Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2015, 11:09 PM

148 posts, read 264,185 times

Advertisements

We are going to rocky point for a night or two next week and wondered if anyone could give me so e advice on where to stay, we will be going with our 2 kids. Also how far is it to the beach area when you cross the border into Mexico ? Do you think their will be long line up to cross into Mexico if we go on a Tuesday afternoon ?

Thanks in advance
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-01-2015, 09:38 AM

269 posts, read 531,237 times
Why?

Old 05-01-2015, 09:45 AM

38,959 posts, read 50,889,529 times
No long lines going in. Coming back can be a bear though if it's a weekend. We have stayed at Las Palmas a couple times and would recommend it, though there are many nice hotels there now. The beach at Las Palmas was/is really nice and it is family friendly.

Old 05-01-2015, 09:48 AM

148 posts, read 264,185 times
I have to exit the us and re enter to get my visa stamped, they told me the easiest way to exit would be at the Mexican border, so thought why not make a trip out of it and take the kids to rocky point, I have heard a lot about it.

Should I not be going their ??

Old 05-01-2015, 09:52 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,122,962 times
I think any of the large resorts/hotels right near the beach and touristy areas will be fine. Do not stay at any of the cheaper places in more of the locals part of town. I made that mistake a few years back and was mugged.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj-rk1 View Post
I have to exit the us and re enter to get my visa stamped, they told me the easiest way to exit would be at the Mexican border, so thought why not make a trip out of it and take the kids to rocky point, I have heard a lot about it.

Should I not be going their ??
It's a great place to visit. Thousands of Americans go there and enjoy the ambiance and the warm ocean (unlike SD where the water is cold and the people are colder ). I don't know what that comment above was but it sounds like someone who doesn't have a clue about Rocky Point or Mexico.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:24 AM

1,484 posts, read 3,122,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I don't know what that comment above was but it sounds like someone who doesn't have a clue about Rocky Point or Mexico.
Are you referring to my comment about being mugged? If so I'm not sure what you mean about me not having a clue. It's plain and simple...as I mentioned staying in the touristy area (closest to the beaches) should be perfectly fine. I went down with a group of friends and to save a few bucks we stayed at a much cheaper hotel further inland that required about a mile or two walk to the beach. Walking back to my hotel through local neighborhoods I was mugged and my friend was stopped by the Federales and they took all of his cash...essentially mugging him as well. I was naive about where to stay and what neighborhoods to stay out of and since this is OPs first trip down there they should be aware of it as well.

Old 05-01-2015, 10:34 AM

701 posts, read 1,421,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It's a great place to visit. Thousands of Americans go there and enjoy the ambiance and the warm ocean (unlike SD where the water is cold and the people are colder ). I don't know what that comment above was but it sounds like someone who doesn't have a clue about Rocky Point or Mexico.
I wouldn't call it a great place to visit -- it's simply the closest beach you can drive to from Phoenix. Rocky Point itself is barren, almost post-apocalyptic in appearance. Ambiance? It's an ugly town. If you must go, stay at Las Palomas, which is very nice, and spend most of your time there enjoying the property.

Old 05-01-2015, 11:30 AM

156 posts, read 417,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plainwhite View Post
i wouldn't call it a great place to visit -- it's simply the closest beach you can drive to from phoenix. Rocky point itself is barren, almost post-apocalyptic in appearance. Ambiance? It's an ugly town. If you must go, stay at las palomas, which is very nice, and spend most of your time there enjoying the property.
+1

Old 05-01-2015, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungle View Post
Are you referring to my comment about being mugged? If so I'm not sure what you mean about me not having a clue. It's plain and simple...as I mentioned staying in the touristy area (closest to the beaches) should be perfectly fine. I went down with a group of friends and to save a few bucks we stayed at a much cheaper hotel further inland that required about a mile or two walk to the beach. Walking back to my hotel through local neighborhoods I was mugged and my friend was stopped by the Federales and they took all of his cash...essentially mugging him as well. I was naive about where to stay and what neighborhoods to stay out of and since this is OPs first trip down there they should be aware of it as well.
No. I was referring to the one word comment, "Why?" some other poster put up. Your advice is sound, though I think the risk of your experience is pretty small. Young males can run into trouble in PP fairly easily, but families will like hang around the hotels and touristy spots. PP ain't what it used to be. We used to just camp on the beach and now it is a lot of hotels and nicer places. The real character is harder to find. Even so, the lack of NO this, NO that, NO you name it that you find on California beaches is worth the trip.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area