Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-04-2017, 12:45 PM

4,222 posts, read 3,689,253 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MN-Born-n-Raised View Post
When gas was $4 a gallon, dealers could not give away big SUV's that got 16-20 miles per gallon. In fact, consumers were paying more than sticker for hybrids like the Prius during the recent $4 a gallon era. But people have short memories; they no longer seem to care about gas mileage so they are buying gas guzzlers again (which will push up demand and cause the gas price to raise). If I was at the helm, I'd keep prices around $4 all the time via a gas tax and reduce other forms of taxation (property tax or income tax). Higher prices means lower consumption which helps in all categories including pollution, wasting precious natural resources and (if you have a scientific/working brain) higher gas prices reduce harmful greenhouse gasses.

But monthly costs could be fixed if gas doubled by buying a much more efficient car or by car pooling. But by far my preference is to reduce my commute time. I'll put it another way. If I could buy 2 more waking hours a day (40 hours a month), I'd pay $1000 or more. So to me at least, it seems illogical for someone to save $150-$200 a month on a house payment ($150K-$220K) when they spend more than that on car depreciation and gas. It deserves one of these. Disclaimer: Early on, I was not-so-smart for many years too. In my 20's and 30's, I drove to 50 minutes to work. I "saved" $50K on the price of a lot. Nevermind that outer burb move cost me about $250K in future possible home appreciation (inner burb homes skyrocketed while in comparison, my outer burb barely increased in value). But it seems everyone has to learn this lesson themselves. I'm finally a little smarter now. People, work the math!
I think a lot of us have experienced that, at one point I too drove to where I could afford thinking space was worth the extra commute time, that lasted under a year and I realized I'll take a much smaller space to have precious free time back. You couldn't pay me to do a 50 minute commute anymore, my #1 priority for housing now is proximity to work, hobbies and entertainment. I think many people are in the same boat as you see interest in condos and infill demand surging almost everywhere across the country.

Empty nesters, Millennials shelling out to live in new Phoenix-area condos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area