Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2015, 09:17 AM

87 posts, read 116,190 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this amazing website and it's been fun reading all the comments on various topics. I would like to ask my first question in this forum and see how I do.

We are making a trip to AZ in July to check out areas for retirement in about 18 months. We want a smaller community, cooler summer weather than Phoenix or Scottsdale, friendly people, HOA is fine. Anthem (Parkside or Country Club) sounds really ideal for us but all that I have read, so far, seems to emphasize that it's a great place for younger families to bring up children. I don't read anything about it being a good place for seniors to live. Is Anthem a good place for seniors to retire? Are there enough seniors to meet and make friends? Are there book clubs, photography clubs, cinema, lectures, things like this that would make living there interesting for us? Would you recommend any other place if not Anthem? We are not interested in Sun City, etc.

Thanks so much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2015, 09:52 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,284,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisypups View Post
Hi Everyone,

I just discovered this amazing website and it's been fun reading all the comments on various topics. I would like to ask my first question in this forum and see how I do.

We are making a trip to AZ in July to check out areas for retirement in about 18 months. We want a smaller community, cooler summer weather than Phoenix or Scottsdale, friendly people, HOA is fine. Anthem (Parkside or Country Club) sounds really ideal for us but all that I have read, so far, seems to emphasize that it's a great place for younger families to bring up children. I don't read anything about it being a good place for seniors to live. Is Anthem a good place for seniors to retire? Are there enough seniors to meet and make friends? Are there book clubs, photography clubs, cinema, lectures, things like this that would make living there interesting for us? Would you recommend any other place if not Anthem? We are not interested in Sun City, etc.

Thanks so much!

Anthem or Sun City is going to be the same temp as Phoenix or Scottsdale. (maybe vary a degree or 2 as some areas of the metro do, is all)

Old 04-13-2015, 10:13 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,394,564 times
Anthem is not going to be a lot cooler than down in the Valley. It will cool down a bit better at night in the summer, but it's still going to be hot during the day. I've not heard of Anthem being a strong choice for retirees, either. There are lots of other options in the metro Phoenix area (even if you exclude all the Sun Cities) that are age restricted and would have more of the activities you are looking for. But if cooler summer weather is your goal, they will be no better than Anthem.

Old 04-13-2015, 10:31 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times
Maybe Trilogy by Shea in Wickenburg. Further north and cooler. New 55 plus community.
Anthem is mostly families and kids.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:13 AM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Anthem is not going to be a lot cooler than down in the Valley. It will cool down a bit better at night in the summer, but it's still going to be hot during the day. I've not heard of Anthem being a strong choice for retirees, either. There are lots of other options in the metro Phoenix area (even if you exclude all the Sun Cities) that are age restricted and would have more of the activities you are looking for. But if cooler summer weather is your goal, they will be no better than Anthem.
I agree. Cooler summer weather is not going to be located in Anthem or in the metro Phoenix area.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:25 AM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
I agree. Cooler summer weather is not going to be located in Anthem or in the metro Phoenix area.
Agreed, gotta head north if you want cooler weather.
The Prescott and Payson areas both offer easy access to the Phoenix area and have mild winters and cooler summers than Phoenix.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:42 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
I live in Anthem (Parkside). I'd definitely say Parkside is more families with kids. Country Club might be a little more geared toward older folks, but it's not a retirement community per se. It is a degree or two cooler than Phoenix, but not significantly so. As others mentioned, for cooler weather you might want to look at Prescott or $edona. Sedona won't be quiet, though, as its a major tourist area, but quite beautiful.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:50 AM

7,068 posts, read 6,463,318 times
I 2nd Prescott, and Prescott Valley as perhaps an ideal location weather wise. If you want even cooler summers, Flagstaff/that area might be something you're interested in but the winter nights get cold. You can drive south near Tucson to a place called Oro Valley which is a bit cooler than the Phoenix valley. It's all a game of elevation in AZ and you can pretty much find your ideal weather using this factor. Just a suggestion....for the weather angle, go to a weather site and look at the average month highs/lows for various Arizona cities and you'll get a good idea of what weather to expect for the different months of the year.

Old 04-13-2015, 01:31 PM

19,429 posts, read 27,804,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcajones View Post
Agreed, gotta head north if you want cooler weather.
The Prescott and Payson areas both offer easy access to the Phoenix area and have mild winters and cooler summers than Phoenix.
True, but a VERY different lifestyle, and considerably cooler winters.

But, realistically, there is no place in the US that has perfect, or even close to perfect, weather year 'round.

Old 04-13-2015, 02:58 PM

698 posts, read 587,210 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daisypups View Post
Hi Everyone,

Thanks so much!
I don't think it would hold much appeal for retirees. The weather is identical to Phoenix, especially north Phoenix. It is also not very close to true emergency medical care, which is important for someone to consider as they age.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area