Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-30-2015, 03:44 PM

415 posts, read 511,297 times

Advertisements

I've spent a lot of time in Phoenix but I'm going back 15 - 20 years ago when Fountain Hills was still just a twinkle in your daddy's eye.

It seems to have really...grown up. I love the desert scapes there but I'm guessing there's a reason I can I buy a furnished mansion there for 750k and I'm guessing that reason is that E Shea is probably a 24 hour parking lot.

Amirite?

I've lived in NYC my entire life and I've been to most places on the planet (60 something nations and 40+ states. Phoenix is the only place I've ever considered that I could live other than NYC. I also like southern Brasil but love America too much to ever leave. Unlike most NY'er's, I loathe Florida.

Nice place you have there, Phoenix, I mean.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2015, 04:20 PM

9,189 posts, read 16,571,454 times
Shea isn't a parking lot 24/7 by any means but getting from Fountain Hills to the 101 isn't a walk in the park either. It's a bit remote, which I think keeps prices a bit lower than adjacent Scottsdale. To some, the slight disconnect from the rest of the valley is a plus. Pick your poison.

Old 04-30-2015, 04:25 PM

2,150 posts, read 5,150,009 times
I love Fountain Hills for the beauty and small town feel.

Well I doubt you will get a mansion for $750K (of course beauty is in the eye of the beholder) but a very nice home for sure. Compared to home values in NYC it may seem like a mansion.

And yes traffic on Shea can be heavy at times, I guess it depends where you need to go and how often. There are stores, restaurants and recreation in FH. But compared to the NYC area it will be "hick town".

Old 04-30-2015, 04:58 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,925,189 times
$750K should net you a very nice home in Fountain Hills. Traffic on Shea is only really nasty between 64th St and Tatum, west bound during rush hour. The rest of Shea has decent enough traffic, but its never a parking lot. Once you get east of Frank Lloyd Wright, it moves along exceptionally well.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:28 PM

58 posts, read 68,956 times
Fountain hills traffic/proximity is misunderstood by large parts of phoenix. The traffic is pretty light for most of my commute and I frequently go to old-town Scottsdale, and I get there faster than many of my phx friends. I actually typed up a comparison for times traveled using Google maps on an earlier comment of mine if you search my comments.

If you are looking at price as an indication for desirability the most recent Orr report has Fountain hills at the 4th most expensive city in all of phoenix metro. See link The Cromford Report - Rankings
Paradise Valley - $341
Carefree - $243
Scottsdale - $225
Fountain hills - $196

if you consider a mansion to be around 4000 sq ft, that is very doable in FH at 750k. Although Views are probably the best indicator if you are going to need to bring some real money to the table (can be upwards of 400 a sq ft for really prime views).

Old 05-07-2015, 03:01 AM

415 posts, read 511,297 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by outsideliving View Post
Fountain hills traffic/proximity is misunderstood by large parts of phoenix. The traffic is pretty light for most of my commute and I frequently go to old-town Scottsdale, and I get there faster than many of my phx friends. I actually typed up a comparison for times traveled using Google maps on an earlier comment of mine if you search my comments.

If you are looking at price as an indication for desirability the most recent Orr report has Fountain hills at the 4th most expensive city in all of phoenix metro. See link The Cromford Report - Rankings
Paradise Valley - $341
Carefree - $243
Scottsdale - $225
Fountain hills - $196

if you consider a mansion to be around 4000 sq ft, that is very doable in FH at 750k. Although Views are probably the best indicator if you are going to need to bring some real money to the table (can be upwards of 400 a sq ft for really prime views).
This is great info, thank you.

When I wrote "mansion" I was exaggerating for effect but I'm not too far off. As you described, there are mansion like homes with perfect desert scape views for 750k up to and under a million bucks. And, I assume if someone is asking 1,000,000, you probably can hope for a 5% discount. I think 5000 sq. ft with 6 bedrooms and 6 baths qualifies as a mansion in just about anyplace outside of Newport, Rhode Island.

I've seen some fabulous homes in Fountain Hills for under $150 bucks a square foot which is pretty much "cost" for a home. You can then make an almost rational argument that your land is free. Almost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area