Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-12-2012, 07:16 PM

196 posts, read 262,224 times

Advertisements

here in KY I spent 2 yrs applying to jobs and I got not one call for an interview and they had the same opening for like months upon months. does it even work or is it just out there???
i seen a few jobs that look pretty good. am I wasting my time??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-12-2012, 07:26 PM

1,112 posts, read 3,986,890 times
You can filter by date posted. Probably a good idea to only apply to the most recent. A lot of job ads on there are sponsored, and ALWAYS posted, so you have to pay attention.

I've gotten a couple job interviews through indeed, though. I wouldn't rely on it alone any more than I would careerbuilder or monster. Best to check all of them.

Believe it or not, I've had the MOST luck with the craigslist job section.

Old 11-12-2012, 07:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CodyW View Post
You can filter by date posted. Probably a good idea to only apply to the most recent. A lot of job ads on there are sponsored, and ALWAYS posted, so you have to pay attention.

I've gotten a couple job interviews through indeed, though. I wouldn't rely on it alone any more than I would careerbuilder or monster. Best to check all of them.

Believe it or not, I've had the MOST luck with the craigslist job section.
yeah, thats what i thought. craigslist would be better. but be careful of scams. indeed seems to look too good if u know what i mean. and monster or careerbuilder - not feeling them. but yeah i will apply to a few. i really do not plan on moving at the moment but CAN - i'm just burning money here since i know there are no jobs here. better to get the applications in. watch i get a job since I'm not really ready to move 100% LOL. thats how it happens most time. when u least expect it! thanks for helping.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:32 PM

19,385 posts, read 27,660,580 times
Best online resource for jobs = Linked In.

You CANNOT find a job from out of state. All you can do from out of state is network - for connections, contacts, possible opportunities. Which is exactly what Linked In is set up to do.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

You CANNOT find a job from out of state. All you can do from out of state is network - for connections, contacts, possible opportunities. Which is exactly what Linked In is set up to do.
then how does LinkedIn work. i have a page but no idea how it all works. can u tell me or refer me to a link. so best optioin is to move and then look for a job??

Old 11-12-2012, 08:43 PM

453 posts, read 1,624,128 times
I got a job interview at a great hospital in California, drove there interviewed, came home was offered the job, packed up, moved there, loved my job but it was not the right time for such a major move in my life, stayed a year and came back to AZ. But you really can get interviews from this site, I am living proof.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:46 PM

ah ha. so there is hope. not much but a little bit. then again you could drive there- i have to fly since I'm in KY. guess my best bet is to just move and then hardcore look around for a job.
sorry it didnt work out. i love AZ atmosphere and weather compared to here in KY. i must move. been waiting to move for almost 5 years. now i have the opportunity.
thanks for the words of encouragement. i will apply and c if i get anywhere. maybe there is hope for me too!

Old 11-13-2012, 03:00 AM

19,385 posts, read 27,660,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by adele b View Post
then how does LinkedIn work. i have a page but no idea how it all works. can u tell me or refer me to a link. so best optioin is to move and then look for a job??
First, go to Google and type in How to use LinkedIn to find a job. Then read several of the articles that come up on that search, especially the information on the Linked In site.

Second, stop using the Text Speak when you are writing on forums, using email, etc. - use it for texting only, if you must.

hird, don't move anywhere unless you have available CASH savings that will cover all your expenses for 6-12 monts. "Available " means not borrowed on credit cards or taken from retirement funds like IRA's or 401k's. "Expenses" includes car insurance, maintenance and registration (not cheap in AZ), food, shelter, utilities, cell phone, internet, gas for your car, pet care, and health insurance (which you should be sure you can get approved for from an AZ health insurance carrier PRIOR to miving. It isn't cheap, either.)

Old 11-13-2012, 03:43 PM

I looked up how to use a Linkedin page. Thanks for the third idea I have to take that into consideration. I know it will be expensive but if I get a job out of it all - it is all worth it.

Old 11-13-2012, 09:37 PM

3,187 posts, read 5,720,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jkgourmet View Post

That opinion is expressed here a lot, and it is not universally true. As an IT manager who needed people with particularly unique skills, I have done phone interviews with many people who are out of state for contract positions and hired out of state people on more than one occasion. Whether or not you can obtain a job from out of state will vary with the type of job and your qualifications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area