Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2015, 07:57 PM

1 posts, read 1,430 times

Advertisements

The traffic reports are vital during rush hours. Detour Dan does a great job giving detour routes.

There is a big variety of shows.

I like KTAR
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 08:12 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,479,218 times
KTAR didn't change its format.

The station is still news-talk, it's not like they switched to a musical format.

I only wish it would be more news and less talk.

Old 04-24-2015, 08:17 PM

4,235 posts, read 14,002,528 times
for those interested.....

Arizona's first radio station (the FM thing didn't start until 2006).....does anybody know what KTAR stands for??!!

legendary radio station in Arizona.....

KTAR (AM) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-24-2015, 09:11 PM

1,629 posts, read 2,613,435 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azdr0710 View Post
for those interested.....

Arizona's first radio station (the FM thing didn't start until 2006).....does anybody know what KTAR stands for??!!

legendary radio station in Arizona.....

KTAR (AM) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Keep Taking the Arizona Republic?

Old 04-25-2015, 10:14 AM

19,368 posts, read 27,593,685 times
What happened to Barry Young? We always liked him in the morning, along with Cruella Michella whatever.

Old 04-25-2015, 04:07 PM

975 posts, read 1,395,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Actually I like the 6 minute traffic reports. Maybe a bit overzealous but handy in the morning. Dave Ramsey is only on from 12-2...you don't have to listen to him if you don't want to. Mac and Gaydos are on from 2 - 6 and I do enjoy their show on the way home. Even if they are a bit goofy and have WAY too many commercials. There is someone on from 9-12 but I'm not usually in the car at that time and I don't remember his name.
I can't stand the 6 minute traffic reports. The 9 minute traffic reports (which was the standard until last week) were absolutely sufficient. I anticipate that this is a sign that Ned Foster may be close to retirement, and I loved the banter he has with Connie (who always sounds like she pronounces her name "Colony") and Paul.

I do like Detour Dan. He used to do traffic for 98.7 The Peak (before it switched to Arizona Sports) as well as KTAR (and when he was on the Peak he was hilarious).

The 9-12 show is the Bruce St. James show. He's not bad and has a similar political philosophy to Mac and Gaydos.

Old 04-26-2015, 07:17 PM

3,515 posts, read 3,661,238 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
What happened to Barry Young? We always liked him in the morning, along with Cruella Michella whatever.

That is KFYI I believe.

I still listen to KTAR a bit here and ther but the evenings are worthless. They used to have Gaydos After Dark which was at least decent to, now its all Dave Ramsay for like 4 hours. Nothing against Dave but listening to recordings of random caller after random caller talking about how crappy their financial situation is or how they are "100% debt free" gets rather old after awhile.

Even Mac and Gaydos are far less interesting than they used to be IMO. I hear them regurgitating the same milquetoast opinions which have seemingly been modified to be as unoffensive as possible. I'd rather listen to two guys from completely different viewpoints telling it like they see it and letting the chips fall where they may, instead you get a lot of second and third rate news stories that they harp on forever and its not even really all that entertaining anymore since they've seemingly sanitized all commentary down to an unrecognizable salty and watered down gruel.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:45 PM

226 posts, read 226,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Was that still Paul Calvisi? I stopped listening to that morning show years ago because of him.
Yeah, that's the guy. Paul Calvisi. He made the morning show entertaining, at least somewhat, in between the re-hash every 10 minutes of the latest bombing, shooting, terrorist attack, etc.

Old 04-27-2015, 12:51 PM

226 posts, read 226,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
I can't stand the 6 minute traffic reports. The 9 minute traffic reports (which was the standard until last week) were absolutely sufficient. I anticipate that this is a sign that Ned Foster may be close to retirement, and I loved the banter he has with Connie (who always sounds like she pronounces her name "Colony") and Paul.
I agree, the traffic reports every 9 minutes were just fine. It's understandable that in a major event, crash or high speed chase, you'd want traffic reports literally every minute. Otherwise, it's overkill. Okay, the 101 is backed up from 67th Avenue to the 51. 6 minutes later - still backed up. Six minutes after that - yep, 101 backed up from 67th to the 51. Sheesh....

Quote:
The 9-12 show is the Bruce St. James show. He's not bad and has a similar political philosophy to Mac and Gaydos.
Mac and Gaydos used to be pretty funny. Now they are just... lame and dumb. Even their "Fact or Fiction" segment has jumped the shark. Their entire Sunday morning programming has jumped the shark. Especially that financial show, the one at 9am with that guy who sounds like he's about to say "Get off my lawn!!"

Old 04-27-2015, 04:03 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,209,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renegade007 View Post
Yeah, that's the guy. Paul Calvisi. He made the morning show entertaining, at least somewhat, in between the re-hash every 10 minutes of the latest bombing, shooting, terrorist attack, etc.
Calvisi is still over on the sports side at 98.7.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area