Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 04-17-2015, 08:36 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by madison999 View Post
This isn't a thread about road rage, it's about whether or not people look at the HOV lane in non-rush hour as a fast lane. You keep talking about road rage---people trying to get around a slow driver is not road rage, it's just...people trying to get around a slow driver. That's it, that's all.

the bolded part--You certainly can influence what others do. Not always, but sometimes. Is driving slowly in the HOV lane during non-peak hours going to influence what other drivers do as they get near you? Absolutely! You are the action and they are the reaction ( a known reaction at that). Your action causes an unsafe situation to develop.

If there are 3 lanes of traffic, one going 60, one going 70 and one going 80, why do you insist on doing 60 or 70 in the lane where everyone is going 80?

Again, why not just move over?
You keep bringing road rage up. You started the whole thread about people where you're from flipping people off, then you bring up some scenario about my family getting wiped out or maimed by someone who is raging who cuts me off, then you try to tell me that slower drivers need to understand that they cause rage and need to take personal responsibility.

You keep trying to argue a point that isn't really worth arguing. Most people are not going to move out of the HOV for you here. Get over it.

No, I myself have no control over how anyone is going to react. Stop trying to argue that. If a driver wants to drive 45 in the HOV with traffic flowing at 80 that driver isn't causing anyone to honk, tailgate, or flip them off. That is just how other drivers choose to respond. You talk about personal responsibility. It's your personal responsibility to keep a cool head while driving your car.

I don't sit in the HOV lane for the third time. If someone wants to go 60 or 70 when everyone is going 80, what can you do? I can't make them go any faster. I choose to respond by letting off the gas and passing them when I can. Not all these other hysterics.

It sounds like you need to put the keys down.

Old 04-17-2015, 11:41 PM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
There is no fast lane, only in ones mind. I assume you are talking about the passing lane on the left. Now if you have a trailer you're pulling or a uhaul then yes, please stay to the right for safety reasons but I am assuming by your post you mean the people sticking to the limit.

If you don't go the speed limit, no lane on the freeway will get you out of a ticket. Someone going the speed limit in the left lane has every right to do so. If you're speeding it's up to you to weave your way through all the cars annoying you who are going the speed limit. It's not up to them to all move out of your way so you can have a the freedom to go over the limit.
This "fast" lane myth can be googled over and over again. There is no "free to go over the speed limit" lane, and nobody is required to move over for that jackass pulling up tooo fast behind you thinking it's the Phoenixbon. Speed at your own convenience.
Law or not it's a matter of common courtesy and sense. Impeding traffic and causing congestion is doing no one any favors, including yourself.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:23 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,610,327 times
Quote:
There is no fast lane, only in ones mind. I assume you are talking about the passing lane on the left. Now if you have a trailer you're pulling or a uhaul then yes, please stay to the right for safety reasons but I am assuming by your post you mean the people sticking to the limit.

If you don't go the speed limit, no lane on the freeway will get you out of a ticket. Someone going the speed limit in the left lane has every right to do so. If you're speeding it's up to you to weave your way through all the cars annoying you who are going the speed limit. It's not up to them to all move out of your way so you can have a the freedom to go over the limit.
This "fast" lane myth can be googled over and over again. There is no "free to go over the speed limit" lane, and nobody is required to move over for that jackass pulling up tooo fast behind you thinking it's the Phoenixbon. Speed at your own convenience.
Good points, Poppy.

Old 04-18-2015, 09:33 AM

8,390 posts, read 11,602,012 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Law or not it's a matter of common courtesy and sense. Impeding traffic and causing congestion is doing no one any favors, including yourself.
Well then stop impeding traffic and go the posted limit like everyone else. That's why they post it, so that everyone goes the same speed and that makes driving safer. I think that's the sense you are talking about and courtesy would be abiding by the laws made to keep all of us safer. If you want a faster limit, vote for it. You can't just decide on your own that the limit doesn't apply to you or anyone else, it does. There is no argument for this, you are just making one up to justify speeding in the left lane. It's all just a myth.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:40 AM

1,629 posts, read 2,628,471 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
Driving isn't about doing "favors." It's about getting from point A to point B safely. As I said, there is no law that people traveling in the HOV lane must yield for faster traffic. There is a law, however, that makes it illegal to exceed the speed limit. You're basically asking people to go out of their way to allow you to continue to break the law and put everyone's life in jeopardy.

Old 04-18-2015, 10:58 AM

9,196 posts, read 16,641,113 times
You guys can continue to try to justify blocking the flow of traffic, which leads to dangerous congestion, all you want. Do you do so to prove a point? I just can't fathom why anyone that wants to travel slower than the flow of traffic would drive in the far left lane knowing that they are impeding others. Any yes, the flow of traffic is typically above the speed limit.

Old 04-18-2015, 11:13 AM

266 posts, read 281,381 times
I've lived in 3 states, the last 4 in Arizona. I've never seen a better use of the HOV lanes than AZ. Especially during the rush hour periods. Yes, drivers are going 10 or 15 miles above the limit, but I don't see those just doing the legal limit in those lanes.

Those drivers that bother me, are the ones that feel that feel it is their solemn duty to keep everyone else on the road, not matter what lane, to keep the speed at 1 mile per hour under the posted speed. They'll find someone else doing that speed and pull up next to them, keeping more lanes blocked.

I would hazard a guess that slow drivers on the interstate cause more wrecks than speeders...!

Just my 2 cents.

Old 04-18-2015, 02:29 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:

Sorry, but this is wrong on so many levels. First of all, speed limits are not absolute. In Arizona and most other states, the speed limit law is prima facie, which basically means reasonable & prudent. You know as well as I do that cops will not pull you over just for going a few MPH over the posted speed limit, or for driving fast in the left lane. Hell, I've been in the left lane driving at least 10 MPH over (with the flow of traffic I might add), and whizzed right by a cop car who didn't pull me over. Cops are mainly looking for drunk drivers, aggressive maniacs, and those who drive excessively over the limit (such as 90 MPH in a 65 zone).

Also, your comment about a person driving the speed limit in the left lane "has every right to do so" is incorrect. Driving is a privilege, not a right ... therefore, driving the speed limit in the left lane is NOT a right. Nothing about operating a vehicle is a right. More than likely, the person driving the speed limit in the left lane is going slower than the general flow, and therefore is impeding the flow, which is ILLEGAL. Do you not understand the state law about slower traffic keeping right?

Arizona Revised Statutes §28-721**Driving on right side of roadway; exceptions :: Title 28 - Transportation :: 2005 Arizona Revised Statutes :: Arizona Revised Statutes :: US Codes and Statutes :: US Law :: Justia

This is what the law states about keeping to the right:
Quote:
On all roadways, a person driving a vehicle proceeding at less than the normal speed of traffic at the time and place and under the conditions then existing shall drive the vehicle in the right-hand lane then available for traffic or as close as practicable to the right-hand curb or edge of the roadway, except when overtaking and passing another vehicle proceeding in the same direction or when preparing for a left turn at an intersection or into a private road or driveway.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:38 AM

2,775 posts, read 3,759,929 times
[quote=Valley Native;39273152]Sorry, but this is wrong on so many levels. First of all, speed limits are not absolute. In Arizona and most other states, the speed limit law is prima facie, which basically means reasonable & prudent. You know as well as I do that cops will not pull you over just for going a few MPH over the posted speed limit, or for driving fast in the left lane. Hell, I've been in the left lane driving at least 10 MPH over (with the flow of traffic I might add), and whizzed right by a cop car who didn't pull me over. Cops are mainly looking for drunk drivers, aggressive maniacs, and those who drive excessively over the limit (such as 90 MPH in a 65 zone).

I don't know about this ^^

A few years ago I was coming back from Tucson. I hit 81, in a 75 and was pulled over and ticketed for speeding. Went to driving school and paid like $200 for the class. So now I'm very cautious about going above the 5+ mph over the limit. Just doesn't seem worth it to me.

Here's the thing;its not an exact science. The enforcement of speed is completely up to the individual officers discretion. If he wants to pull you over on a Monday for going over the limit by 2 mph, so be it. Then on Tuesday he doesn't bat an eye at speeders going 7-9mph over. We are all at the mercy of discretion. And, just to get to work a few minutes sooner at the risk of receiving a ticket, paying a fine and missing a day at work to attend a driving class, just doesn't seem worth it.

However, I'm in the group of drivers that go 4-5 mph over, unless its a school/construction zone. I'm not going to go 65 in a 65.

Old 04-19-2015, 08:42 AM

1,077 posts, read 2,084,528 times
The HOV lane is, for apparently quite a few drivers, the "GTF OUTTA MY WAY I GET TO DRIVE AS FAST AS I WANT" lane.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area