Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 10:23 AM

20,004 posts, read 77,372,455 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywise65 View Post
In Minneapolis there were times the sun wouldn't shine for weeks
I agree with your post, very nice and very true. There is one area that I disagree with completely, and thats the "sun doesnt shine for weeks" crap that I hear day after day. Of course the sunshine % here isnt near that of PHX's, but its hardly cloudy for "months on end" like ALOT of people think. I really believe people truly forget how many sunny days there are in winter in the midwest. Sure the gray days equal sunny days, and in some cases outnumber them, but on average the midwest rcvs about 50% sunshine in winter, down from almost 70% in summer. In fact, of most midwest cities, Minneapolis records some of the highest sunshine percentages. The problem is that people ONLY remember the bad in things these days, and naturally the cloudier days of winter makes it seem like endless dread for some. Here is the average sunshine % for MPLS from Weatherbase.

Average Possibility of Sunshine Years on Record: 55

YEAR Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
% 58 53 59 57 58 61 65 72 69 62 55 39 42

November is the only truly cloudy month in MPLS's winters with 39% sunshine possibility. December has 42%, Jan 53% and Feb 59%. Looking at those numbers its easy to see that it averages out to about 50% sunshine in the winter months, and 58% for the yearly average, which is more than 1/2 the days are sunny, which IMO is perfect. And I do agree with you that too much of one thing is monotonous, whether it be clouds or sun. The problem with MPLS is that its flat-out coooold, but not necessarily cloudy all the time like everyone seems to think.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-18-2008, 10:24 AM

18 posts, read 46,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaywise65 View Post
Nope, I wouldn't want to raise a family in Detroit. I wouldn't want to raise a family in any large city, but that's just me.

Being a Midwesterner I know how a person gets sick of the ugly cold weather. For me I hated the endless damp cloudy days more than the cold. In Minneapolis there were times the sun wouldn't shine for weeks. That drove me nuts. I thought moving to a warmer climate like Phoenix would be the answer. I soon learned that endless sunshine and hot weather is just as sickening as endless cloudy days and cold weather. Too much of anything gets old. That's why I live in Flag now. To me it's the perfect place. You get a variety of weather. Eventhough it's cold at times the sun still shines. Cold is a lot easier to handle when the sun is shining. If the cold does get you down, you just have to hop in the car and travel a couple hours south to warm up in Phoenix. The summers are awesome. It seldom gets up over 90 degrees. But stay away from Flag! Too many people are moving here because they have discovered how great it is. We don't need more!

You know for a younger person Phoenix would be a great place to experience, especially if you are single. You won't find a larger amount of pretty people anywhere. There are plenty of great night spots to party at and make new friends. When I was younger, I didn't worry about things like how hot it was, the amount of crime, was it a safe environment to raise a family, if the air I was breathing was clean, etc. I just wanted to meet sexy people, party, get laid, and have fun. If those are your desires, then Phoenix would be the perfect place to move to. You'll never know unless you give it a shot. Live and learn, that's what life is all about.
Yes! The cloudy days are unbearable, for 4 months, but to think of it being hot is just the same thing. Your right, life is short.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-o View Post
I agree with your post, very nice and very true. There is one area that I disagree with completely, and thats the "sun doesnt shine for weeks" crap that I hear day after day. Of course the sunshine % here isnt near that of PHX's, but its hardly cloudy for "months on end" like ALOT of people think. I really believe people truly forget how many sunny days there are in winter in the midwest. Sure the gray days equal sunny days, and in some cases outnumber them, but on average the midwest rcvs about 50% sunshine in winter, down from almost 70% in summer. In fact, of most midwest cities, Minneapolis records some of the highest sunshine percentages. The problem is that people ONLY remember the bad in things these days, and naturally the cloudier days of winter makes it seem like endless dread for some. Here is the average sunshine % for MPLS from Weatherbase.

Average Possibility of Sunshine Years on Record: 55

YEAR Jan. Feb. Mar. Apr. May Jun. Jul. Aug. Sep. Oct. Nov. Dec.
% 58 53 59 57 58 61 65 72 69 62 55 39 42

November is the only truly cloudy month in MPLS's winters with 39% sunshine possibility. December has 42%, Jan 53% and Feb 59%. Looking at those numbers its easy to see that it averages out to about 50% sunshine in the winter months, and 58% for the yearly average, which is more than 1/2 the days are sunny, which IMO is perfect. And I do agree with you that too much of one thing is monotonous, whether it be clouds or sun. The problem with MPLS is that its flat-out coooold, but not necessarily cloudy all the time like everyone seems to think.
I sort of think your nitpicking, in the winter, the point is, its very cloudy, its usually cloudy!
Right now, our forecast says cloudy with a partly cloudy day for the next 5 days. Oh, and with windchills a toasty -10 degrees on Sunday evening.

Old 01-18-2008, 10:57 AM

15 posts, read 63,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick754 View Post
Said the guy who recently moved there.....
I am sort of being a hypocrite, I'll admit. But we lived here before, so I feel we had the right to return.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorld! View Post
I sort of think your nitpicking, in the winter, the point is, its very cloudy, its usually cloudy!
Right now, our forecast says cloudy with a partly cloudy day for the next 5 days. Oh, and with windchills a toasty -10 degrees on Sunday evening.
Not nitpicking, just pointing out the facts. Its not "cloudy for months" as people think. MPLS has 8 clear days a month in winter, 8 partly cloudy days on average which puts it a shade above 50%. And like I said above, no doubt MPLS can get extremely cold, everyone knows that.

Old 01-18-2008, 11:11 AM

25,100 posts, read 39,254,467 times
Quote:
Not nitpicking, just pointing out the facts. Its not "cloudy for months" as people think. MPLS has 8 clear days a month in winter, 8 partly cloudy days on average which puts it a shade above 50%. And like I said above, no doubt MPLS can get extremely cold, everyone knows that.
OK Steve-o; we all know your agenda. Now, how about getting back to the discussion about Arizona rather than an agenda driven discussion about the weather somewhere that has no bearing on Arizona?

Old 01-18-2008, 11:20 AM

15 posts, read 63,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorld! View Post
Yes, I agree a little nitpicky. I love the Twin Cities, but the weather just sucks! Even in the summer it's cloudy a lot. It's really frustrating because Minnesota has an abundance of outdoor activities. It has all those wonderful lakes, beautiful parks, bike and walking trails to enjoy, but the weather seldom cooperates. I've also lived in Illinois. There is a big difference between the weather in IL and MN. Many of times I'd travel down to IL from MN and back. As soon as I would cross the Iowa border into Minnesota. I'd hit cloudy skies. It was eerie. You can quote stats and percentages all you want, but I'm originally from there. It's cloudy most of the time. Is it months on end, NO. Too often, YES. I said weeks and not months by the way in my other post. Even when the sun does shine, it usually doesn't shine all day long. The clouds move in and we're right back to a miserable cloudy day. Don't get me wrong. I love Minnesota. I just wish the weather was fixable.

Last edited by jaywise65; 01-18-2008 at 12:30 PM..

Old 01-18-2008, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatday View Post
Now, how about getting back to the discussion about Arizona
Ohhh, I suppose. But it'll cost ya.

Old 01-18-2008, 01:59 PM

128 posts, read 172,712 times
Quote:
Why do you care so much about the weather!!! Honestly, is there nothing else you have to do then come into the Arizona forum and try to convince people that the midwest weather is as good as ours?? WE ALL KNOW MOST MIDWEST WEATHER SUCKS YEAR ROUND!!!! Just because we are having perfect weather right now in Phoenix, and Chicago is once again suffering as usual and your ticked, doesn't give you the right to come here and go on about it forever! I'm so tired of reading a nice little thread and then out of nowhere comes some insane and inaccurate statements about the weather! No one cares! I'm glad you like the -10 windchill, with months of cloudy skies, and icy roads, and other frustrating boring weather that makes up Chicago. Maybe you should go into the Minnesota forum and share you love with them, because the Phoenix forum is possibly the worst place to try and gain support for your cause!

Old 01-18-2008, 05:25 PM

Ok, ok settle children! :O
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area