Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 02:59 PM

1,567 posts, read 1,939,353 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Usually snowbirds or Prius drivers (staring at their MPG indicator) in my experience.
It's a Prius, always a Prius

Old 04-17-2015, 03:39 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,612,144 times
There's no need for road rage. I don't understand those who tailgate slower drivers in the left lane and expect them to graciously move over to accommodate someone who can't get over themselves. It's always funny to watch someone in that circumstance give up, aggressively pass on the right, cut in front of the slower vehicle, only to have to slam on their brakes again because they run into another person who is going just as slow as the person they just passed. I have accepted that people here do not yield. The only thing you can control is how you drive.

Old 04-17-2015, 03:48 PM

7,343 posts, read 4,319,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by new2colo View Post
There's no need for road rage. I don't understand those who tailgate slower drivers in the left lane and expect them to graciously move over to accommodate someone who can't get over themselves. It's always funny to watch someone in that circumstance give up, aggressively pass on the right, cut in front of the slower vehicle, only to have to slam on their brakes again because they run into another person who is going just as slow as the person they just passed. I have accepted that people here do not yield. The only thing you can control is how you drive.
what's not funny is when you're stuck behind that slow vehicle and there are miles of open freeway ahead of it because nobody can get around them.

Also, you don't understand them just like they don't understand you. You are saying it's fine to drive slow and if it jams up the freeway and almost causes crashes that's too bad for everyone besides yourself. I can not understand that. Being that you're the slow driver means the crash will happen next to you or in front of you---and you will very possibly be involved.

If other drivers tailgate, get road rage, almost cause crashes trying to get around, why not just move over? Oh that's right because it's all about "you".

Old 04-17-2015, 03:57 PM

617 posts, read 1,196,174 times
I'll go as far as saying Washington State origin drivers are behind the bulk of it.

Evidence: http://www.city-data.com/forum/seatt...s-passing.html

Old 04-17-2015, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
what's not funny is when you're stuck behind that slow vehicle and there are miles of open freeway ahead of it because nobody can get around them.

Also, you don't understand them just like they don't understand you. You are saying it's fine to drive slow and if it jams up the freeway and almost causes crashes that's too bad for everyone besides yourself. I can not understand that. Being that you're the slow driver means the crash will happen next to you or in front of you---and you will very possibly be involved.

If other drivers tailgate, get road rage, almost cause crashes trying to get around, why not just move over? Oh that's right because it's all about "you".
I'm not agreeing with people's decisions to sit in the left lane. I'm just saying that there's nothing you can do about it. I haven't seen any signs on urban freeways here telling people to keep right except to pass, I haven't seen police pulling anyone over for holding up traffic behind them, and I don't see people in the left lane really going out of their way to let anyone pass. Slow drivers aren't causing the accidents, the clowns who pull ridiculous stunts to overtake one vehicle are causing the accidents. What is the point of even trying to pass one vehicle when you know you're just going to run into another one up ahead? It's asinine. Get in your car, turn some music on, turn the ac on, and go. You can't control anyone's driving but your own. You flipping someone off or brake checking them likely causes you 10 times more stress as it causes the other driver. If someone flips me off, I just laugh and go about my day.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:23 PM

698 posts, read 583,557 times
In my experience, the HOV lanes are too congested during rush hour for this to be an issue, just getting up to the speed limit was a challenge.

Also, does the OP expect a driver in the HOV lane to move right into a normal lane to let them pass and get stuck in traffic waiting for a chance to get back into the HOV lane? If so, that is too stupid to even discuss.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post
In my experience, the HOV lanes are too congested during rush hour for this to be an issue, just getting up to the speed limit was a challenge.

Also, does the OP expect a driver in the HOV lane to move right into a normal lane to let them pass and get stuck in traffic waiting for a chance to get back into the HOV lane? If so, that is too stupid to even discuss.
I think the OP is talking about how the HOV lanes function during non peak hours, not during rush hour.

Old 04-17-2015, 04:36 PM

8,020 posts, read 12,167,423 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matyoka View Post
HOV is NOT a fast lane even though it's located on the left. Also, I highly doubt that anyone driving on the HOV is going under the speed limit... Whenever I encounter a slower vehicle on HOV, simply pass it on the right and get back on the HOV without flippin them off.
Actually, the only time HOVs are special lanes for vehicles with two or more occupants is during morning & afternoon rush hour. Even then, it's still reserved as a faster lane. Think of it the same way as an express lane for traffic (much like an express lane at the grocery store). Single occupant vehicles can drive in the HOV lanes outside of peak commute times, but the law states that slower traffic must stay to the right ... which means that slowpokes in that lane are violating that law.

Quote:
I'm not agreeing with people's decisions to sit in the left lane. I'm just saying that there's nothing you can do about it. I haven't seen any signs on urban freeways here telling people to keep right except to pass, I haven't seen police pulling anyone over for holding up traffic behind them, and I don't see people in the left lane really going out of their way to let anyone pass. Slow drivers aren't causing the accidents, the clowns who pull ridiculous stunts to overtake one vehicle are causing the accidents. What is the point of even trying to pass one vehicle when you know you're just going to run into another one up ahead? It's asinine. Get in your car, turn some music on, turn the ac on, and go. You can't control anyone's driving but your own. You flipping someone off or brake checking them likely causes you 10 times more stress as it causes the other driver. If someone flips me off, I just laugh and go about my day.
Arizona law specifically states that slower traffic must keep right. Just because you don't see signs on the freeways stating this doesn't mean the law is non existent. The part of your post that I bolded is the precisely the problem: that law is seldom enforced. Faster traffic belongs in the left lane ... and drivers who remain in the left lanes driving ridiculously slow & refusing to move over are not only annoying & extremely inconsiderate, but dangerous because they impede the traffic flow and contribute to road rage.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:03 PM

Quote:
I am not advocating road rage, flipping people off, brake checking. So stop telling me not to do those things because I am against them.

there is not always another slower vehicle up ahead of the first one. There is often literally miles of open road. Also it sounds like you assume I am always the guy wanting to pass. One of my driving habits is that I try to get in a middle lane a couple miles before my exit.

Sometimes I am in that lane and others are trying to get around a slow driver---and the situation can be dangerous. It endangers me and everyone else around that cluster of cars.

If you are driving you and a loved one going 60 in the HOV during non-rush hour (when we know traffic moves as fast as 80-85 out here sometimes) and someone causes a crash trying to get around you, you or your loved one may be injured or even killed.

Let's say your passenger dies and you lose your left leg just below the knee. Now I get to play God coming down to question you...and I will ask if you were going slow and you will say yes. Then I will ask what happens when you go slow and you will tell me people flip you off, get road rage trying to get around you, etc. I will say, so you knew that would be the outcome of what you were doing? You will say yes. I will ask if this happens much, you driving slow and ticking people off. You will say yes.

Then I will tell you that you are partially to blame for the death of your loved one and the loss of your leg. And I will be right.

Old 04-17-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newtoks View Post

The OP only expects people to read the post and have enough common sense to know that this conversation obviously excludes rush hour and traffic jams.

Oh wait, you pointed that out when you took place in the discussion too stupid to even discuss.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area