Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 05:16 PM

498 posts, read 541,139 times

Advertisements

Meh I have my doubts. Fewer listing and lower prices from a year ago seems to be the trend in the north end. There are no BUYERs, considering the threat of interest rates rising you would think the market would be heating up . The only thing heating up is the temperatures outside. Which are actually down this week
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 09:30 PM
SMG

490 posts, read 1,106,412 times
I am a Realtor here in the East Valley. No, values are not at 2006, nor are they expected to be. The market is brisk right now, much more so than last spring or any time last year. Interest rates are low, many property owners are no longer underwater and can now upgrade,etc. Also, springtime drives activity as the weather is great, holidays are over. All in all, it is busier in this market than it has been in some time.

Old 04-09-2015, 09:52 PM

386 posts, read 325,624 times
no jobs
no job security
too much debt
job transfers
property taxes

reasons to not buy a house

Old 04-10-2015, 12:22 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,622,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by slowdude222 View Post
no jobs
no job security
too much debt
job transfers
property taxes

reasons to not buy a house
if you lose your job and miss a rent payment in Arizona, you'll likely be sleeping in your car in 15-17 days.
With a mortgage, you'll get at least 6 months to pack your bags or remedy your situation.

And if you're a renter, you are paying property taxes. (And also property management fees, maintenance, interest & some amount of profit as well) to your landlord.

Old 04-10-2015, 05:05 AM

428 posts, read 5,881,124 times
guess i can tack on another $150,000 to my $300,000 profit so far .

Old 04-11-2015, 08:19 PM

755 posts, read 672,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
We closed on our house in early January. When we bought there were two houses on the street on the market. Ours received 3 offers. The other house is a short sale. It's under contract but hasn't closed yet. After we closed, 2 other houses went on the market and went under contract within a few weeks after being on the market.

I'm on the fence about whether we will stay here and make updates to this house or whether we'll move so I check Redfin frequently and it seems to me that houses that are priced appropriately are selling quickly. I am only looking in Chandler and under $400K.

I pay attention to the listings and the recently closed and can't think of any house that sold for more than its listing price. I'm not seeing an escalation in prices although you would think prices were inching up due to limited inventory. I think maybe prices are inching up so slowly that you can't see it when looking at individual sales over the last few months.

One thing I noticed during our search is that there aren't bargains anymore. The short sales are not listed at much of a discount. We refused to look at short sales because the listing prices weren't low enough to justify the hassle. There don't seen to be that many foreclosures and the ones I see are not at bargain basement prices. I'd take this as an indication that the market is healthier.

But I see nothing selling close to the highs of 2005 and 2006. It's interesting (and a little sad) to look at the history in Redfin and it shocks me to see what people paid during that time. Based on what I see I don't see how we'll reach those highs for years.
What the banks and gov't paid.......the people just walked away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area