Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 AM

701 posts, read 1,421,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TA400 View Post
Jesus,

I said it several times, these are not opinions or "pre-conceived" negative notions of my own. THEY ARE THINGS I HAVE READ.

I was asking 'you' (people of Arizona) to explain these concerns. I thought I made this abundantly clear.

The only new concern I have is your reading comprehension.
What did you expect? "The things you have read" (nice side-step) does not resonate with anyone who lives here because they are patently false (and offensive). It brings into question what your sources of information are. Links?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-21-2015, 10:02 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,576,599 times
1) Is it true that Arizona in general has little culture? I've read/heard that the people in Arizona have very little pride in where they live having moved from different places of the country. I have noted that often times Arizona gets a bad rep for its population having very little pride and/or love of where they live.

Arizona has a high transient population. We have snow birds who live here part time. We are a hub for west coast, southwest, and midwest transplants. So yes, the city lacks an "Arizona" identity. There is culture, a music scene, hipster scene, beer scene, wine scene, whatever you are into scene. People have pride in their communities, even here is Arizona.

2) Being single and starting to consider settling down with another once again, is it true that most younger woman my age (24 to say 30) are often stuck up and/or full of themselves? Coming from Buffalo people and girls in general are very carefree, welcoming and down to earth. I've heard woman of Phoenix and people of Arizona in general are very status concerned and materialistic

Can't really help you with the dating scene but I would say that most people are not stuck up. People are very friendly in the area. Are there stuck up people? Sure, just like there are in LA, NYC, any other place on this earth.

3) I am an avid outdoors kind of person. Biking, hiking, water activities, motorcycle riding, tinkering with my 76 Trans Am, dirt bikes and motorcycles are very much a part of my life. I have read that Arizona lacks the ability to do these things almost year round because either it is simply 1) too hot outside, 2) these activities are not possible based on limited recreational venues or 3) there is little interest to engage in these activities by the people of Phoenix

Our winters are Buffalo's summers (without the humidity). Arizona (Phoenix) is an outdoor recreational mecca.

4) Night life. Is it true that most younger people my age tend to stick to the bars and clubs vs. stay engaged and active is other activities I mentioned in number 3?

Nope, Arizona is very active and outdoor orientated.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:03 AM

3,502 posts, read 9,576,599 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlainWhite View Post
What did you expect? "The things you have read" (nice side-step) does not resonate with anyone who lives here because they are patently false (and offensive). It brings into question what your sources of information are. Links?
He isn't the first one to have these false notions. He probably got them from this message board.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:30 AM

7,284 posts, read 16,606,000 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
He isn't the first one to have these false notions. He probably got them from this message board.
No doubt. I swear that some "people" on this site spread garbage intentionally. I'm not saying that's what the OP is doing, but it sure does seem odd that people with zero reputation and 1 post (under that handle, anyway) show up and seem to have a high proportion of argumentative and misplaced notions about Phoenix. it happens on other forums too, almost as if by design to generate arguments. Just an observation.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:38 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,914,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TA400 View Post
Jesus,

I said it several times, these are not opinions or "pre-conceived" negative notions of my own. THEY ARE THINGS I HAVE READ.

I was asking 'you' (people of Arizona) to explain these concerns. I thought I made this abundantly clear.

The only new concern I have is your reading comprehension.
Ignore those people, please. Im sure theyre just the type of people youve heard about here.

Anyways, people here are generally very friendly. I think the weather and sun contribute to that, big time. Come summer, people tend to get a little groggy due to the heat, but its not too bad. Think reverse cabin fever?

Culture? Youre correct. Theres not much here at all. However, I think most people here take immense pride in the state for the most part. Outside of TX and CA, youre probably not gonna see more flags plastered on cars or tattooed on people. I see it all the time here.

Girls? Sadly its true that most are stuck up and self-centered, egotistical, and materialistic. I think this stems from the fact that more than half the state's population is from Southern California. There are going to be lots of women here that are plenty nice Im sure, but dont expect levels of friendliness that you would find in rural Kansas, though.

Outdoors recreational activities are limited in summer only if youre not inclined to partake in them. I ride my bike for 30+ miles in midday heat in July, and climb Toms Thumb in late June, etc. Its not the most fun thing in the world, but it makes you appreciate the desert that much more. The eerie silence on a summer afternoon is otherworldly. Sadly people mostly go outdoors in the summer in the very early morning hours, then hide like hermits the rest of the day. I can say that the parks in the summer are generally empty, which is nice. In the winter with all the snowbirds here, the trails can get quite overcrowded.

Nightlife is rather lacking here in the Valley. Its mainly centered around Old Town Scottsdale and Mill Ave in Tempe. Scottsdale's nightlife is far and away the best in the PHoenix area. Outside of those two suburbs, its the typical scattered bars/sports bars/restaurants that you can get in Anywhere, USA.

Old 04-21-2015, 10:53 AM

15,242 posts, read 12,829,594 times
Andrew,

First, thank you for your service and I applaud your choice of potential future home. I'm moving to Arizona from California in a few years.

Second, I have to say I laughed a little when I read the part about few recreational opportunities. I know that is not your view, just something you gleaned from the Internet. But someone told me once (and I have no reason to disbelieve it) that Arizona has the highest per capita number of boats of all the fifty states. You think: desert state? Boats?

Arizonans are all about recreation. They work hard and they play harder.

If you're thinking about Salt Lake City, it is a beautiful place. The people are friendly. But if you're not a Mormon, you will always be an outsider. That's just the way it is.

I forget what your third choice was.

Old 04-21-2015, 11:11 AM

4,057 posts, read 5,076,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Girls? Sadly its true that most are stuck up and self-centered, egotistical, and materialistic. I think this stems from the fact that more than half the state's population is from Southern California. There are going to be lots of women here that are plenty nice Im sure, but dont expect levels of friendliness that you would find in rural Kansas, though.
Actually...this is incorrect. Only 9% of Arizona's population are from California as of 2012:

Scroll Down to AZ

Visual Map

Old 04-21-2015, 12:56 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,914,355 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Actually...this is incorrect. Only 9% of Arizona's population are from California as of 2012:

Scroll Down to AZ

Visual Map
Well, obviously it wont be half, I was only kididng. But at nearly 10%, thats by far the biggest chunk of transplants here in AZ. The next runners-up were NY and IL with only 3-4%. You cant go a block or two around here w/o seeing several CA plates.

Old 04-22-2015, 11:26 PM

6 posts, read 10,048 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Well, obviously it wont be half, I was only kididng. But at nearly 10%, thats by far the biggest chunk of transplants here in AZ. The next runners-up were NY and IL with only 3-4%. You cant go a block or two around here w/o seeing several CA plates.
What is wrong with that though?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area