Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2015, 12:34 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,718,182 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
There is a Basha's at 7th Ave and Osborn...that is more in the Melrose district but, I think that would be the closest one.
The closest supermarket to downtown is the Safeway at 7th St and McDowell. The next closest would be Ranch Market at 16th St and Roosevelt. 7th Ave and Osborn is a bit farther yet. There is also a Safeway, a little bit larger and nicer than the one on 7th St, at 7th Ave and Osborn. The Basha's is small and fairly run down.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2015, 12:54 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,718,182 times
Quote:
Good points, informative...and yes I agree that there are some very good Charter Schools and Private options downtown. But they can only take so many kids. Condos along 7th Ave are going for $500k - $1.25M according to Zillow...homes ate in the $500k+ range...I guess if you are making the kind of money to purchase one of those you would have enough to send your kids to a private school. To your point, BASIS just opened a K-7 up on Indian School and Central area (I think), but those schools can be tough to get into. While I agree that families may not be the target market for a Roosevelt Row, historically that is how you are going to cultivate roots and "stickiness" of a neighborhood rather than a transient population of students, DINKs, single artists or empty-nesters.

Great little area, my wife and I drove through on our lunch hour a couple of days ago and she mentioned that we should bring the kids up and walk through the galleries.
None of the schools that I mentioned are private.

Arizona School for the Arts, by the way, is a 5-12 school that I cannot say enough good things about. The arts focus is in addition to, and not instead of, strong academics. Class sizes are small and it is accredited as a College Prep institution, putting it in the same category as Brophy, Phoenix Country Day School, etc. Our younger son went there (commuted down from the PV district). He ended up getting accepted to several top colleges.

Old 04-23-2015, 04:22 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,092,432 times
Right...but that is why I typed "Charter Schools and Private options"

Old 04-23-2015, 07:57 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,484,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I see the Taxpayer Sheraton is going broke and Phoenix residents will have to eat millions of dollars in losses. The Suns can't put a quality product on the floor but want the taxpayers to build them a new arena. There was a brief glimmer of hope, but it looks like the same old, same old when it comes to downtown development. Downtown Phoenix will never be what it never was.
I don't know about that.

When I moved here in 1996 downtown seemed like a deadzone and insignificant for such a large city.

But the last few times I went downtown it seemed much more alive and improved.

Light rail, ASU, Chase Field, and the convention center expansion I think helped spark more life, these didn't even exist in 1996.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:48 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,195,676 times
Quote:
Again...you are not going to see families move into those highrises unless their kids are going to private schools. The school district downtown is HORRIBLE.
For me, that would be even more of an advantage to live in a downtown highrise: lack of kids! And what kids do live in such a place are better off in a private school anyway. The public school districts are pretty bad everywhere you go.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
When I moved here in 1996 downtown seemed like a deadzone and insignificant for such a large city.

But the last few times I went downtown it seemed much more alive and improved.

Light rail, ASU, Chase Field, and the convention center expansion I think helped spark more life, these didn't even exist in 1996.
It has improved considerably in the last 20 years or so, but it still has a way to go. CityScape, light rail, pro sports, more concert halls, and an upswing in nightlife have made downtown more of a destination ... but there is still a lack of basic services like grocery stores to bring more people downtown to live. As was mentioned in other posts, the closest grocery stores to downtown are located at either 7th Street & McDowell or in the Melrose district at 7th Avenue & Osborn ... both of those locations are not exactly walkable for downtown residents.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:23 AM

1,217 posts, read 1,900,171 times
Quote:
Again...you are not going to see families move into those highrises unless their kids are going to private schools. The school district downtown is HORRIBLE.
Not every couples goal in life is to raise a family. Birth rates are at historic lows in this country and more and more young professionals are deciding against children. While I do agree that downtown isn't an idea environment to raise children, the fact that there are no kids down here is a huge plus for many, including my wife and I. The fact is, most of my neighbors don't enjoy being around children, never plan to have them and love the fact that our pool is free of them.

Old 04-27-2015, 08:37 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,092,432 times
Well...then there you go. Whenever someone asks on this forum where they can move and not have a bunch of snot nosed kids around you can refer them to the Historic Districts.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:23 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,700,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kytoaz View Post
Not every couples goal in life is to raise a family. Birth rates are at historic lows in this country and more and more young professionals are deciding against children. While I do agree that downtown isn't an idea environment to raise children, the fact that there are no kids down here is a huge plus for many, including my wife and I. The fact is, most of my neighbors don't enjoy being around children, never plan to have them and love the fact that our pool is free of them.
Exactly what I was thinking, Phoenix has more than enough areas for families to live in. I think a few urban areas for YP's and non-family seeking couples is a good thing the area. It'll be interesting to see if it can thrive.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:53 PM

1,600 posts, read 2,001,746 times
Las Vegas is getting a new area (perhaps for an NHL team) built with PRIVATE funds. NO taxpayer involved whatsoever. This is how it's suppose to work. Also, the CITY of Las Vegas tried to ramrod a sucker(soccer) stadium down the throat of taxpayers. Oh no, that was tossed out. And rightfully so.

Las Vegas is unique in that all of the pretty buildings on the strip is all privately financed. It can pull in enough visitors to make all those investments pencil out for the developers to spend their own money.

Las Vegas Arena - An AEG & MGM Resorts Partnership

Failed Las Vegas soccer stadium deal at center of mayor race - Las Vegas Sun News

Old 04-27-2015, 05:39 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,484,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by locolife View Post
Exactly what I was thinking, Phoenix has more than enough areas for families to live in. I think a few urban areas for YP's and non-family seeking couples is a good thing the area. It'll be interesting to see if it can thrive.
I'd agree, except even singles and childless couples often prefer easy convenience to grocery stores, gas stations, big box stores, and shopping malls.

Those things are more readily available in the suburban areas than in the center of the city.

Put a few more chainstores and supermarkets in downtown and midtown and you might see a greater percentage of people flocking there to live.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area