will be fine.

To many typos again! My phone and this forum just don't agree, sorry
Well I have probably made my boys that way as well 😕 Hate that I am like that over something so small but as I get older I am working harder on trying to get over the fear. I was born and raised in MA and I've always hated the winters. Summers are too short and if it's not a great one it can rain most the summer as well. I get totally depressed in the winter. So I need to find a solution to my bug fear. Time for me to grow up!😂

Old 03-31-2015, 07:35 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,272,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNOOSH View Post
IF it bothers you that much....DON'T waste your time responding I'm making the unknown....known! The whole point in researching is to learn.
Sorry, I overreacted a bit. But we see so many of these posts/threads here. I can't guarantee to you that you won't see a scorpion, but I can assure you that the problem generally is not nearly what people who don't live here think it is, based on what they have heard somewhere. The chances are you will be just fine.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:24 AM

39,002 posts, read 51,001,044 times
These bug threads bug me. Honestly, bugs are a non-issue here compared to places in the east. An occasional scorpion, honey bees? Seriously. In the eastern US one can't even go out in summer after dark without dousing in DEET and smelling god awful because of the mosquitoes and the days are spent dodging the biting flies and what not. Every store in the midwest has a bug spray display near the front entrance. In Phoenix they have sunscreen and you have to go back into the camping section to find any DEET. We don't put tick crap on our dogs either. Our cats stay out and don't get fleas. We can walk in the grass, lay in the grass and not get chigger bites all over our ankles.

Yes, we have bugs all year. It is frozen half the year in the east and so you get a respite. But one summer with bugs in Michigan is worse than a lifetime of them in Phoenix.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:06 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,928,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HUNOOSH View Post
ugh....I probably shouldn't ask this because I am doing serious research and thinking about relocating to Phoenix. But I have a huge fear of insects etc. Are these scorpions you speak about poisonous? Deadly? And spiders? How can you people live with all these huge insects? Seems so scary. I'm in MA and I hate the bugs here. But they're mostly harmless. Just gross and annoying.

I think I better learn to spell before I move.

If youre doing serious research, youd see that scorpions are not poisonous, and definitely not insects.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:25 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,272,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
If youre doing serious research, youd see that scorpions are not poisonous, and definitely not insects.
Someone with a serious fear of "bugs" including insects and spiders, frankly doesn't care that the scorpion is not technically an insect, but is a "cousin" of the spider. And, perhaps the appropriate term would be "venomous" rather than "poisonous". The poster is concerned about what he or she is likely to find here in terms of all things "bug", and not their specific morphology.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:33 AM

9,479 posts, read 12,244,306 times
Scorpions are really pretty small, but still creepy! I had 3 of them in my previous apartment in less than a year. One in the bathroom, one on the furnace filter when it was being changed, and one on the back door that my cat was trying to play with. I also saw black widows in the backyard there often. Those are fine as long as they are outside, but because they are extremely poisonous I was worried about one of my dogs being bitten.

Black widows are also pretty small.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:43 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,928,076 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
These bug threads bug me. Honestly, bugs are a non-issue here compared to places in the east. An occasional scorpion, honey bees? Seriously. In the eastern US one can't even go out in summer after dark without dousing in DEET and smelling god awful because of the mosquitoes and the days are spent dodging the biting flies and what not. Every store in the midwest has a bug spray display near the front entrance. In Phoenix they have sunscreen and you have to go back into the camping section to find any DEET. We don't put tick crap on our dogs either. Our cats stay out and don't get fleas. We can walk in the grass, lay in the grass and not get chigger bites all over our ankles.

Yes, we have bugs all year. It is frozen half the year in the east and so you get a respite. But one summer with bugs in Michigan is worse than a lifetime of them in Phoenix.
I think the cause for concern is that our bugs are more dangerous, thats all. They trade ticks and chiggers for scorpions and black widows, etc. Truth be told most people dont have issues with them, but there are plenty of people that do have awful infestations, and for someone moving from the east coast, its the ultimate nightmare. The wildlife in AZ can be harmful, theres no denying that. People just need to educate themselves on the matter, learn what to look for, and how to deal with the "problem" should it arise.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area