Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 12:02 PM

9,593 posts, read 31,573,259 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by blisterpeanuts View Post
As for the photo radar devices, they should be used to educate the drivers, not trip them up. They should first get a warning by mail. Those who persist in speeding past these devices should be fined.

Just a few ideas I've been kicking around on how to solve these irritating problems.
Very valid points, Blister . . . except for this one!

If anyone is driving more than ten miles per hour over the limit . . . their intelligence, their "adult" common sense and their overall respect and concern for the safety of others are all in question and a simple warning or a slap on the wrist is a waste of time.

Going one step further . . . anyone driving more than twenty, thirty or more miles per hour over the limit should be subject to mandatory vehicle seizure for a minimum of one month, possibly longer.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 12:15 PM

44,556 posts, read 61,289,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
Very valid points, Blister . . . except for this one!

If anyone is driving more than ten miles per hour over the limit . . . their intelligence, their "adult" common sense and their overall respect and concern for the safety of others are all in question and a simple warning or a slap on the wrist is a waste of time.

Going one step further . . . anyone driving more than twenty, thirty or more miles per hour over the limit should be subject to mandatory vehicle seizure for a minimum of one month, possibly longer.

MY TWO CENTS WORTH
Excellent suggestions bummer, here's another 2 cents for the cause.

Old 01-25-2008, 01:51 PM

443 posts, read 2,128,870 times
This may be a dumb question, but do the cameras take a front and back picture of your license plate? Just wondering since you don't need a front plate in AZ?

Old 01-25-2008, 06:57 PM

7,284 posts, read 16,610,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sfw1979 View Post
This may be a dumb question, but do the cameras take a front and back picture of your license plate? Just wondering since you don't need a front plate in AZ?
They sure do, take a look at the camera arrays. They're pointed in both directions. They get you in the front for the face shot, and the back for the license plate.

Old 01-25-2008, 07:29 PM

42,831 posts, read 87,965,605 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
They get you in the front for the face shot
Good luck to them with that! I don't have my car washed often enough for this to work.

Old 01-26-2008, 04:30 PM

44,556 posts, read 61,289,505 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661;
I have no idea what the policy is regarding photo radar maintenance. My former department's policy was that radar unit calibration would be checked internally and externally twice daily-at the beginning and end of the shift by the operator. Personally I always did it more often, especially after writing someone who flew into a rage claiming there was no way they were speeding and I was a (pick your favorite expletive deleted) or I only stopped them because they were driving a (red car, yellow car, Corvette, Porsche, BMW, etc.) or because they (were black, mexican, female, had long hair, had tattoos, were lesbian, their mother was in prison, I didn't 'get any' last night, etc.) or because they had out of state plates or because they had a "Bad Cop, No Donut" or a "Question Authority" bumper sticker. Under those circumstances, I checked the radar immediately after the stop so I could testify to the fact later in court.

I know this is getting off topic, but there's one other thing: For those that asked me or some other officer "[U
THE[/u]" question, the answer is, "I was on my way to arrest a REAL criminal, but I had to let him go because your unsafe driving was endangering the lives of everyone on the road around you. Press hard, five copies. Have a nice day and drive safely."
I shouldn't have retired.

This made my day, loved it,...

Old 01-26-2008, 06:54 PM

8,239 posts, read 13,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 43north87west View Post
They sure do, take a look at the camera arrays. They're pointed in both directions. They get you in the front for the face shot, and the back for the license plate.
There is a good reason to drive in reverse, they'd still get the info but the order of the pics would make them go bananas!!

Old 01-26-2008, 09:32 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,774,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
There is a good reason to drive in reverse, they'd still get the info but the order of the pics would make them go bananas!!
Yo, Crazy Turkish Guy!

If you can drive 76+ mph in reverse on the 101, I'll buy you dinner at Don and Charlie's-or pay the speeding charge of the tickets you get. Just give me the envelope when it comes to prove you did it!
(After you get out of jail on the Reckless Driving charge, of course!!!)

Old 01-27-2008, 01:33 AM

8,239 posts, read 13,330,347 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aj661 View Post
Yo, Crazy Turkish Guy!

If you can drive 76+ mph in reverse on the 101, I'll buy you dinner at Don and Charlie's-or pay the speeding charge of the tickets you get. Just give me the envelope when it comes to prove you did it!
(After you get out of jail on the Reckless Driving charge, of course!!!)
Don't tempt me you mischievous ex-highway patrolman, u know I might do it!

Better yet, get ready to bail me out!!

Old 01-27-2008, 01:47 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,183,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bummer View Post
I completely agree, Bummer. However, one of my complaints about photo radar is it WILL NOT pull over these excessive speed demons, detain them, nor seize their vehicles. This is why more HUMAN officers are needed ... not robotized revenue generators for the government!

Our "wonderful" Governor even let the cat out of the bag in a recent speech that the state is short on funds, and she's in favor of moving forward with more radar cameras to help generate revenue. Nobody can argue that this is about safety, because it ISN'T! Radar cameras don't have the human capability to nab the real menaces on the roads: the intoxicated, the inattentive, the tailgaters, and the slowpokes who won't move over.

BTW, in case anybody missed it, here's what Napolitano said about photo radar:
Arizona budget banking on speeders - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area