Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2016, 01:26 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,272,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
My preferred route would be a straight shot on Rural/Scottsdale from Chandler Fashion Center to Frank Lloyd Wright. The route in the grand scheme of things should be known as the Brown Line, since the area has a lower Hispanic population and the colors Red and Blue will probably be taken by the existing and approved routes.

"Dreaming" again, I see. Would never happen.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2016, 01:28 PM

1,350 posts, read 1,358,738 times
I think it makes sense in terms of laying out a route that hits popular spots in that area. However, given that there is a real noise issue / whose side is the city on? thing going on in the Old Town area (it's one of the big issues council candidates run for/against as a platform item) and given the long-running tensions between the residents down there and the business interests in that area, I think the added issue of light rail might be too much to deal with.

That said, if people actually rode it, I'd prefer drunk people on a train to the current status quo of drunk people getting in their cars and driving home. So I am not unilaterally opposed to it.

Running it all the way up to FLW though is not likely to happen, it gets to be too low-density and don't know that it would make sense for the entirety of that run because okay you take the train up to FLW and what's up there? A big intersection, some car dealerships, and some outdoor shopping malls, e.g. the Lowe's and whatever else. Not exactly a compelling reason to spend millions of dollars a mile. I doubt it would ever get past Old Town.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:30 PM

7,310 posts, read 12,250,593 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
"Dreaming" again, I see. Would never happen.
Well, Scottsdale is proposing different lines. The "Yellow" proposal is a subsection of my Brown Line idea, but my Brown Line would go further north and south. Not sure if the final route would be known as the Yellow Line if this alignment is selected, since the other two colors being proposed (Red and Blue) will probably be used for either the existing or one of the already approved lines, since those are generally the first two colors that most transit agencies assign to rail lines.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I'm not sure I see value in it. With all the stops and slow speed of travel, it takes forever to get around. Uber is so much more convenient.
Since you don't commute, you don't see the people who use the rail now to go to work, or go to events downtown. I use it sometimes for commuting, frequently to go downtown. Haven't used Uber, don't need to, don't care to. I agree with those who say it would get quite a bit of use, but there's no need to take it into north Scottsdale. Those who will take mass transit into or out of those areas are served by the existing bus routes.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:49 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,571,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Oh when you said you don't see value in it I didn't know you meant merely for yourself. There's definitely value there as many people that live in and around old town do commute to work and ASU or other schools.
I was just thinking from my own selfish perspective. I suppose there's enough residential density around Old Town to make a case for those that need to commute to Tempe.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:49 PM

924 posts, read 747,442 times
If light rail does get added in Scottsdale, I hope it doesn't make for a longer/more complicated trip on public transit. For example.....used to be that I could just take the southbound 44th Street bus to certain parts of Tempe, but since the light rail was added, and the bus route shortened, I have to take the bus, light rail, and a neighborhood circulator to get to the same area.

Old 02-22-2016, 01:51 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,571,454 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
Since you don't commute, you don't see the people who use the rail now to go to work, or go to events downtown. I use it sometimes for commuting, frequently to go downtown. Haven't used Uber, don't need to, don't care to. I agree with those who say it would get quite a bit of use, but there's no need to take it into north Scottsdale. Those who will take mass transit into or out of those areas are served by the existing bus routes.
I don't take it to go to work but I have taken it from Tempe to go downtown for a game a few times. Each time I'm on it, I'm cursing myself for not taking an alternative means because it's so painfully slow.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:05 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,624,314 times
Looks good to me. Either would be good from my perspective. The blue one is probably more appealing because it goes past a few more attractions. Yellow is faster for Tempe-Scottsdale traffic. I personally like light rail and have used it a few times a week ever since it since it opened, mostly to and from the airport or meeting friends for drinks. Ever since light rail opened, I don't think I've turned away a drink refill on the flights home, since I'm not driving anywhere.

I grew up in Chicago and moved to Phoenix from DC, though, so I probably have a different view on public transportation than a lot of people out here. I can understand why people in Scottsdale probably don't want it anywhere near them.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DetroitN8V View Post
I don't take it to go to work but I have taken it from Tempe to go downtown for a game a few times. Each time I'm on it, I'm cursing myself for not taking an alternative means because it's so painfully slow.

If you are in that big a hurry, and want to spend more money, be my guest. That doesn't mean there aren't plenty of people in the proposed area who would use it. I like my $2.00 round trip.

Old 02-22-2016, 03:49 PM

9,576 posts, read 7,265,467 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pink Jazz View Post
Not sure if the final route would be known as the Yellow Line if this alignment is selected, since the other two colors being proposed (Red and Blue) will probably be used for either the existing or one of the already approved lines, since those are generally the first two colors that most transit agencies assign to rail lines.
I feel the primary identification for each line is probably going to be letters (A, B, C, D, etc.) with colors only being a secondary identifier. I will be the first to eat crow if I'm wrong and they just go with colors as the primary identifier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area