Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2015, 10:28 PM

21 posts, read 33,910 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

This will be my family's first summer in Phoenix and our cars do not have any tint on them. I have noticed that most cars here have tint though some folks opt for no tint. My question is: does it really make a difference? If so, are their different kind of tints or brands that are more effective? My main goal would be to keep our cars as cool as possible in the summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2015, 10:33 PM

518 posts, read 866,785 times
I never thought about whether it makes much difference. Since so many cars have it here, I'd bet it does. And it makes your car look better/cooler for a relatively small price. That alone is worth the investment I'd say.

Old 04-09-2015, 10:52 PM

38,948 posts, read 50,859,936 times
Absolutely. The metalized ones reduce interior temps and radiant heat just like a low-e window glass does, but the big thing is the reduction in glare/brightness/sun. Tint is the very first thing I have done to every car I own. Most of the dealers put it and overcharge for it these days as well. You also get some privacy over plain windows if you go with darker tint on the back windows.

Old 04-09-2015, 11:24 PM

211 posts, read 541,918 times
100% they do. I moved to Az in December from Ma. Where cars are only suppose to have 35%. Here fronts only need to be 35%. The rest any darkness. So I'm having my rear windows done darker. As a matter of fact I Also just did some of my house windows that face the sun. It made a huge difference in the heat not coming thru now. I'm now in the process of tinting all my windows in my house. For those who think the black screens do a lot. They do nothing compared to actually tinting your home windows.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:34 AM

44,540 posts, read 61,208,520 times
They definitely do help and also a Dashmat helps too.

Old 04-10-2015, 12:37 AM

9,091 posts, read 19,132,740 times
Absolutely.

Work with a reputable shop. Shouldn't be too expensive and well worth the cost.

Old 04-10-2015, 01:28 AM

6,343 posts, read 14,591,133 times
If you're paying enough for tint to call it an "investment", you're doing it wrong. ;-)

Sign up for groupon (free) & check for current deals, or check craigslist for tint guys who will come to your garage & install it right there. Shouldn't cost much more than a hundo unless you drive a pope-mobile.

Old 04-10-2015, 03:27 AM

8,869 posts, read 16,238,010 times
I don't give a fig if my car looks "cool." But I definitely do care that I was constantly getting sunburned on my left arm and the left side of my face and neck from driving the car I brought here from back East. Even wearing sunscreen, as I do every day. Even with the windows closed and the air conditioning on. I got the car windows tinted and no more sunburn.

Worth every penny. The shop that did my car had recliner chairs to sit in while I waited and free bottled water. I took a book but they had a TV and magazines, too. Get an appointment because a lot of the well-priced shops do tons of cars for the local new-car dealers and sometimes are heavily booked.

Only get the tint grade that's legal because cops definitely WILL stop you if your tint is too dark. I got all the windows tinted, not just the front, with the extra reflector strip on the top of the windshield.

I still use a folding reflector for the windshield because even with tint the steering wheel gets too hot to touch in the summer if you're parked in the sun.

Last edited by Jukesgrrl; 04-10-2015 at 03:37 AM.. Reason: added info

Old 04-10-2015, 07:24 AM

38,948 posts, read 50,859,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wit-nit View Post
They definitely do help and also a Dashmat helps too.
The Dashmat is the second thing I get..

Old 04-10-2015, 08:43 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,567,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluejay55 View Post
Hi all,

This will be my family's first summer in Phoenix and our cars do not have any tint on them. I have noticed that most cars here have tint though some folks opt for no tint. My question is: does it really make a difference? If so, are their different kind of tints or brands that are more effective? My main goal would be to keep our cars as cool as possible in the summer. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Yep!

Tinted windows make a major difference! They keep you cooler during a sunny day, and keep ol' sol out of your eyeball! In fact, here's an eyeball test for you: try walking out into the Arizona sunshine without your dark glasses!

Last edited by Colt AZ; 04-10-2015 at 09:02 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area