Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2015, 07:23 AM

4,528 posts, read 6,215,422 times

Advertisements

Fry's is part of the Kroger family, as is Fred Meyer in the Pacific Northwest, perhaps the Fry's stores are migrating to the successful Fred Meyer format....Fred Meyer Ad.

Regards
Gemstone1
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2015, 11:12 AM

2,445 posts, read 2,572,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
I prefer the smaller ones, too-- when you are used to where to look for things, going in one of those is confusing.

But just for clarification, those larger ones aren't necessarily newer, they were built originally by another company that Kroger bought out, and they kept the same type store with the Marketplace name. Until recently, there was a smaller Fry's and a Marketplace store on two corners of the same intersection in south Tempe, due to that buyout. They kept the smaller store open for years, but finally closed it.
Do you mean Smitty's?

Old 04-12-2015, 11:23 AM

16,349 posts, read 30,056,253 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post
Fry's is part of the Kroger family, as is Fred Meyer in the Pacific Northwest, perhaps the Fry's stores are migrating to the successful Fred Meyer format....Fred Meyer Ad.

Regards
Gemstone1

Be happy that Fry's was bought by Kroger's as opposed to Albertsons or Safeway. The other companies try to run their grocery stores from corporate HQs miles away and rob the stores of any local flavor.

Kroger's generally let their divisions alone. In fact, you see certain aspects of Fred Meyers being adopted in Kroger's grocery stores in the Midwest.

Old 04-12-2015, 11:44 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,568,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
Be happy that Fry's was bought by Kroger's as opposed to Albertsons or Safeway. The other companies try to run their grocery stores from corporate HQs miles away and rob the stores of any local flavor.

Kroger's generally let their divisions alone. In fact, you see certain aspects of Fred Meyers being adopted in Kroger's grocery stores in the Midwest.
When I happened to be in Virginia, someone pointed out to me that Kroeger's was the parent company of Fry's, and back in Arizona I began noticing some Kroeger's products on Fry's shelves. Never ever heard of Fred Meyer though.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:56 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,706,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gemstone1 View Post

Regards
Gemstone1
I doubt it. When Kroger/Fry's acquired Smitty's, the converted their stores to Fred Meyer's stores. It lasted only a few months and eventually they became Fry's.

Old 04-12-2015, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post

Kroger bought Fry's in the 1980s.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:38 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,317,763 times
So - I asked while at the store this morning. CLOTHES! Just like a couple of people mentioned......not sure why the name on the city permit.....but we are just following the other stores format.

Old 04-12-2015, 02:53 PM

5,229 posts, read 4,568,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
So - I asked while at the store this morning. CLOTHES! Just like a couple of people mentioned......not sure why the name on the city permit.....but we are just following the other stores format.
To me, the term "Go Fast" seems to signify either more self-check-outs, or the installation of fast-food places inside the Fry's Marketplaces (such as McDonalds or Taco Bell).

But, clothes? How is that "Go Fast"?

Old 04-12-2015, 07:13 PM

824 posts, read 2,326,790 times
Quote:
To me, the term "Go Fast" seems to signify either more self-check-outs, or the installation of fast-food places...
It is also street slang for meth, but I doubt that is the demographic that Fry's is reaching out to.

Old 04-12-2015, 07:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I doubt it. When Kroger/Fry's acquired Smitty's, the converted their stores to Fred Meyer's stores. It lasted only a few months and eventually they became Fry's.
Actually it was more complex. Smitty's was bought by Smith's. Smith's was bought by Fred Meyer's who rebranded the Smitty's stores as Fred Meyer stores. Fred Meyer was bought by Kroger, who rebranded the Smith's stores with the existing Fry's brand and created "Fry's Marketplace" for the Arizona Fred Meyers stores. They retained the Fred Meyers name in Oregon. For those keeping score at home, Kroger owns King Soopers in Colorado as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area