Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 10:24 PM

91 posts, read 148,947 times

Advertisements

My family will be relocating to the Chandler, Gilbert area in the next two months. My husband's job will be in Chandler and we were looking at homes in Gilbert and Queen Creek. Trying to figure out if it is a better idea to build or to buy a pre-existing home. If we build, it looks like it takes a minimum of six months and then we would have to put in a pool and landscaping in the back. I have no idea how much that costs in the area. We are relocating from the Denver area. And schools are not an issue for us because we homeschool. so I guess my questions are:
1. how much does an average saltwater pool cost to put in?
2. Do you think you get a better deal if you build or buy a pre-existing home?
3. Should we also consider Chandler and parts of south east Mesa?

Thank you so much for considering this post!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 02:01 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,904,457 times
Typically a new build will be more expensive than a resale and it makes sense (new car vs old car). We've done both and I LOVED the experience off building new, making the choices of what we wanted in the house (especially the structural changes that you would never do afterwards ie 8ft doors) and then watching the whole process and really knowing the house inside and out. Would 100% do a new build again vs buying resale I think, but then again it depends on the house too...there are some great resale home out there too.

If you want new but don't want to wait for the build time, look for spec homes that have already been built but the original buyer backed out, a lot of times you can get a pretty great deal on these from the builder.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:49 AM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times
Much more expensive to build a pool than to buy a house with one.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:58 AM

1,567 posts, read 1,944,542 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
But finding an existing home with a saltwater pool is going to be very hard...

I'm assuming you can convert a standard pool, not sure what the cost would be though.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:38 PM

44,566 posts, read 61,338,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
^^^This is true, you get more bang for the buck this way, house and pool wise. As far as converting to salt water contact a reputable pool company in your area for cost etc.

Old 04-29-2015, 01:57 PM

17,915 posts, read 43,262,187 times
I'll bet it would be cheaper to convert an existing pool, if the OP must have salt water, than to build from scratch.

Old 04-29-2015, 02:23 PM

39,003 posts, read 50,987,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ajonesaz View Post
But finding an existing home with a saltwater pool is going to be very hard...

I'm assuming you can convert a standard pool, not sure what the cost would be though.
For the newbies: there is nothing esoteric about a salt pool. It is just your plain everyday pool with some salt added to the water and a chlorine generator that produces chlorine plumbed into the return line. It takes 10 bags or so of salt and a the generator. The salt is about 50 bucks and the generator is an easy DIY for about $800 and maybe up to twice that to have a handyman do it. All that is required is a hacksaw and glue. Jandy makes one that doesn't even require that. You drill two holes in the pipe and clamp it on. It probably would be wise to start with fresh water too, so a drain and refill should be priced in. $1K DIY tops.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:22 PM

4,059 posts, read 5,092,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
For the newbies: there is nothing esoteric about a salt pool. It is just your plain everyday pool with some salt added to the water and a chlorine generator that produces chlorine plumbed into the return line. It takes 10 bags or so of salt and a the generator. The salt is about 50 bucks and the generator is an easy DIY for about $800 and maybe up to twice that to have a handyman do it. All that is required is a hacksaw and glue. Jandy makes one that doesn't even require that. You drill two holes in the pipe and clamp it on. It probably would be wise to start with fresh water too, so a drain and refill should be priced in. $1K DIY tops.
^^^^^Truth!!! All a saltwater pool has is an alternate system to chlorinate the pool.

Old 04-29-2015, 03:25 PM

109 posts, read 162,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessicarae1060 View Post
My family will be relocating to the Chandler, Gilbert area in the next two months. My husband's job will be in Chandler and we were looking at homes in Gilbert and Queen Creek. Trying to figure out if it is a better idea to build or to buy a pre-existing home. If we build, it looks like it takes a minimum of six months and then we would have to put in a pool and landscaping in the back. I have no idea how much that costs in the area. We are relocating from the Denver area. And schools are not an issue for us because we homeschool. so I guess my questions are:
1. how much does an average saltwater pool cost to put in?
2. Do you think you get a better deal if you build or buy a pre-existing home?
3. Should we also consider Chandler and parts of south east Mesa?

Thank you so much for considering this post!
We too are looking the same areas you mentioned. Seville in Gilbert was our first choice based on the community center. After looking the one thing you notice about Gilbert and especially Queen creek is how far out they are. Just to get to a freeway during busy times it can take 20-30 minutes according my realtor ( locals please chime in and let me know if this true).

We keep coming back to the northeast Mesa area of Las Sendas and Mountain Bridge... and asking the same question buy or build. The new builds have great floor plans, unlike their mid 80's and 90's counterparts. All the existing properties have that stupid waste of space of a formal living/ dining room. The open floor plans are nice in new builds, but we were quoted around 50k for a decent pool and minimal landscaping.

Keep in mind when looking at the new builds that everything is extra! Doors, certain windows, floors, counter tops, cabinets....you name it, it cost extra!

Old 04-29-2015, 04:46 PM

91 posts, read 148,947 times
My best friend lives in Freeman Farms in Gilbert and we really like that area. My husbands job will be in south Chandler. We should probably just do the smart thing and simply rent an apartment for a while until we truly get a feel for the area. I think I just wanted to buy because we have been renting for 3 1/2 years and I want to paint walls!! Before that, we have owned 3 other homes.

Patience in this case will probably pay! Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area