Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-04-2015, 10:54 AM

656 posts, read 808,651 times

Advertisements

I am dreading this, I was bit inside for six months last year, starting in June.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2015, 11:03 AM

2,769 posts, read 5,698,688 times
If you were bit inside for six months I would bet rain and mosquitos are not your biggest problem.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:13 AM

308 posts, read 364,698 times
Started last year with the monsoon season, and went on for months.

Old 05-04-2015, 11:26 AM

5,229 posts, read 4,584,499 times
Quote:
Rain means mosquitoes
Depends who you talk with. Rain usually means untold happiness for Arizonans.

However, standing water can certainly mean mosquitoes.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:06 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,928,076 times
Ive been seeing skeeters in the house since February already. This year is gonna SUCK if our monsoon storms are bad like they were last year. We didnt stop seeing mosquitos until almost December last year, after the last two monsoon storms. Ive been chewed up last week, sitting outside on our patio at night.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:23 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,435,326 times
Colt Cassidy's image is most likely the answer if you have mosquito's. We have seen zero mosquito's this year and rarely see them during monsoon season. The key is no standing water in our property and we must be lucky in that we have neighbors who do the same. I've read it doesn't take much standing water to hatch a bunch of them.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:36 PM

39,002 posts, read 51,001,044 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
Colt Cassidy's image is most likely the answer if you have mosquito's. We have seen zero mosquito's this year and rarely see them during monsoon season. The key is no standing water in our property and we must be lucky in that we have neighbors who do the same. I've read it doesn't take much standing water to hatch a bunch of them.
I read too that they don't travel far, so check the property. AZ mosquitoes are the ones that carry West Nile. Get those bites while you are young and can develop an immunity.

Old 05-04-2015, 12:58 PM

656 posts, read 808,651 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Ive been seeing skeeters in the house since February already. This year is gonna SUCK if our monsoon storms are bad like they were last year. We didnt stop seeing mosquitos until almost December last year, after the last two monsoon storms. Ive been chewed up last week, sitting outside on our patio at night.
I had exterminators out three times. They only ruled out bedbugs and guessed maybe it was mites or spider mites, but found no evidence of crawling bugs. I figured finally out it had to be mosquitoes. Bites on the ankles, legs, wrists and neck. This year I drop the A/C down, and wear bed clothing that covers arms and legs, plus use Cutter spray!

Old 05-04-2015, 01:54 PM

308 posts, read 364,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevek64 View Post
I'm guessing single-family homes have less of an issue because you can control things to a certain extent. However, the apartment I just spent several years in as well as this townhome have been horrific with regards to mosquitoes... not much time to enjoy time out on the patio. Even in a single-family home (where I lived my first 7 years here), there was a problem and the city of Mesa had to spray -- perhaps the washes were a source.

Last year (2014) was uncommonly bad in Maricopa County.

Old 05-04-2015, 05:02 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,435,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by go09 View Post
I'm guessing single-family homes have less of an issue because you can control things to a certain extent. However, the apartment I just spent several years in as well as this townhome have been horrific with regards to mosquitoes... not much time to enjoy time out on the patio. Even in a single-family home (where I lived my first 7 years here), there was a problem and the city of Mesa had to spray -- perhaps the washes were a source.

Last year (2014) was uncommonly bad in Maricopa County.
I'm guessing it's highly variable regardless if it's single family homes, apartments, etc. Makes sense the odds would increase the more people/dwellings there are given the math of it. Some people either leave their backyards with small areas that can catch/maintain water and probably don't know about it or just out and out junkyards in some people's back yards that catch all kinds of water. Certainly as you say washes that stay filled up near developments are big sources though I would hope if it's that close to a population center the city/county would be on that.

Here's a fairly recent article I just dug up on the issue. Mentions our warmer weather as perhaps a catalyst but it still requires water of which we haven't had much this year in natural rainfall so guessing the warmer temps with careless people(providing mini water sources) make it all happen for the most part:

Mosquito complaints rising around the Valley
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area