Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-30-2015, 07:33 PM

36 posts, read 33,965 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Doesn't everyone get in ASU? LOL. Anyway, if you do, my recommendation FWIW is to stay in a dorm. You get a place near everything - no need for a car - and a bike might be all you want to get around. There is lots for students to do in Tempe. It has one of the best college hangout areas in the country along Mill Ave. On the academic side, being in the dorms puts you right in with tutors and help if and when you need it. And you can get a meal plan that will allow you to eat as much as you want, whenever you want, just a stumble away. During your first year you can meet up with people and make plans for an off campus situation the following year. By then you will know your way around the city and what will work best for you.
Thanks for the reply! And yes, ASU accepts a LOT of people. My SAT/ACT scores are on par with their out of state numbers, but my GPA is lower because of my abysmal first couple years of high school. I'll have to see. I contacted an admissions rep that told me if I meet their required out of state SAT or ACT score I'm pretty much in the clear even with a very low GPA. We'll see. In the event that I DON'T get into ASU, should I live in the area around it to get used to the environment? I know there are several community colleges near by that I can transfer from after a year or 2. Hopefully everything works out though. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-30-2015, 07:35 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,240,703 times
Quote:
Doesn't everyone get in ASU? LOL. Anyway, if you do, my recommendation FWIW is to stay in a dorm. You get a place near everything - no need for a car - and a bike might be all you want to get around. There is lots for students to do in Tempe. It has one of the best college hangout areas in the country along Mill Ave. On the academic side, being in the dorms puts you right in with tutors and help if and when you need it. And you can get a meal plan that will allow you to eat as much as you want, whenever you want, just a stumble away. During your first year you can meet up with people and make plans for an off campus situation the following year. By then you will know your way around the city and what will work best for you.
^^^ THAT. Being in a dorm for your first year you will meet people and learn everything you need to know about places to live/work. Plus, it will reduce stress while you get established in school. For an out-of-state 18-year-old to live off campus is not the greatest idea. Get acclimated, learn, and then establish yourself off campus for your following three years as an undergrad. The U has a good idea in requiring this (I say as a former state university professor).

Old 03-30-2015, 07:41 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,222,809 times
Quote:
Except its not as easy to get into the final 2 years of a bachelor's program as it is to get admitted to ASU. I know people who were in Architecture and Business programs who wasted 2 years because they didn't make the cut to the professional level. The architecture student changed majors, the business student had to go to the East campus for a BA. In other words, you better not get caught up in the party scene. Furthermore my ASU MBA is ranked higher than UA's so ASU>UA

Old 03-30-2015, 07:43 PM

10,720 posts, read 23,633,386 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueGecko1 View Post
Yes they would. I have absolutely amazing parents and they're willing to help me out. That's not to say I'll become dependent and lazy, but they'll help me cover the cost of college. I want to get a part time job there as well. I hate the north east and Connecticut. For many, many reasons I really want to change where I am. Arizona to me seems to offer the most as far as what I want to do in my life and career while also costing less than most places.

If anyone can help answer some of the questions I ask it would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!
I really like your attitude. Sounds like the seed has been planted. Come on out to the desert, I bet you'll love it. I moved from Massachusetts to New Mexico in 2012, and I'm moving to Arizona later in the year. The Valley is beautiful, the skies out here are absolutely awesome, the sunsets are epic with purple mountains surrounding the valley, and the light makes you feel good. Arizona has a lot to do with an exponentially lower cost of living than Connecticut. Can you a manage a trip out first to explore the Valley before you put your feet down in Arizona?

Last edited by Champ le monstre du lac; 03-30-2015 at 07:57 PM..

Old 03-30-2015, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Except its not as easy to get into the final 2 years of a bachelor's program as it is to get admitted to ASU. I know people who were in Architecture and Business programs who wasted 2 years because they didn't make the cut to the professional level. The architecture student changed majors, the business student had to go to the East campus for a BA. In other words, you better not get caught up in the party scene. Furthermore my ASU MBA is ranked higher than UA's so ASU>UA
Thanks for the help! I feel that I've turned the corner and I'm very focused. Obviously my first choice would be ASU, but if not a community college wouldn't be the end of the world either.

The representative I talked to at a college fair was very helpful with talking about the campus and their programs. I instantly fell in love with the location being so close to year-round baseball and having an abundance of reptiles. And I've heard ASU has one of the best business programs in the country outside Ivys! But it is ALWAYS good to get opinions from people in the area (hence why I'm here) and to see what it is like from various perspectives.

Old 03-30-2015, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert_SW_77 View Post
I really like your attitude. Sounds like the seed has been planted. Come on out to the desert, I bet you'll love it. I moved from Massachusetts to New Mexico, and I'm moving to Arizona later in the year. The Valley is beautiful, the skies out here are absolutely awesome, the sunsets are epic with purple mountains surrounding the valley, and the light makes you feel good. Arizona has a lot to do with an exponentially lower cost of living than Connecticut. Can you a manage a trip out first to explore the Valley before you put your feet down in Arizona?
I'd love to take a trip out with my family and maybe even my close friend who was looking into UA and ASU. My dad hates hot weather and my mom loves it so maybe I'll go with just my mom to save some money. I'm guessing I should tour ASU and ask a ton of questions there? Anything else other than general questions about the college, campus, living and activities?

Old 03-31-2015, 08:19 PM

Thanks to all of those who gave their opinions! They really help. I want to try and get as many different perspectives as possible before making a decision like this. Bump.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:30 PM

11,669 posts, read 17,829,722 times
The median home value in the Phoenix metro, for the first time ever, has surpassed the national median as of 2013. Prices are rising.

Old 03-31-2015, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
The median home value in the Phoenix metro, for the first time ever, has surpassed the national median as of 2013. Prices are rising.
Hey I see you're from Fairfield County as well. Are you moving to the Phoenix area? And the national average is still much lower than the very expensive Fairfield County. I'm not sure how well the jobs there stack up with ours though.

Old 03-31-2015, 09:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,477,657 times
Cost of living in the Phoenix area might be less than what it is on both coasts but it's still not cheap to live here.

Maintaining a car can be expensive because parts like batteries, hoses, and tires don't stand the heat too well, summertime utility bills can be costly too.

Reptiles and other creepy-crawlies are overblown, they won't be out and about in most urban-suburban areas, they will only be seen if you purposely go to a desert area looking for them.

I don't know how easy it would be to get an internship or a job in baseball, but it's a good question because Phoenix has an active pro-baseball scene with both spring training and the Diamondbacks NL. Maybe someone else in the know can offer suggestions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area