Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2015, 01:49 PM

1,707 posts, read 4,339,243 times

Advertisements

SO, biased as I am - and I almost moved to Merrill instead of choosing CG in the end. (Difference for me though is I work from home so commute wasn't an issue). It really all depends on how many "close" amenities the OP needs. Yes, Merrill has the one shopping center, with a little restaurant, and the golf course just opened a nice place to eat also. But beyond that it could be a 15-30 min drive to much more than that.

Whereas CG has a full service mall with movie theatre (and a Buffalo Wild Wings being built as we speak!), Lowes, HD, Big Walmart, Target, a "Boston's Sports Bar" (think large Chilis) about to start construction, and many more all close.

CG has a full service hospital (recently converted to Banner), lots of other healthcare, FREEWAY access to both Phoenix and Tucson in under an hour etc.

SO, it comes down to whether the OP wants to live really close to work and occasionally leave for other things, or would like to be closer to other things during off work hours, but then drive 30-40 mins each way to work.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2015, 05:38 PM

6,957 posts, read 12,052,256 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
There's a hiring freeze on right now.. agencies can get exceptions, but it's not easy. She might end up working in the east Valley, assuming she can find a job with the state or anyone else.
So, if there is a hiring freeze, why are so many jobs listed, especially child protective services, which, everyone knows, is still failing miserably? Ducey will not be able to maintain a freeze with these child abuse statistics rising every day. If the OP's wife is qualified and can work in Casa Grande, she will get a job. I was hired and worked there myself, and I know a "so called" hiring freeze means nothing. Put in your resume and you will get called.

Old 05-31-2015, 09:36 PM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
So, if there is a hiring freeze, why are so many jobs listed, especially child protective services, which, everyone knows, is still failing miserably? Ducey will not be able to maintain a freeze with these child abuse statistics rising every day. If the OP's wife is qualified and can work in Casa Grande, she will get a job. I was hired and worked there myself, and I know a "so called" hiring freeze means nothing. Put in your resume and you will get called.

There are exceptions to the hiring freeze. I'm fully aware of that. But, if I am in "social work" that doesn't necessarily mean I want to work for CPS. There are people in that general field who would not touch those jobs. She could very probably be hired in CPS, but other jobs in her field might not be available with the state. CG is not exactly brimming with social work jobs generally. And, let's not hijack this thread with politics.

Old 05-31-2015, 10:00 PM

1,220 posts, read 1,594,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by observer53 View Post
It will only be bad if the wife ends up having to commute the other way, into the Valley. From what I've heard, that is not fun.
Ah true, in that case San Tan Valley and Queen Creek areas may be the best bet. Just 15 min or so further from Florence but, Mesa, Gilbert and Chandler jobs will all be in 30-40 min commute range.

Old 06-01-2015, 09:01 AM

483 posts, read 665,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sh9730 View Post
SO, biased as I am - and I almost moved to Merrill instead of choosing CG in the end. (Difference for me though is I work from home so commute wasn't an issue). It really all depends on how many "close" amenities the OP needs. Yes, Merrill has the one shopping center, with a little restaurant, and the golf course just opened a nice place to eat also. But beyond that it could be a 15-30 min drive to much more than that.

Whereas CG has a full service mall with movie theatre (and a Buffalo Wild Wings being built as we speak!), Lowes, HD, Big Walmart, Target, a "Boston's Sports Bar" (think large Chilis) about to start construction, and many more all close.

CG has a full service hospital (recently converted to Banner), lots of other healthcare, FREEWAY access to both Phoenix and Tucson in under an hour etc.

SO, it comes down to whether the OP wants to live really close to work and occasionally leave for other things, or would like to be closer to other things during off work hours, but then drive 30-40 mins each way to work.
Yeah, we had looked at Mission Royale, another 55+ development right by all of the shopping, restaurants, etc., right off the freeway in CG. Seems like they have a ton of stuff in that area. But we just liked the "feel" of Merrill Ranch a bit better, so opted for there. San Tan and Queen Creek aren't really that far from Merrill Ranch...and again they have everything (even more choices than CG).

Old 06-02-2015, 04:41 PM

37 posts, read 67,176 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbpakrfan View Post
If you ask me...and the OP kinda did...there really is no other choice than Anthem. We just bought a place there in the Sun City part of the community two weeks ago, but the "other" section would probably work for him.

Plus, the OP's name is Moving Badger. My wife and I are also moving Badgers (or Cheeseheads) as we will be moving down there from Wisconsin in a couple of months.

That's great. So what part of the Badger State are you moving from? We're making the move from Chippewa Falls ourselves - we are about ten years to young for that Sun City part of the community - and I suspect in 20 years my wife will still claim to be too young for the Sun City part of the community

Anthem is on our short list though - can't wait to check it out further.

Old 06-02-2015, 07:30 PM

23 posts, read 46,328 times
If you're considering Merrill Ranch, make sure you research the HOA fees and property taxes. I may be wrong, but that area pays for the flood control dikes along Arizona Farms road by property tax. I think it adds around $250 - $400 a year, depending on your value assessment. If you go to the Pinal County Assessor website and do a property search by address, all the information is there. When we looked at Anthem in '09, the HOA fees were also up there compared to Johnson Ranch which has multiple community pools, but Anthem's amenities were far superior, so it may be worth it to you.

Old 06-03-2015, 10:01 AM

63 posts, read 141,410 times
Go to the Magma Flood Control web site and they have an overlay map that show affected areas, it covers a large area up hunt highway and east, We have a home in Parkside up from the models and we arent in the flood zone, but the model homes are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area