Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-21-2008, 01:18 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,774,779 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoSticks View Post
I've read that those are illegal, although I see them widely used. Something about reducing the legibility of or obscuring the plate.

I've seen the statute quoted here; maybe someone else will elaborate.
The post with the statute: http://www.city-data.com/forum/2223423-post47.html
Link to the other thread:http://www.city-data.com/forum/phoen...questions.html
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 12:31 AM

4 posts, read 33,944 times
Ok, I called channel 12 news and spoke to Dave Cherry.

He did a story on this topic and he said that the phot radar "tickets" you receive in the mail are not tickets at all. No matter how they look or read they are a document asking you to waive your rights to be served in person.

If you respond to the "ticket" by sending it in or even by going on line and looking up your photo on their website which 95% of people do, you have been served and have waived your right to be served in person.

Dave said since i live out of state chances of me being served out of state are extremely slim. If you are not served in person within 120 days from the incident(s) the "tickets" are dismissed as though they never have happened.

Now as for some of the people saying the photo radar is obvious. Maybe it is to residents, but I dont think it is to out of towners. I was issued 3 tickets for going 77 in a 65, two were 77mph an one was 79mph.

I don't argue that i was speeding but i do argue the fact that with 2 of the tickets only being 57 seconds apart thats not fair. Who would get a ticket and then speed off again right after then speed again on the way back?

I would have paid the first ticket but the court system says all 3 are valid so now I will ignore them and hopefully they will be dismissed after the 120 days.

If anyone does not believe this please call Dave Cherry at news channel 12 in Phoenix. He has done this story with police and Laywers.

Thank You.

Old 01-23-2008, 08:57 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,050,187 times
Well hard to doubt Dave Cherry but my husband got his license suspended here for a ticket he got in California he blew off. He had to fly to California to solve the problem then come back here and reapply for his license again. Lesson learned. Maybe you should just respect the law when you visit other states from now on and then you won't have to worry about it. I bet you speed all the way home too! I do feel sorry for a lot of cops trying to stop speeders with attitude. The cameras allow them to address real criminals and let technology give out the "stop speeding idiot, you might kill someone" warnings! You might want to be careful these days, someone might taze you for speeding, that is what you should be worrying about.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:08 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,336,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Maybe you should just respect the law when you visit other states from now on and then you won't have to worry about it. I bet you speed all the way home too! I do feel sorry for a lot of cops trying to stop speeders with attitude. The cameras allow them to address real criminals and let technology give out the "stop speeding idiot, you might kill someone" warnings! You might want to be careful these days, someone might taze you for speeding, that is what you should be worrying about.
Surely, you jest. I don't know about AZ, but around here those cameras are strictly for revenue and have nothing to do with safety whatsoever. I can ride my motorcycle past cops every morning on the way to work, doing 20-30 mph above the speed limit (with the flow of traffic, mind you) and the motorcycle cops actually wave hello to me! They are only looking for HOV cheaters because it's easy money. They ignore those texting while driving, missing brake lights, left lane squatters, lack of turn signals and the like. Besides, if they cared at all about safety or even slowing people down, they'd sit somewhere with their lights flashing for everyone to see because everyone slows down when they see a cop. But no, they hide and even use cameras, where you don't know you got a ticket until weeks later when you get it in the mail. I know, when I've been pulled over and ticketed, I tend to be a little more careful thereafter. Cameras don't tell you about it until weeks later. Luckily, because of the radar detector ban in VA, the cops rarely use instant-on or laser. So the few scofflaws like myself who still run a detector have no problem seeing the cops well in advance and can slow down and let someone else pay the fine.

Old 01-23-2008, 09:30 AM

42,831 posts, read 87,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
those cameras are strictly for revenue and have nothing to do with safety whatsoever
Of course they are! In case anybody has any doubts left:

Napolitano has optimistic budget for 2009

Several of the governor's ideas seem overly ambitious.

● Generating new revenue with enhanced photo radar enforcement on highways, with the money going to the Department of Public Safety. Lead-foot drivers are expected to generate about $90 million.

Napolitano has optimistic budget for 2009 | www.azstarnet.com ® (http://www.azstarnet.com/allheadlines/221151.php - broken link)

Old 01-23-2008, 09:44 AM

1,222 posts, read 5,006,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
I never leave home without my radar detector and the few tickets I've gotten, I've always fought in court and gotten them reduced or tossed.
Hey, aren't those illegal in VA?

Oops... just saw your last post.

Last edited by mdtoaz; 01-23-2008 at 09:48 AM.. Reason: jumped the gun

Old 01-23-2008, 12:49 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HX_Guy View Post
Yes, there are signs posted that warn you about the photo radar far in advance of the cameras themselves.
They should start putting a Smiley on the side of these vans with the quote:
"Say Cheese!!" next to it.

Even though speding is a problem and is illegal, I believe lack of using turn signals, illegal/incorrect lane changing or left turns and not obeying the stop signs or running red lights are much bigger and more important issues than speeding here in Phoenix.

Old 01-23-2008, 12:54 PM

6,606 posts, read 5,848,077 times
[mod] orphaned [mod]

Speaking of 101, there is a stretch of a few miles around the 51 that is posted 45 MPH because of construction. But everyone ignores it and goes 65. I go with the traffic; if I were to go 45 I'd get run off the road. There's three clear lanes in each direction; the shoulders are narrowed by jersey barriers. During morning rush hour it's more like 55 anyway. The question is, am I risking getting a photo radar ticket for 20mph over the speed limit? If the road conditions are normal, why do they even post such a low speed limit to begin with, that no one's going to respect anyway?

Last edited by sablebaby; 01-23-2008 at 01:06 PM..

Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,573,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
[mod] orphaned [mod]

Speaking of 101, there is a stretch of a few miles around the 51 that is posted 45 MPH because of construction. But everyone ignores it and goes 65. I go with the traffic; if I were to go 45 I'd get run off the road. There's three clear lanes in each direction; the shoulders are narrowed by jersey barriers. During morning rush hour it's more like 55 anyway. The question is, am I risking getting a photo radar ticket for 20mph over the speed limit? If the road conditions are normal, why do they even post such a low speed limit to begin with, that no one's going to respect anyway?
Be careful with that one, Blister

In many cases, if not all, the fines DOUBLE for violations in a Construction Zone! Definitely not worth the risk.

Old 01-23-2008, 01:54 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,573,259 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Well hard to doubt Dave Cherry but my husband got his license suspended here for a ticket he got in California he blew off. He had to fly to California to solve the problem then come back here and reapply for his license again. Lesson learned. Maybe you should just respect the law when you visit other states from now on and then you won't have to worry about it. I bet you speed all the way home too! I do feel sorry for a lot of cops trying to stop speeders with attitude. The cameras allow them to address real criminals and let technology give out the "stop speeding idiot, you might kill someone" warnings! You might want to be careful these days, someone might taze you for speeding, that is what you should be worrying about.
Excellent advice, Twiggy.

Sometimes it just isn't worth the risk!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area