U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-18-2008, 11:51 PM

18 posts, read 30,056 times
Wink Can anybody list?...

five reasons to or not to move to Phoenix? Please be factual and don't bash & don't act like Phoenix is perfect.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-19-2008, 06:20 AM

15,951 posts, read 18,780,011 times
People can't be "factual" because all of it is simply personal opinion, perspective and preference. So why not read through the hundreds of threads and come to your own conclusion?

Old 01-19-2008, 08:31 AM

203 posts, read 551,932 times
don't move here!! there are to many things to do and see. i keep finding something new to do every weekend.
and the weather stinks, 60`s in January. just crazy

i use to live in Michigan.

there are going to be pros and cons from anywhere, do you home work make sure its right for you

Old 01-19-2008, 11:00 AM

7,755 posts, read 14,959,234 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
People can't be "factual" because all of it is simply personal opinion, perspective and preference. So why not read through the hundreds of threads and come to your own conclusion?
Good answer, Ponderosa

Kinda tough to be "factual" while stating a personal opinion. Although I do not live in Phoenix, I rejected the opportunity because I prefer the smaller town (read: cowtown) atmosphere and less severe weather of Tucson. Definitely not for everyone but, once again, personal opinion.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:17 PM

2,039 posts, read 4,219,226 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloWorld! View Post
five reasons to or not to move to Phoenix? Please be factual and don't bash & don't act like Phoenix is perfect.
Let me ask you this:

How old are you?

What are your favorite foods and activities?

What sort of cash are you talking about spending? For example, if you are a student, 23 years old and male, I'd say move to Tempe and explain why. If you are a well to do male or female, with a lot of disposable cash, I'd say go for it. If you do not have much cash AND you have no other family around here and you are close to your family, I'd say don't do it. It all depends. Please elaborate.

Old 01-19-2008, 12:48 PM

202 posts, read 438,209 times
Default I can help...somewhat.

for the OP, I'll give you reasons why I want to move to Phoenix, and maybe that will help you.

1. I live in Florida, and I wanted someplace sunny, but not as muggy has Florida.
2. I want to see mountains, and different terrain.
3. I work in IT, and when I look at jobs I see plenty of IT related jobs in Phoenix (also in Ca, but too expensive and earthquakes)
4. I like the West coast in general, and thats close enough without being in CA.
5. I should have some cash from the sale of my house, and savings (knock on wood)
6. Oh...the wife definitely won't hang out in the cold, so this number goes with number 1.
7. Something inside makes me want to go, I just started talking about AZ out of the blue one day (really).
8. Sometimes it's nice to step out and take a chance, I've never lived anywhere else, and I'm going to take that leap of faith.

Well, those were not in any particular order, but those are my reasons. Oh, one last thing. My wife and I are still fairly young (low 30's), but we don't really need much: Fast internet connection, book store, grocery store, book store, book store, gym, and a nice area to live.

Heck, just about any city has what we need, and Phoenix and the surrounding areas have that and more, so thats about it.

Good luck with your decision.

Old 01-19-2008, 04:42 PM

683 posts, read 1,713,161 times
Good Reasons:

Hot weather
Wide open spaces
Low unemployment
Beautiful scenery, mountains, unusual flora and fauna
All the major sports

Bad Reasons:

Hot weather
Crowded roads
Low wages
An unforgiving desert if you ever get lost, thorns and fangs
Arizona Cardinals

Old 01-19-2008, 05:02 PM

18 posts, read 30,056 times
Factuality can be used in a personal opinion- don't exadurate the truth.

Old 01-19-2008, 05:13 PM

1,486 posts, read 2,920,279 times
Reasons to Move to Phoenix:

1.) Winter weather - best time of the year there
2.) Relatively cheap housing and getting cheaper
3.) High amount of job growth although this may be changing (see below)
4.) Fairly convenient access to some of the best outdoor activities in the country (Grand Canyon, Sedona, California coast, etc)

Reasons Not to Move to Phoenix:

1.) Summer weather
2.) Most of the housing in the area is pretty bland; lack of architectural diversity
3.) Sprawl and lack of any sense of urbanity; no walkable neighborhoods; poor public transport
4.) Economy is heavily dependent on the real estate industry which is obviously in serious trouble
5.) Public education in the area is poor

Old 01-19-2008, 06:00 PM

42,851 posts, read 51,517,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ComputerGuy View Post
My wife and I are still fairly young (low 30's), but we don't really need much: Fast internet connection, book store, grocery store, book store, book store, gym, and a nice area to live.

Heck, just about any city has what we need, and Phoenix and the surrounding areas have that and more, so thats about it.
Man, I don't think I've ever seen anybody like you! You're lucky! Why aren't all of us as easy to please?!

If you can telecommute, you can live in some really cheap place. If you have the Internet connection, you can get all the books your little heart desires!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $79,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area