Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-23-2008, 03:01 PM

1,775 posts, read 6,336,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
They should start putting a Smiley on the side of these vans with the quote:
"Say Cheese!!" next to it.

Even though speding is a problem and is illegal, I believe lack of using turn signals, illegal/incorrect lane changing or left turns and not obeying the stop signs or running red lights are much bigger and more important issues than speeding here in Phoenix.
So true.

Where my folks live in the fascist republic of NJ, there are actually signs that read "Smile. You're on radar camera." Or how about my favorite: "Want to meet our judge? Exceed 25 mph." Unreal.

Speed is not the problem. Speed DELTA is the problem. Riding a motorcycle, you see a lot of stuff that you don't see when driving. I actually saw a guy driving a truck and eating cereal from a bowl! But that's not illegal! I've pulled up beside a guy in his convertible who was weaving and saw him using the stick to type something into his PDA. I honked at him and he almost lost control of his car, he was so startled. Luckily, I can get away from most of the idiots pretty quickly on the bike. A girl who rear ended me in my car in May was a Germany nanny who was to return forever to Germany in four days. Cop came over and said he didn't know what he could charge her with. I said, "How about failure to maintain control of her vehicle?". Cop said it was pointless since she'd never show in court, never pay the fine and wouldn't need her US driver's license anymore once she left. Anyway, thank God she was on her host family's insurance they paid the $7k repair bill. Cops just don't care about enforcing things that make the roads safer. It's doubly frustrating because they could actually raise at least as much money as the cameras do, but they'd also be making the roads safer. Someone who gets three tickets in the mail weeks after the offense has already been driving for a few more weeks with no idea they got busted or had done anything wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-23-2008, 03:27 PM

9 posts, read 27,494 times
Default Not Radar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Ah, ok. I don't have much sympathy for people who can't see those signs. Still, radar detectors reinforce the point with their chirping and would pick out those mobile units too. Might need some Photoblocker on that license plate too.
I think the stationary photo units work using sensors under the pavement and not radar, but I could be wrong.

Old 01-23-2008, 03:39 PM

35 posts, read 184,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
[mod] orphaned [mod]

Speaking of 101, there is a stretch of a few miles around the 51 that is posted 45 MPH because of construction. But everyone ignores it and goes 65. I go with the traffic; if I were to go 45 I'd get run off the road. There's three clear lanes in each direction; the shoulders are narrowed by jersey barriers. During morning rush hour it's more like 55 anyway. The question is, am I risking getting a photo radar ticket for 20mph over the speed limit? If the road conditions are normal, why do they even post such a low speed limit to begin with, that no one's going to respect anyway?
I drive through there everyday. I get on the highway at Scottsdale Rd. and get off at 19th Ave. As far as I can tell, there aren't any photo radars stationed along any part of my route. (There IS a photo radar just east of Scottsdale Rd.) I've seen a few people pulled over for (I assume) speeding though.

I know going with the flow of traffic isn't a viable excuse in the eyes of the law. But I figure as long as I'm going with the flow, not setting it (ie I'm not the fastest on the road), I'm not likely to be singled out.

Old 01-23-2008, 05:14 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisa1120 View Post
But I figure as long as I'm going with the flow, not setting it (ie I'm not the fastest on the road), I'm not likely to be singled out.
I do the same after all by going slower you are creating problems just as much as going faster than the rest but I'd not bet on not getting singled out.

Remember the popular phrase 'police profiling'? That was used by Cali cops all the time. Many times, the cops, especially the motorcycle cops with their laser gun type radar, would almost always pick a single driver, preferably in a newer/luxury car and younger looking person. Not sure if gender was important. How I know it, cause I got picked out twice and there were cars on the next lane over that were going even a bit faster than I was, yet the motorcycle cop who happened to wait like a mile or so to pull me over. His laser gun was calibrated 2-3 weeks prior to the day he pulled me over and that was also credible enough for the court. Despite my comments about the flow of the traffic and even other drivers that were going slightly faster around me, I was the one that got pulled over and that is what the court cared about.
Again, since you are a single driver, it is your word against the cop, guess he gets spanked at the end? There really was no point in going to the court to fight the ticket, the only reason that I know people ask to appear in the court was that 50% chance the cop didn't show up so the cite would get dismissed automatically. To increase the chances of the officers absence, some would ask to have the originally court date postponed to a later date.

If you have a radar detector, it might be useful on open roads where the officer (car) is using a radar which gives an approximate reading of your speed, not quite as accurate as the laser gun but if you get tagged by a laser gun which most city motorcycle cops use, chances are, you are S.O.L. especially since by the time your radar/laser detector picks up the signal, you are way too close and laser gun had already locked on you, at that point all you can do is smile and get a pen ready.

But instead of going through all this, it makes more sense to obey the law (at least the traffic laws)! Nothing baffles me more than the crackheads who think they can outrun cops at this day and age! Every week there is a new crash test dummy who refuses to pull over and thinks he can get away and avoid a traffic ticket. I mean, unless, you were already wanted for some crime, what is the point?

Old 01-24-2008, 08:35 AM

6,618 posts, read 5,848,077 times
Quote:
Even though speding is a problem and is illegal, I believe lack of using turn signals, illegal/incorrect lane changing or left turns and not obeying the stop signs or running red lights are much bigger and more important issues than speeding here in Phoenix.
Aggressive driving (including the problems you cite) is a huge problem in Phoenix. Probably it can be alleviated by (1) traffic calming and (2) education.

Traffic calming is a euphemism for altering the flow of traffic to make it easier for people to get where they're going without getting frustrated. The problem in Phoenix is, too many people, too few roads. This can be addressed by widening the major routes (17, 51, 10, 101, 202) where they are currently bottlenecked, and by adding more buses to the Valley Metro system so that it becomes an easy and practical alternative for thousands of commuters.

The motorist population can be educated by providing clear signage regarding right of way, speed zones, and real-time electronic signs warning of congestion spots.

As for the photo radar devices, they should be used to educate the drivers, not trip them up. They should first get a warning by mail. Those who persist in speeding past these devices should be fined.

I also believe there should be more "troops on the ground", i.e. traffic cops out there enforcing the law and watching for aggressive drivers. There should be a specific campaign against aggressive driving such as the "3 strikes" rule that exists in some other states--if someone is witnessed by a police doing 3 aggressive acts (tailgating, threatening or harassing other drivers, excessive cutting in and out of lanes) they would be fined and after repeated offenses get their licenses suspended and have to pay their way through a driver's ed class.

Just a few ideas I've been kicking around on how to solve these irritating problems.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
Aggressive driving (including the problems you cite) is a huge problem in Phoenix. Probably it can be alleviated by (1) traffic calming and (2) education.
Aggressive driving, imho, could be caused by various things but if the person is always an aggressive drive then it might be a psychological issue, lack of education or driving experience would not help. As the saying goes: "You Can't Fix Stupid!"

Quote:
Traffic calming is a euphemism for altering the flow of traffic to make it easier for people to get where they're going without getting frustrated.
I do not like those 'calm' drivers who drives way too slow to a point that they actually impede the flow of the traffic. Almost every part of this town I see slower/slowest drivers riding on the far left lane and people zooming around them and getting in front of them doesn't even seem to clue them in on anything either! This might be due to lack of education or age or even cultural (this goes for foreigners and I dare not mention any race).

Quote:
The problem in Phoenix is, too many people, too few roads. This can be addressed by widening the major routes...
This may help but I relocated from Orange County where it is hella crowded so the number of roads are far from adequate yet people still drive in harmony. There were a few that suck out, if they were not people who recently relocated from some other part of the country/world, then they were usually bunch of idiots who would drive like that no matter where they lived.

Phoenix population is not that bad, at least for the most of the area, so I think the number of roads is really not the main issue but perhaps bulding more freeways at strategic location could help (a new freeway in between 101 and I-10 going parallel to those two could easily take the load of both).

Quote:
The motorist population can be educated by providing clear signage regarding right of way, speed zones, and real-time electronic signs warning of congestion spots.
Again, I agree, a certain level/type of traffic education is definitely needed.

Quote:
As for the photo radar devices, they should be used to educate the drivers, not trip them up. They should first get a warning by mail. Those who persist in speeding past these devices should be fined.

I also believe there should be more "troops on the ground", i.e. traffic cops out there enforcing the law and watching for aggressive drivers. There should be a specific campaign against aggressive driving such as the "3 strikes" rule that exists in some other states--if someone is witnessed by a police doing 3 aggressive acts (tailgating, threatening or harassing other drivers, excessive cutting in and out of lanes) they would be fined and after repeated offenses get their licenses suspended and have to pay their way through a driver's ed class.
I agree with the 3-strike rule type setup where when a speeder is captured by the van, he/she should receive a warning in the mail but 3 warnings is a bit too much imo, 1 should be good enough. Also the moment they pic is captured, an alarm/siren could go off with lights flashing and further down the road, on a big billboard type screen the drivers previously taken picture could be displayed with the words "Warning: Speed Offender!" type somewhat emberrassing display could also be effective.

As mentioned on another thread, there are too many people from others parts of the country who still drive in a way that might be custom to where they used to live but out here this variation between all the transplants and the natives creates a rather ugly, chaotic traffic conditions which could be causing people to get frustrated/annoyed and drive in a aggressive way.
Again, quite possibly a social-psychologial issue that could be resolved by either education or really good spanking.

Old 01-24-2008, 12:27 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,965,605 times
Quote:
Also the moment they pic is captured, an alarm/siren could go off with lights flashing and further down the road, on a big billboard type screen the drivers previously taken picture could be displayed with the words "Warning: Speed Offender!" type somewhat emberrassing display could also be effective.
I think you should move to England! They're way ahead in this department. That's why apparently there's exodus of people from there... Not that you can escape anywhere, but at least the "enjoyment" may still be somewhat delayed in most other countries. Then again, it may not be worth the trip. We're following closely enough.

Old 01-24-2008, 10:25 PM

4,472 posts, read 17,641,240 times
I got picked up on that photo radar a few months ago, got a ticket in the mail, and I've ignored it sucessfully for this long and after so many weeks the ticket becomes invalid (which I believe it currently is). So yes, you CAN ignore them (I'm not endorsing breaking the law just offering an alternative option).

Old 01-24-2008, 10:47 PM

44,556 posts, read 61,289,505 times
What ya gonna do when you stopped by a cop and you have a warrant waiting for you?

Old 01-25-2008, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
What ya gonna do when you stopped by a cop and you have a warrant waiting for you?
If they needed your signature to validate and complete the serving then without completing this process, I don't believe the court could legally issue a warrant either. I just can't believe there would be such a gap/loop in this process and personally not take the chance to begin with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area