Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2015, 05:32 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,502,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
There essentially was a circulator bus between Downtown Scottsdale and Downtown Tempe. It was route 66 and it ran every 30 minutes during the daytime hours. It was cut in 2010 due to the recession.

There is also the 72 that runs fairly frequently (every 20 minutes weekdays and 30 minutes Saturdays although on Sundays it's every 60 minutes) between the two cities' downtowns.

The problem is that buses don't tend to take people out of cars. Light rail and/or streetcars do.
Scottsdale decided it's too good for light rail and probably too cheap to fund it.

People who live, shop, dine, and play there don't want to be taken out of their Ferraris, public transportation is beneath them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2015, 11:12 PM

975 posts, read 1,404,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
Scottsdale decided it's too good for light rail and probably too cheap to fund it.

People who live, shop, dine, and play there don't want to be taken out of their Ferraris, public transportation is beneath them.
In Arizona, maybe, but not everywhere.

I've been to Chicago ,DC, New York, and San Francisco and have ridden public transportation in all 3 places with plenty of people who live, shop, dine, and play just like the Scottsdale crowd. Those people do think a bus that runs infrequently is beneath them, but not a heavy rail or a BRT (with less than 10 minute headways).

Old 04-28-2015, 08:07 AM

39,078 posts, read 51,224,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztonyg View Post
In Arizona, maybe, but not everywhere.

I've been to Chicago ,DC, New York, and San Francisco and have ridden public transportation in all 3 places with plenty of people who live, shop, dine, and play just like the Scottsdale crowd. Those people do think a bus that runs infrequently is beneath them, but not a heavy rail or a BRT (with less than 10 minute headways).
They don't have wide open six lane city streets to whisk them to their destination or free parking when they get there. If they did, they would be driving just like the people in Scottsdale do.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:10 PM

555 posts, read 862,099 times
Quote:

Please tell me this is sarcasm. Oh please.

Old 04-28-2015, 06:07 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,412,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post

For parts of the city, it's quite true. The nearly empty north Scottsdale park and ride will tell you that. In less affluent parts of the city, people use public transportation far more.

Old 04-30-2015, 12:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by petroglyphin View Post
No sarcasm intended.

It's true that the wealthier you are the less dependent on public transportation you are.

I'm not implying all of Scottsdale is super wealthy but there are plenty of youngish plastic millionaires who like to live the good life while residing with mom and dad.

Those kinds of people think public transportation is beneath them, they can't expect to make a good fake first impression on a bus or train.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:17 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
No sarcasm intended.

It's true that the wealthier you are the less dependent on public transportation you are.

I'm not implying all of Scottsdale is super wealthy but there are plenty of youngish plastic millionaires who like to live the good life while residing with mom and dad.

Those kinds of people think public transportation is beneath them, they can't expect to make a good fake first impression on a bus or train.
Sorry, but this is untrue ... or at the very least a gross exaggeration. I'll admit that probably fewer people in the upper income bracket have a need to use the bus or light rail system, but light rail doesn't necessarily bring in the "undesirable" crowd. Like I stated before, if Scottsdale really wanted to stop the riff raff from coming in, they could have reduced or eliminated bus service, but they didn't. The fact that Scottsdale is refusing light rail is more of a financial/budget reason than anything else. It's very costly, time consuming, and messy during the construction phase.

Old 04-30-2015, 01:28 PM

7,327 posts, read 12,336,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Sorry, but this is untrue ... or at the very least a gross exaggeration. I'll admit that probably fewer people in the upper income bracket have a need to use the bus or light rail system, but light rail doesn't necessarily bring in the "undesirable" crowd. Like I stated before, if Scottsdale really wanted to stop the riff raff from coming in, they could have reduced or eliminated bus service, but they didn't. The fact that Scottsdale is refusing light rail is more of a financial/budget reason than anything else. It's very costly, time consuming, and messy during the construction phase.
So, if this is the case, why is Mesa welcoming it? Mesa is a much more conservative city than Scottsdale; Scottsdale is only moderately conservative.

I admit that I would call myself a conservative (I'm a registered Republican), but I support both highways and public transportation. Interestingly, in my dream light rail system, the Pink Line would serve an area that is mostly politically conservative (most of Chandler and all of Gilbert and east Mesa). I don't think the area would have as much opposition to light rail as Scottsdale.

Last edited by Pink Jazz; 04-30-2015 at 02:07 PM..

Old 05-02-2015, 06:42 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,263,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
So, if this is the case, why is Mesa welcoming it? Mesa is a much more conservative city than Scottsdale; Scottsdale is only moderately conservative.
Probably because more people in Mesa are dependent on public transit than in Scottsdale. I don't think it has much to do with politics as much as economics and public demand. Another thing to consider is light rail was already slated to run in Mesa when it was approved by the voters on a county wide basis. What I'm wondering is: did Scottsdale residents actually get a chance to vote on whether or not to allow light rail, or was it the City Council who decided?

Old 05-05-2015, 09:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Probably because more people in Mesa are dependent on public transit than in Scottsdale. I don't think it has much to do with politics as much as economics and public demand. Another thing to consider is light rail was already slated to run in Mesa when it was approved by the voters on a county wide basis. What I'm wondering is: did Scottsdale residents actually get a chance to vote on whether or not to allow light rail, or was it the City Council who decided?
Mesa has more residents who rely on public transportation than Scottsdale, you hit the nail on the head.

It's all about demand and many people who live, work, shop, dine, and play in Scottsdale have their own modes of transportation or they take cabs because they can afford it, what do they need with busses or light rail trains?

Public transportation is beneath them, they know it and the city of Scottsdale knows it, this is why there are many more cabs and higher-end cars roaming around Scottsdale streets than busses.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area