Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2015, 08:43 AM

2 posts, read 2,261 times

Advertisements

Hello Everyone,

I am looking to move from DC/MD area to Phoenix later this year and just had a few questions. First, I would like to secure employment ( I am currently in Human Resources)before I move but that seems to be a task. When companies find out I am not local they pretty much say they are not in a position to offer relocation etc... or they downright cut me off. Secondly, do you think this is feasible or am I living in a fantasy? I have even told some companies that I will pay my own RELO fees and they still seem not interested. So I am not sure what to do ...PLEASE HELP!!! Anyone know of any great opportunities or organizations that offer RELO?? Thirdly, if companies do not offer this , should another option be to just move without employment and live off savings??? Is the job market in HR steady enough to where I would gain employment in a few months? That would be my last resort . Also, I am a early thirties, professional, with no kids and want to live downtown or any metro sort of area, no burbs for me What are some great neighborhoods that offer this metro life, walking distance to restaurants etc.. Any advice or tips would be greatly appreciated !!!

Thanks,
PerfectlyImperfect630

Last edited by perfectlyimperfect630; 04-06-2015 at 10:07 AM.. Reason: Change title
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2015, 11:42 AM

6,954 posts, read 12,011,219 times
I would say you are sorta in a fantasy world . You are expecting a company to pay your expenses to come here? Um, not sure, but in today's work world, that really is unusual. Unless of course, you have some out of the world skill that the company desperately needs. Can't imagine how HR would need that enough to pay for it. And yes, most employers won't even look at you unless you have a local address.

Try to save enough to live here for a few months and then move. Go job hunting here. It's a risk but that's life. You could always take a menial job while you are looking. Also, downtown Phoenix is expensive. Maybe need to start out in the burbs. Good luck.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:21 PM

639 posts, read 967,242 times
Very difficult to get an interview with an out-of-state address unless you have a skill that few people do. A few options that some have used - 1 - put a post office box on your resume. 2, get a local google voice number (if they have any left, I know they were out of them last time I had checked but that was a year or more ago). At least you have the chance to get an interview with the local information and then you can work it out with the employer from there. It is likely though that you will need to pay your own relocation.

Old 04-06-2015, 12:59 PM

8,869 posts, read 16,266,754 times
After the winter most Americans had on the East Coast and in the Midwest this year, try to imagine how many people harbor the fantasy of moving to Arizona. They'd probably prefer Southern California, but they know Phoenix has a much cheaper COL. Businesses are flooded with resumes. Why would they not look at the ones from people who are already established here? If they want to see a local candidate they can make a call and set up an appointment for the next day. Forget moving, they can't even set up an interview with you that's convenient from their perspective.

Also, if you don't know Phoenix well enough to be aware already of what your options are regarding living situations suitable to you, why would you want to uproot yourself?

Sorry to throw cold water on your dreams but from what you've written it seems like you're being unrealistic about a major life change.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:13 PM

9,479 posts, read 12,244,306 times
It seems to be becoming a thing of the past for companies that you ALREADY WORK FOR to pay for relocation, let alone a place you have not yet started. it's not happening.

It IS possible to get a job before you get here, I know someone who did just that, but it is much easier once you are here.

Register with multiple temp/placement agencies/headhunters and put them to work finding a job for you.

Old 04-06-2015, 01:20 PM

2 posts, read 2,261 times
Thanks everyone for your responses...I was thinking that was the case ( fantasy land). I was told that Tempe is nice and they have a nice downtown area ( I have a friend that lives there currently).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area