Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 03:33 PM

650 posts, read 867,729 times

Advertisements

Hi! Phoenix is a place I'm considering moving.

I'll be 21 soon, going to college, and a bartender.

Are the people nice? How is the bar scene? Is there a lot of things to do?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 03:38 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,408,068 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalballmagic View Post
Hi! Phoenix is a place I'm considering moving.

I'll be 21 soon, going to college, and a bartender.

Are the people nice? How is the bar scene? Is there a lot of things to do?
It's a very large city (and metro area). Of course there are lots of "nice" people here. There are all kinds of people here, just like anywhere else. With ASU (the country's largest university) here, with several campuses, and just due to the large population in general, there are lots of bars. As to whether there are lots of things to do, I would say yes, generally, but a more specific answer depends on what you like to do.

Old 04-09-2015, 03:56 PM

226 posts, read 227,422 times
I'll borrow from the movie "Airplane"...

"Phoenix? What is it?"

"It's a big city with lots of palm trees and cactus, and it gets hot in the summer. But that's not important right now."

Old 04-09-2015, 03:56 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,956,308 times
You have the crystal ball.. you tell me... just kidding

There are a ton of bars here, can't imaging being that hard to find a bartending job if you know what your doing.

At 21, the bar scene on Mill in Tempe is where you want to be to meet people/hang out. But if you want to make money, you need to bartend in Scottsdale.

Old 04-09-2015, 07:37 PM

16 posts, read 51,544 times
Yeah if I was 21 I'd love to live in Tempe, but I also love the sun/outdoors. The whole city is very suburban but you still get good bars/nightlife in Tempe for someone your age.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:16 AM

2 posts, read 1,013 times
Any negative threads are often deleted on this site. PHX is horrendous for young people and families alike. A lot of the comments you see here are from desperate real estate agents trying to sell the place. It is not safe, not friendly, and the ugliest culture in the entire continent. It sounds like you should be trying out San Diego instead.

Old 04-10-2015, 11:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy79 View Post
Any negative threads are often deleted on this site. PHX is horrendous for young people and families alike. A lot of the comments you see here are from desperate real estate agents trying to sell the place. It is not safe, not friendly, and the ugliest culture in the entire continent. It sounds like you should be trying out San Diego instead.
I don't work in real estate....

Your post will probably get deleted because it is not helpful. You should elaborate as to why, that way it is at least helpful.

I raise my family here and wouldn't have it any other way.

maybe it wasn't a place for you, but we have been one of the fastest growing metro areas in the country for over a decade, so something must be going right.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:32 PM

1,424 posts, read 2,487,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roy79 View Post
I wouldn't personally move to Phoenix, not my vibe...but my family loves it. They moved there last year (Gilbert), and they like the slow paced of life compared to Southern California. Also, my little siblings (10 and 6years old) love their schools and they are doing great. I just visited my parents and we went out to Jerome (cool little town!) and Prescott for the weekend...just gorgeous, sunny and in the 70's all weekend.

I do think the people are weird though. Especially in Gilbert. Not sure if it is the Mormon factor, but we are Latino and sometimes they just stare...like we are fish out of water. Besides that though, it's alright place if you enjoy the pleasures of suburbia and don't mind the heat.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I do think the people are weird though. Especially in Gilbert. Not sure if it is the Mormon factor, but we are Latino and sometimes they just stare...like we are fish out of water. Besides that though, it's alright place if you enjoy the pleasures of suburbia and don't mind the heat.
Gilbert is like 20% hispanic. My wife is hispanic and I can assure you no one has ever treated her differently or made her feel uncomfortable here. The media tries hard to start some class warfare here, but I have never seen any in the valley.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:59 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RudyOD View Post
I wouldn't personally move to Phoenix, not my vibe...but my family loves it. They moved there last year (Gilbert), and they like the slow paced of life compared to Southern California. Also, my little siblings (10 and 6years old) love their schools and they are doing great. I just visited my parents and we went out to Jerome (cool little town!) and Prescott for the weekend...just gorgeous, sunny and in the 70's all weekend.

It must be something else. In a place where a third of the population is latino, you are not getting looks because of that - even in Gilbert.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area