Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2015, 07:10 PM

4 posts, read 11,046 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post

Yes and no.

The power generated gets "eaten up" by the home directly during the day...any left overs go back to the grid. In essence the grid is being used as a battery backup...and when the sun goes down, you draw from that "battery back up". So that's the yes part.

The no part is that the solar system (the inverter specifically) needs a signal from the grid to work...it needs power fed to it from the grid to be "on", so if there's a blackout, then the inverter would shut off along with everything else in the house. There are some inverters out there that will allow you to use solar power during a blackout, but only because the have a small battery backup built in so again you're not using direct sun power...only what was stored.
I would definitely want the inverter setup to which you speak...blackouts would not be as worrisome - plus, if the end of the world comes, you would be in a good spot
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 08:07 PM

6,657 posts, read 4,947,967 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I look forward to the day when storage technology advances to the point where tying panels into the grid won't be necessary and true independent power generation will become reality. Perhaps in the meantime keeping panels independent of the grid and using the power company when extra power is needed could be an interim solution though perhaps storage technology isn't up to the task yet for even this.
I agree with the notion of keeping the PV separate from the grid. Once one attaches, they are at the mercy of the power company. I'm assuming a "solar user" who doesn't attach to the grid would not be subject to any of the new fees? Maybe I'm being naive?!

On the storage topic, Elon Musk is rumored to soon be announcing a home battery to be built in a Tesla factory.

hikernut

Old 04-07-2015, 09:15 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,894,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asudevil311 View Post
I would definitely want the inverter setup to which you speak...blackouts would not be as worrisome - plus, if the end of the world comes, you would be in a good spot
It's an add on to the TL series inverter from SMA, a couple hundred bucks. Would be cool to have but out here rarely if ever used...I can't even remember the last time we had a power outage.

Old 04-08-2015, 03:25 PM

805 posts, read 1,992,546 times
My father in law installs solar systems. I was looking into one of the loan programs out there. Unfortunately, payments are 20-30 years and the companies are charging over 20 grand for a 7k system (after the federal rebate). He can build/install me the same system for under 10 grand after rebate. But he doesn't offer financing.

until there are more readily available options for financing solar I am kinda stuck. I don't have the cashflow to buy a system up front, but I don't want to spend 3x the price (after interest and tax etc) just so I can say I went solar and saved 10 bucks a month because it was my only finance option.

Old 04-08-2015, 05:39 PM

Edigmadsm is that locally here for $20k+ for a 7kW system or are you located elsewhere? That is pretty crazy high...I'll send you a PM.

As for saving $10/month...you should absolutely savings more than that by going solar. And even though it sound like a sales pitch...it's 100% true that that savings will get bigger every year since electric bills go up while your solar payment would stay the same.

Old 04-08-2015, 09:52 PM

Yes, I was quoted around that by solar city for their 30 year LOAN program here locally. I then checked with sunpower because from my research it appears that have fantastic panels, and I could fit a larger system with my limited space. Ideally I would like to have a 10k system.

I only referenced saving 10 bucks a month because it was something like 90 per month for the payments to solar city, and in the summer it would only cover 2/3 of my utility, so then adding another 100-150 for electricity in the summer puts me at nearly 250. I suppose in the summer I would save a decent amount, and in winter not nearly as much.
And I do want to take advantage of not only the savings, but the renewable energy, and the other side benefits it entails...I just don't want to pay 20 grand for a system that I could have done much cheaper, but seems like my only option without cash up front.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:34 PM

I sent you a PM, not sure if you got it, but there are options like 20 year loan programs or lease programs of course, both with $0 down.

But yeah, like you said, there are so many other benefits aside from saving money...and even aside from the whole "green" thing which some people couldn't care less about. One of the things we absolutely love is the freedom of not being on a Time-of-Use plan anymore. Do laundry whenever, cook whenever...run the pool pump/water feature during the day. It's freaking great.

Old 04-09-2015, 01:05 AM

I was checking my inbox hoping to see your PM...looks like it didn't come thru though

Old 04-09-2015, 01:48 AM

Weird...just tried again and checked my Sent folder and it shows it went through now.

Old 04-10-2015, 09:15 AM

12,852 posts, read 7,051,650 times
So with interest 20 years of payments you pay about double what the system cost due to interest? How long are warranty's the inverter can be really expensive? Also it's unknown what the future cost will be to connect the system to the grid the utility could charge a connect fee for solar $50-100 a month which would negate the cost of the locked in 20 years of paying. While they have been grandfathering in I know that if you sell the home and SRP does not give the grandfather to the new owner of the home. This effectively kills leasing model in SRP area I heard Solar companies were going to stop selling lease models in SRP territory. I think most utility's want you to pay a flat monthly fee so they can still get green generation credits buying solar power from roof top and get the money from the solar customer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: