Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 10:01 AM

4,619 posts, read 9,242,523 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudawg View Post
All this deep-dish talk made me go to Oregano's yesterday. Had the deep dish, its certainly comparable to some of the spots I ate at in while in Chicago. Sucky part is it takes like 50 minutes to cook. I suggest calling in an ordering ahead of time!
Usually there is a long wait to get a table when we've gone to Oregano's, my friend who likes that stuffed pizza will order while we're waiting to be seated and enjoying a beverage
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 10:41 AM

3,187 posts, read 5,720,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
You've hit on three things that are really hard to find here...good pizza, good Chinese, and a good hot dog. For the pizza, I can't help any more than what the others said. Chinese, there's only one place in Anthem, Shanghai Club. It's ok.

I recently found a guy started up a hot dog stand outside the Home Depot in Tramanto. Pretty darn good, especially with the Coney Island sauce, and he does use poppy seed buns. $4 a dog, though. He has sausage too.
I guess if you are looking for Chicago style pizza that might be true. I have never looked for it since I think good pizza and Chicago style pizza are opposites. Phoenix is actually pizza heaven if you aren't looking for thick crusted overcheesed stuff. If you can't find something you like in Pizzeria Bianco, Pomo Pizzeria Napoletana, Cibo, La Piazza PHX, etc., then you just don't like good pizza.

Old 04-30-2015, 11:18 AM

296 posts, read 362,763 times
Chicago style pizza is my favorite, but I haven't found a great place out here for it. The pizza we like the most is Spinato's. It has a great taste and their Sicilian crust is thicker than an average pizza. It isn't nearly as thick as Chicago style. We never liked Rosati's in Illinois so we haven't even had it out here. In western Phoenix there is Vito's Pizza. We got a pizza from there once and it was pretty good, just not worth a regular trip out that way for us.

Old 04-30-2015, 02:13 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,955,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
I guess if you are looking for Chicago style pizza that might be true. I have never looked for it since I think good pizza and Chicago style pizza are opposites. Phoenix is actually pizza heaven if you aren't looking for thick crusted overcheesed stuff. If you can't find something you like in Pizzeria Bianco, Pomo Pizzeria Napoletana, Cibo, La Piazza PHX, etc., then you just don't like good pizza.
No I'm not referring to Chicago style. Have you ever had pizza in NYC, NJ, or Old Forge style pizza from PA?

Old 04-30-2015, 03:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
No I'm not referring to Chicago style. Have you ever had pizza in NYC, NJ, or Old Forge style pizza from PA?
Yes to the first two. That's definitely better than Chicago style. If that is what you are looking for then back east is where to look for it. The pizza that I am talking about is more gourmet and/or AVPN. I definitely recommend those places if you haven't tried.

Old 04-30-2015, 05:35 PM

Zagat just named Phoenix/Scottsdale to its "America's Next Hot Food Cities" list, saying this about pizza:

Quote:
Though the nation's fever-pitched obsession with Neapolitan pizza and its spiritual descendants is a relatively recent phenomenon, it has long been business as usual here, where an unusually well-developed culture of artfully crafted wood-fired pizza traces back decades. Phoenix boasts as many Vera Pizza Napoletana-certified pizzerias as NYC (really). Chris Bianco first started selling pizza in 1987 at Pizzeria Bianco and quickly raised the bar, setting an example of care and quality that has shaped the Phoenix pizza scene ever since. Inspired by tradition but not constrained by it, he paved the way for a generation of pizzaioli who are finding their own voices, developing their own styles, drawing from local resources like the heritage grains of Hayden Flour Mills and the groves of Queen Creek Olive Mill, and doing such great work that the hardest thing has become standing out in a city that's now crowded with truly excellent pizzerias.
America's Next Hot Food Cities: Phoenix

Last edited by pbenjamin; 04-30-2015 at 06:55 PM..

Old 04-30-2015, 06:13 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,955,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbenjamin View Post
Zagat's just named Phoenix/Scottsdale to its "America's Next Hot Food Cities" list, saying this about pizza:

America's Next Hot Food Cities: Phoenix

Maybe it's just up north here that's it's hard to find. I do like Barros but my wife doesn't.

Old 04-30-2015, 08:15 PM

3,424 posts, read 2,894,674 times
i'm happy to see that there are a variety of pizza choices here; it looks like it will take ALOT of Friday nights to go through them all and decide on the best ones!

I'm a little concerned about the apparent lack of Chinese/Cantonese choices though..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area