Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2015, 06:22 PM

2,355 posts, read 2,665,725 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shane73 View Post
It's no secret why light rail didn't get built within the city of Scottsdale, mainly to keep undesirable out.

Do you have anything factual to back up that statement? I'd imagine one factor is just that Scottsdale is very stingy about allocating money for anything useful to the middle class, especially if it involves a sound political issue, like environmental benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-09-2015, 07:50 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,200,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Voebe View Post
Do you have anything factual to back up that statement? I'd imagine one factor is just that Scottsdale is very stingy about allocating money for anything useful to the middle class, especially if it involves a sound political issue, like environmental benefits.
It's not so much about being "stingy" as much as looking at the big picture ... specifically, how much it would really benefit the city & the residents to undergo several years' worth of annoying construction plus the costs involved to build the system. Would Scottsdale's light rail ridership meet or exceed expectations like the initial line did in Phoenix/Tempe, or would the trains run around mostly empty? More than likely, there isn't as high of a demand for light rail in Scottsdale compared to Tempe, much of Phoenix, or Mesa.

Old 05-09-2015, 07:56 PM

428 posts, read 5,881,436 times
I am just fine that the lightrail did not come into Scottsdale, and if it ever did, I would NOT want to see it go any further north than camelback (actually, Indian school, but i know its would make sense to get to fashion square). I don't see it even benefiting fashion square as no one is going to ride the lightrail after dropping thousands at neimans or the such... It would just benefit the local bars, and that, i could care less about how successful Scottsdale nightlife is.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:07 PM

8,081 posts, read 6,915,295 times
Default Scottsdale Light Rail Proposal, showdown rd. 2

What do you guys think? I think this would be good if you could then run it down Camelback or Indian School or even Thomas to Central.

Is Scottsdale ready to reconsider light rail? New routes proposed

Old 02-22-2016, 12:22 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,265,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post

What do you guys think? I think this would be good if you could then run it down Camelback or Indian School or even Thomas to Central.
I could see that. I like the "blue line" proposal where they tie into the light rail at Washington/Priest and bring it up through Papago Park, turn east on McDowell, then north on Scottsdale and then onto Goldwater to the Mall. Constructing the line down Scottsdale will be a bear and nightmare, but no more than the other major streets they constructed the light rail on so far. With this route you hit Phoenix Municipal Stadium, the Zoo and Desert Botanical Garden, SkySong, Old Town and the Mall.

Old 02-22-2016, 12:55 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,577,748 times
I'm not sure I see value in it. With all the stops and slow speed of travel, it takes forever to get around. Uber is so much more convenient.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:01 PM

7,310 posts, read 12,250,593 times
My preferred route would be a straight shot on Rural/Scottsdale from Chandler Fashion Center to Frank Lloyd Wright. The route in the grand scheme of things should be known as the Brown Line, since the area has a lower Hispanic population and the colors Red and Blue will probably be taken by the existing and approved routes.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:08 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,242,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'm not sure I see value in it. With all the stops and slow speed of travel, it takes forever to get around. Uber is so much more convenient.
It seems Uber would get pricey if utilized on a regular basis, if using it to commute to work or school for instance. I think it would be utilized often between Old Town, Tempe and Downtown Phoenix.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:20 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,577,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
It seems Uber would get pricey if utilized on a regular basis, if using it to commute to work or school for instance. I think it would be utilized often between Old Town, Tempe and Downtown Phoenix.
I don't commute.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:23 PM

4,619 posts, read 9,242,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don't commute.
Oh when you said you don't see value in it I didn't know you meant merely for yourself. There's definitely value there as many people that live in and around old town do commute to work and ASU or other schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area