Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 05:49 PM

480 posts, read 841,778 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by icapri View Post
I am having some trouble figuring out what to do, mainly because there are so many weighing factors.

Should I consider selling or even a short sale? My monthly mortgage payment is way less than any monthly rental would be. OR have I just hit a bump in the road and need to stay focused and keep going down my list of fixes? Any constructive input is greatly appreciated.
I feel for your challenges, and it's so nice to see that you're stepping up to them.

I wouldn't consider a short sale, not at all, especially if your payments are less than a comparable rental. Because of the mortgage crisis, they extended the time period that a short sale will affect your credit. It will limit your lending options for 7-10 years. (Used to be 3 years.)

On the other hand, I would encourage you to have your pre-teen read this thread. You did a really good job of framing your situation. Kids are smart, even if they aren't very experienced, and don't necessarily see the big picture. Your pre-teen could show a little sympathy and empathy, and a little team spirit (not just teen spirit).

Rather than dumping on you and making things worse, sounds like a certain someone could learn a little something about what it takes to own, be responsible, and sacrifice current effort for future comfort.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 10:21 AM

566 posts, read 781,631 times
For all the well-intentioned advice to do one project at a time, for people who are struggling financially just to keep food on their tables and a roof over their heads, there may not be any money left over to repair or replace what's necessary to maintain a healthy home...and I'm speaking from experience. Life happens, so please, don't bang yourself on the head for what's happened. Just keep moving forward.

I think you can find a buyer for just about any property in any condition, if that's the way you want to go. Conversely, how much do you want to stay in the home? Is it because you love it or because you feel as though you'd be giving up after all the work you've done on it?

In either case, I've got a couple of ideas and might be able to help. If you're interested, please PM me. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
View detailed profiles of: