Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 06:36 PM

480 posts, read 840,427 times

Advertisements

Anyone have an opinion about in-ground vs. above-ground pools?

I see a lot of pros and cons with both, based on my understanding of the two options.

In-Ground
  • It can be more easily integrated into your back yard
  • Landscaping and water features can be really nice
  • More difficult to cover properly and keep clean
  • Way way way way more expensive
Above-Ground
  • You can pull it out if you hate it
  • It can be an eyesore
  • Way way super inexpensive
  • Your drunken Uncle Larry could cannonball a tsunami that would wipe out your whole backyard
Both seem to cost about the same to maintain.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-29-2015, 07:36 PM

639 posts, read 964,771 times
To be honest - we had an above ground when we lived in CT and an in-ground here. It is MUCH easier to maintain the in-ground than the above-ground ever was. My experience, YMMV.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:44 PM

2,617 posts, read 2,301,787 times
In ground pools add to and are usually the focal point of a yard when in use and when not in use. Above ground pools are always and eye sore. I've also heard above ground pools are harder to maintain but I am not sure the reason on that?

If you are thinking of staying in the house a while, do the in ground pool. If you aren't sure and might be selling, do an above ground pool.

Old 04-29-2015, 07:58 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,583,185 times
One thing to toss out there... Flood risk. If the pool has a catastrophic failure, that could turn into an ugly situation.
That being said, if you don't have the big bucks to get a below ground pool an above ground as absolutely worth it here in our heat.

Old 04-29-2015, 08:01 PM

12,973 posts, read 15,722,839 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post

I see a lot of pros and cons with both, based on my understanding of the two options.

In-Ground
  • It can be more easily integrated into your back yard
  • Landscaping and water features can be really nice
  • More difficult to cover properly and keep clean
  • Way way way way more expensive
Above-Ground
  • You can pull it out if you hate it
  • It can be an eyesore
  • Way way super inexpensive
  • Your drunken Uncle Larry could cannonball a tsunami that would wipe out your whole backyard
Both seem to cost about the same to maintain.

Any thoughts?
Rule number 1. If you want a pool buy a house that has one. Never put one in. 60% of the money down the drain. 200% on an above ground.

As a pool owner for the last 30 years the best thing on a pool is a spa. Get a small in ground with a spa unless you are a real swimmer. Than get a good sized in ground with a spa.

You can also get a semi-above ground...the spas where you can swim against the current. The big ones are pretty nice and can simply be used as a spa in the winter. Ideal for the SW. Some can be set low enough in the ground that entry is not a problem.

If you are getting old forget about above ground. Getting in and out of a normal pool can be a bear. An above ground is unlivable. You will swiftly learn ladders are bad news.

Old 04-29-2015, 09:05 PM

1,292 posts, read 3,454,984 times
The only advantage I can see to an above ground pool is that it could possibly reduce - not eliminate - the risk of a toddler falling in and drowning.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:29 PM

6,129 posts, read 7,940,360 times
Do the HOAs even allow above ground pools?

Old 04-29-2015, 11:39 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,159,863 times
In ground pools get warm, I would think an above ground would become unusable hot.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:40 PM

4,866 posts, read 11,159,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
Do the HOAs even allow above ground pools?
I don't know how they would know in a closed backyard. I didn't have to get HOA approval for my pool when I put it in.

Old 04-29-2015, 11:43 PM

4,248 posts, read 4,130,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WriterDude View Post
Having owned an above-ground pool, I can share a few observations and hints:

In-ground pools will almost certainly affect your property taxes and homeowner's insurance, but an AGP probably will not.
In-ground pools can crack (or separate from the coping), just like your house's foundation.

Leaks are MUCH easier to detect and fix with an AGP.

If water hardness is not maintained with an in-ground pool, calcium can leach from the walls into the water. Water hardness is much less of a concern with above-ground pools, as they have a vinyl liner.
When adding granular chemicals to an AGP, dissolve the granules in a bucket of water, then pour into the pool. This will prevent bleaching of the liner, which can occur if granular chemicals (especially chlorine) sit on the bottom.

If you get an AGP, do a VERY thorough job of preparing the site (several inches of level, compacted crusher-run makes a good base), and make sure you put a paver under each leg. Also, do not get an AGP with an inflatable top ring, such as the EasySet line from Intex. We had one last year, and birds would land on the top ring. Their talons put tiny little holes in the top ring, which caused the air to leak out and the pool to collapse.

Last edited by Slowpoke_TX; 04-29-2015 at 11:55 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area