Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-18-2015, 10:06 AM

228 posts, read 342,461 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
No current plans or proposals for a modified year-round schedule in the Gilbert district. Are you sure they weren't in the Higley district? Higley is moving to a modified year-round schedule for the next school year.
Ah, probably that, thanks - I assumed Gilbert schools, but where they live it could well be Higley.
Quick reply to this message

Old 04-19-2015, 05:55 PM

109 posts, read 162,937 times
Good stuff! Ajonesaz- What type of wildlife? We are currently in North San Diego county and see some coyotes, an occasional gardern snake but nothing serious.
The year round school thing sounds great. The mesa schools near Las Sendas are very highly rated, does the district allow inner district choice? (i.e. When one can drive their child to the school of their choice as long as it is in district?)

I did notice Las Sendes seemed quiet but it was the middle of the day when we looked I am hoping it is not all retirees.

We have a fairly decent budget is their a place we are missing? We are looking for a family friendly area with lots to do, good schools, that master planned community feel and fairly close to the Scottsdale tech corridor area.

One option we were considering is some of the older homes in Scottdale but my impression is that it is not very family friendly and it would be difficult to meet others quickly to assimilate.

Old 04-19-2015, 06:42 PM

639 posts, read 966,425 times
If you like Mesa for the location, Las Sendas is a great place to choose within the city. It's in East Mesa, which is the only area of the city of Mesa I typically recommend to people who have a good budget to work with. That being said, Seville in Gilbert is also nice. Go with wherever you can find a house you prefer and a commute that's best for you - either way, you can't go wrong.

Old 04-20-2015, 01:51 AM

8,028 posts, read 12,190,422 times
The best thing to do as far as schools is go private if at all possible. Public schools are horrible, but the Phoenix metro area has some really good private institutions to look into ... many of which have been in existence for a long time and are highly rated. Private schools can be costly, but putting your kids in a good one is very much worth the investment.

As far as the differences between Mesa and Gilbert: Mesa is more or less a city of its own with almost a half million residents, and not thought of as just another Phoenix suburb anymore. On the other hand, Gilbert is over 200,000 in population and still refers to itself as a "town". It's one of the safer suburbs, but kind of boring and prudish at the same time. Basically, it's a bedroom community and not much more.

Old 04-20-2015, 06:02 PM

228 posts, read 342,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Angelfan760 View Post
The mesa schools near Las Sendas are very highly rated, does the district allow inner district choice? (i.e. When one can drive their child to the school of their choice as long as it is in district?)
Yes - you can apply for an out of boundary exemption, and send your child to any Mesa school you're prepared to get them to. But two things:

- it requires the chosen school to have a place in that year group, and popular ones might not have;
- the exemption is annual and has to be reapplied for each year, so it's theoretically possible that your child might get bumped in subsequent years if the boundary had a sudden influx of similarly-aged kids who took up all the in-boundary places.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:13 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,943,887 times
Quote:
Good stuff! Ajonesaz- What type of wildlife? We are currently in North San Diego county and see some coyotes, an occasional gardern snake but nothing serious.
The year round school thing sounds great. The mesa schools near Las Sendas are very highly rated, does the district allow inner district choice? (i.e. When one can drive their child to the school of their choice as long as it is in district?)
I was visiting a friend in that area, as we were trying to load up his boat we found a javelina under it! They are not dangerous, but it didn't like being disturbed and scared the crap out of us.

Coyotes, rattlesnakes and scorpions will probably be more of an occurance. Las Sendas is big so it all depends how close to the foothills you are.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:19 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,558,280 times
I live in both Gilbert and Laguna N because of the work I do. I've also live in SD. We have the same critters here and a bit more. The scorpions are smaller bark scorps ( no vin roons) but more irritating and like to live inside. You will find that different, I hate them. Also, we do have wild pigs as mentioned and an infrequent bear or mountain lion citing.

Your allergies will be a bit worse here than San Diego, at least mine are. They say if you can take the dust and allergies you'll do fine. The heat isn't that bad, try and get a pool.

I'm in Gilbert but I will say it helps to be very religious. I'ts way different than CA in that respect. Gilbert is more like Santee but not as mountainous. I'm not a big church goer so we've noticed that it can matter with playmates. If you are, then you'll love it out here. They have a beautiful large Mormon Temple smack in the middle. It will also help if you're Republican, . These are just the social issues I have dealt with here but people overall have been really nice.

Everything else in Gilbert is great actually. I love all the newish malls and it's easy to make your way around. Pretty flat and it's all east/west, north/south driving. Roads are in great shape except for a few and I'm sure they'll fix them soon.

Queen Creek just east of Gilbert and south of Mesa is starting to really explode, it's appealing as well.
North Scottsdale is family friendly and a close communte to everything.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
I live in both Gilbert and Laguna N because of the work I do. I've also live in SD. We have the same critters here and a bit more. The scorpions are smaller bark scorps ( no vin roons) but more irritating and like to live inside. You will find that different, I hate them. Also, we do have wild pigs as mentioned and an infrequent bear or mountain lion citing.

Your allergies will be a bit worse here than San Diego, at least mine are. They say if you can take the dust and allergies you'll do fine. The heat isn't that bad, try and get a pool.

I'm in Gilbert but I will say it helps to be very religious. I'ts way different than CA in that respect. Gilbert is more like Santee but not as mountainous. I'm not a big church goer so we've noticed that it can matter with playmates. If you are, then you'll love it out here. They have a beautiful large Mormon Temple smack in the middle. It will also help if you're Republican, . These are just the social issues I have dealt with here but people overall have been really nice.

Everything else in Gilbert is great actually. I love all the newish malls and it's easy to make your way around. Pretty flat and it's all east/west, north/south driving. Roads are in great shape except for a few and I'm sure they'll fix them soon.

Queen Creek just east of Gilbert and south of Mesa is starting to really explode, it's appealing as well.
North Scottsdale is family friendly and a close commute to everything.
Thanks Poppysead! We are not Mormon and that has definitely been the stigma associated with Gilbert. As far as our political stance we live in a half a million dollar home and have a 1600 sq ft house next to us with 25 plus people living in it, many of them illegal. The political climate, how it has effected the schools, traffic, etc. and the cost of living are 2 huge motivators for us to get out of California. In my humble opinion, from an economic stand point I also think the state is going to continue to lose businesses. A pool is a must on our list! I can put one in for 50K or buy house with one for an extra 5K....easy decision!

Old 04-22-2015, 02:27 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,943,887 times
Quote:
Thanks Poppysead! We are not Mormon and that has definitely been the stigma associated with Gilbert. As far as our political stance we live in a half a million dollar home and have a 1600 sq ft house next to us with 25 plus people living in it, many of them illegal. The political climate, how it has effected the schools, traffic, etc. and the cost of living are 2 huge motivators for us to get out of California. In my humble opinion, from an economic stand point I also think the state is going to continue to lose businesses. A pool is a must on our list! I can put one in for 50K or buy house with one for an extra 5K....easy decision!
I live in Gilbert and I am not Mormon, maybe two families total on our street are Mormon and they are perfectly nice to us. I haven't seen any mormon "stigma" here.

Old 04-22-2015, 03:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
I live in Gilbert and I am not Mormon, maybe two families total on our street are Mormon and they are perfectly nice to us. I haven't seen any mormon "stigma" here.
No offense ajonesaz, personally I can care less what peoples religions are as long as they are nice and have good values and morals. I have been to church enough to know that these are not guaranteed traits no matter what you faith or how devout one is. My comment was in reference to every time Gilbert comes up the Mormon faith usually the next topic mentioned.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area