Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-05-2015, 10:10 AM

19,385 posts, read 27,654,653 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromEastCoast View Post
You should be scoping out the rental market as well. Have your real estate agent show you rentals in whatever portal you are using. That way if you don't find a house you can at least sign a lease.
They have THREE dogs. It's not likely they are going to find a rental that will be suitable for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-05-2015, 10:45 AM

30 posts, read 24,168 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
They have THREE dogs. It's not likely they are going to find a rental that will be suitable for them.
This is the problem we've been encountering, just on the minimal search we are doing. Our dogs are little and well behaved, but there are still three of them. It looks like we will need to pare down our list of "wants" for our next house.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:41 PM

6,343 posts, read 14,622,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarc23 View Post
This is the problem we've been encountering, just on the minimal search we are doing. Our dogs are little and well behaved, but there are still three of them. It looks like we will need to pare down our list of "wants" for our next house.
you just need to speak up for yourself when looking. Two pets is pretty standard boilerplate in mls listings, but just because it's in the listing doesn't make it a "law". A potential tenant with good income & credit can get lease terms adjusted without too much fuss. We had the same issue with a large dog when we were renting & most landlords were pretty willing to bend the rules to get a good tenant.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post
as a landlord, I'd be willing to bend that rule for a well-qualified tenant. I wouldn't bend that rule for someone who was on the edge of qualifying, nor would I bend it if I thought 3 dogs might become 5 or 6 dogs after the tenant moved in. Its not necessarily that big of a deal - when advertising a property you just don't want to attract a crazy cat-lady or someone who wanted to turn your rental into a homeless-dog shelter.

Old 05-05-2015, 03:52 PM

498 posts, read 541,139 times
I would never rent to anyone with three dogs. Matter of fact I wouldn't rent to anyone with a dog or a cat. If it lives outside an aquarium or birdcage it's a no go.

Plenty of tenants to chose from.

Old 05-05-2015, 04:17 PM

Definitely not a crazy cat lady here, and three dogs was never the plan and won't become more (sadly, more likely less as 2 of them are older dogs). Regardless, our priority is to buy a home next week. We've expanded our search and considered paring down on our must haves, so hopefully the right home will be waiting for us next week. I sure hope so....I'm eager to begin our lives in Arizona!

Old 05-05-2015, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wally Sconce View Post
I would never rent to anyone with three dogs. Matter of fact I wouldn't rent to anyone with a dog or a cat. If it lives outside an aquarium or birdcage it's a no go.

Plenty of tenants to chose from.
not really - especially in Phoenix, we may well have more dogs than people here, there's no reason to exclude such a huge pool of great tenants over something so minor. Much better imho to allow dogs but meet them first. Yippy/snarly/aggressive dogs aren't exactly hard to spot. An extra hour or two spent qualifying tenants & meeting pets means you're much less likely to attract the type of tenant who "sneaks in" a pet after the lease is signed (which only turns out bad for everyone involved).

Old 05-05-2015, 10:15 PM

140 posts, read 173,536 times
I rented pretty easily with 2 dogs. I just had to say they were small and crate trained. I can see three being a stretch though. Good luck on the house hunting. If you land in Anthem, let me know and we'll buy you and your husband a drink some time.

Old 05-06-2015, 07:12 AM

My husband has been monitoring rush hour traffic to/from office to Gilbert, Anthem, Glendale, etc. I think he's using the Google app. How accurate do you think that is? Last night, he found that most places ran 45 min. to an hour during rush hour.

Old 05-06-2015, 08:08 AM

19,385 posts, read 27,654,653 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jmarc23 View Post
My husband has been monitoring rush hour traffic to/from office to Gilbert, Anthem, Glendale, etc. I think he's using the Google app. How accurate do you think that is? Last night, he found that most places ran 45 min. to an hour during rush hour.
Depending on the area he's using in Gilbert 45-60 minutes sounds about right to me. Unless there's an accident, which will be problematic.

His job is at bell and the 101, right? No way I'd be looking at Gilbert! North abd far NE Mesa, maybe. (I like Gilbert and Chandler a lot, but that commute would be intolerable)

Can't help with Anthem or Glendale.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area