Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 03:08 PM

203 posts, read 808,430 times

Advertisements

there was a woman from Scottsdale who ignored the tickets.

she was served then arrested
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-20-2008, 05:02 PM

25 posts, read 99,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
osat, it's admirable that you went and paid the ticket. However, you can always argue your case in court. That's not the same as fighting law enforcement. It is having the opportunity to prove that your speedometer was correct and there was an error in the camera system.

These tickets will add points to your record and cause an increase in your insurance rates. So it is always a good idea to have your day in court when the system isn't working right.
I could but I didn't. With no proof in my hand it's so hard to argue.
Have a nice and ... the best evening.

Old 01-20-2008, 06:52 PM

4 posts, read 33,944 times
I did not give a name when i called so they have no idea who called.

The only thing that bothers me is getting 3 tickets in one day. I would pay 3 if i was pulled over all 3 times but getting one on 101 and Shea then another 57 seconds later at 101 and scottsdale road is not fair in my opinion. The third was at 101 and Shea again on the way back.

If I or anyone else was pulled over the first time chances you would be speeding again that day or in that area would be pretty darn slim.

Old 01-20-2008, 07:21 PM

937 posts, read 2,827,067 times
Should have slowed down?

Old 01-20-2008, 09:58 PM

Location: 5 miles from the center of the universe-The Superstition Mountains
1,084 posts, read 5,774,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 101trap View Post
I did not give a name when i called so they have no idea who called.

The only thing that bothers me is getting 3 tickets in one day. I would pay 3 if i was pulled over all 3 times but getting one on 101 and Shea then another 57 seconds later at 101 and scottsdale road is not fair in my opinion. The third was at 101 and Shea again on the way back.

If I or anyone else was pulled over the first time chances you would be speeding again that day or in that area would be pretty darn slim.
Something is not right about your time/distance; I didn't go drive it and clock the distance between cameras, but the 101/Shea is about 6 or 6.5 miles from 101/Scottsdale Rd. You couldn't have been going that fast! The only other thing I'll comment on about photo radar is the people telling you that photo radar is illegal. Uh, no, it's not. When it comes to what you find on the internet about beating tickets or the fallibility of radar, it used to be good for a laugh. Now it's just boring. I've been a certified doppler radar operator, moving and stationary, since 1977. They've come a long way since the old "Speed Gun One", yet most of the "facts" about radar found there or in books is the same as it was 30 years ago. Whatever you decide, do not-DO NOT take legal advice from someone on the internet.

I have no idea what the policy is regarding photo radar maintenance. My former department's policy was that radar unit calibration would be checked internally and externally twice daily-at the beginning and end of the shift by the operator. Personally I always did it more often, especially after writing someone who flew into a rage claiming there was no way they were speeding and I was a (pick your favorite expletive deleted) or I only stopped them because they were driving a (red car, yellow car, Corvette, Porsche, BMW, etc.) or because they (were black, mexican, female, had long hair, had tattoos, were lesbian, their mother was in prison, I didn't 'get any' last night, etc.) or because they had out of state plates or because they had a "Bad Cop, No Donut" or a "Question Authority" bumper sticker. Under those circumstances, I checked the radar immediately after the stop so I could testify to the fact later in court.

I know this is getting off topic, but there's one other thing: For those that asked me or some other officer "THE" question, the answer is, "I was on my way to arrest a REAL criminal, but I had to let him go because your unsafe driving was endangering the lives of everyone on the road around you. Press hard, five copies. Have a nice day and drive safely."
I shouldn't have retired.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:07 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,336,428 times
Don't you guys use radar detectors in AZ to tell you where there is radar? Seems to me, if the cameras were about making people slow down, they'd not be hidden and there'd be huge signs advertising their presence. Is that the case? I'm moving to Phoenix soon, so I'm kind of curious. We have photo radar in some parts of DC, but they are so easily spotted. It's just cops sitting in Crown Vics on the shoulder. They're always in the same place, so people just slow down and then speed up once they're out of sight. It does nothing at all for safety, but raises plenty of money for the city, which is all it's about. VA recently did away with cameras at intersections, because it had been proven that in those intersections, the cities had shortened the yellow light times to catch more people (aka raise more money) and there were actually more read end hits by people doing panic stops. I never leave home without my radar detector and the few tickets I've gotten, I've always fought in court and gotten them reduced or tossed.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:13 AM

268 posts, read 1,156,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
Don't you guys use radar detectors in AZ to tell you where there is radar? Seems to me, if the cameras were about making people slow down, they'd not be hidden and there'd be huge signs advertising their presence. Is that the case?
Yes, there are huge warning signs advertising their presence. Also the cameras are pretty easy to spot and see as they are not hidden behind anything.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:24 AM

3,819 posts, read 11,897,780 times
Yes, there are signs posted that warn you about the photo radar far in advance of the cameras themselves.

The newest threat though are the photo radar SUVs they have been putting out on the freeways, those have no warning signs. The best way is to keep your eye on the median for a while Chevy SUV and watch for flashing lights as other people ahead of you are usually getting tagged.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:27 AM

1,775 posts, read 6,336,428 times
Ah, ok. I don't have much sympathy for people who can't see those signs. Still, radar detectors reinforce the point with their chirping and would pick out those mobile units too. Might need some Photoblocker on that license plate too.

Old 01-21-2008, 09:47 AM

84 posts, read 362,737 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick Lee View Post
...Might need some Photoblocker on that license plate too.
I've read that those are illegal, although I see them widely used. Something about reducing the legibility of or obscuring the plate.

I've seen the statute quoted here; maybe someone else will elaborate.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area