Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-07-2015, 11:14 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,907,691 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I mean calling the department offices on the phone, or writing a letter or both. The "cheesiness" of the sign or the "unprofessional" look of the office have nothing to do with this issue, BTW.

You've got some legitimate complaints about the bees and any actual rule/ordinance violations. Make them in the appropriate way, (like leaving the attitude about the ranger station out of it) and see what happens. But, as others have suggested, you are not going to find the level of quiet you are insisting on in an urban park. You'll have to go further out for that. People are entitled to use public parks as they choose within the regulations. That includes playing music.
I plan on making a formal complaint, thank you.

And yes, I think the sign shows that a Park Ranger on site is just an afterthought, and that needs to be addressed, too. The rangers are always over at the 40th St trailhead off Shea, keeping an eye on things, chatting people up, keeping the place clean and organized, but theres total disregard at the Dreamy Draw side apparently.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2015, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Sounds horrible, you get any pictures?
lol Heck no. I tried to show my disgust by plugging my left ear and shaking my head, but she was just too lost in her little world to notice or care.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:00 PM

698 posts, read 583,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
I guess it all depends on how you look at it. Most people dont have the means to leave town all the time, so the beach is close and fun, and offers as much solitude and peace as you can get in the city I suppose. The desert, however, is EXTREMELY QUIET, and hearing people playing music on the trails or in the parking lot is an absolute jerk move.
You are using a public resource inside a major city. If you want quiet and solitude, spend some of your own money to buy a piece of land to use any way you see fit. Otherwise, deal with the fact that other members of the public may have different opinions of the proper use of an urban park area.

I can also guarantee that if you start complaining to rangers about the legal activities of other park users, they will treat you like the jerk not the people that are playing music you may not enjoy.

Old 04-07-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
You are using a public resource inside a major city. If you want quiet and solitude, spend some of your own money to buy a piece of land to use any way you see fit. Otherwise, deal with the fact that other members of the public may have different opinions of the proper use of an urban park area.

I can also guarantee that if you start complaining to rangers about the legal activities of other park users, they will treat you like the jerk not the people that are playing music you may not enjoy.
The signs strictly say "please be quiet, sounds travel far in the desert". Signs also say "no smoking outside of enclosed vehicle." Thats a clearly defined set of rules to abide by within the park, so no, Im not the "jerk" and what these people are doing is not proper. Theyre being the dbags by not respecting the rules and the peace and quiet that others are seeking.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:17 PM

7,071 posts, read 9,110,750 times
It's never going to be quiet enough for you in there. There are too many people hiking, biking, horseback riding and even unicycles! On a quiet day you can hear people chatting on the ridge above you. Or they can hear you. Most people and I suspect the park rangers are going to consider that quiet enough.

I actually haven't heard people playing music on the trails. At the picnic areas yes but that's expected. For better peace and quiet try some of the county parks like Spur Cross or the White Tanks.

Old 04-07-2015, 07:48 PM

32 posts, read 47,090 times
I don't understand why anyone would go to a park in the middle of a major city and expect peace and quite ???

Old 04-08-2015, 12:35 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,197,031 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
The signs strictly say "please be quiet, sounds travel far in the desert". Signs also say "no smoking outside of enclosed vehicle." Thats a clearly defined set of rules to abide by within the park, so no, Im not the "jerk" and what these people are doing is not proper. Theyre being the dbags by not respecting the rules and the peace and quiet that others are seeking.
"Please be quiet" doesn't indicate to me an enforceable "rule" but a request. As far as the smoking, that MAY be an ordinance. You need to contact Parks and Recreation and find out.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by locolobo13 View Post
It's never going to be quiet enough for you in there. There are too many people hiking, biking, horseback riding and even unicycles! On a quiet day you can hear people chatting on the ridge above you. Or they can hear you. Most people and I suspect the park rangers are going to consider that quiet enough.

I actually haven't heard people playing music on the trails. At the picnic areas yes but that's expected. For better peace and quiet try some of the county parks like Spur Cross or the White Tanks.
Really, Ive been to the McDowells, Phoenix Mts, etc, more times than I care to count, and theyre all extremely quiet, with the exception of Dreamy Draw, and one lone encounter at Phoenix Mts. Its the Dreamy Draw are that attracts loudmouthed, party-types, hence the title of this thread.

Old 04-08-2015, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kct987 View Post
I don't understand why anyone would go to a park in the middle of a major city and expect peace and quite ???
Uhhh, have you been to any of the mountain preserves around here? They're extremely quiet, especially the further in you go. Its so quiet back there that you can only hear an occassional fly buzzing around, and maybe an overhead passing airplane from time to time. People know how quiet it is, and park officials request you keep noise to a bare minimum, because sound travels so far.

I take it youve never been hiking back in the McDowells? Youd understand why people go to the parks in the middle of a major city.... to get peace n quiet.

Old 04-08-2015, 11:23 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,939,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kct987 View Post
Have you ever been to Central Park in New York? Peace and quiet

I don't think the OP is talking about people having normal conversations between hikers. It's the yelling, obnoxious rudeness and blasting music that's a problem. Its a complete lack of respect.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area