U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Easter!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:39 PM

61 posts, read 215,411 times
Default Everyones opinion on avondale

Hello,
Once again my wife and I are considering a move to arizona. we are curious about Avondale. What are your opinions of this city? Are there good jobs there? how is the commute to phoenix? Is the housing market good there?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:49 PM

9,541 posts, read 11,574,250 times
I know one of the Police officers from Avondale. He lives in Surprise. He doesn't think that the situation in Avondale is that great. Too close to the I10 and major crime in the way of gangs coming from other areas. That is his opinion though, but I think it is a good one being is how he works there trying to help with the situation. Maybe others can elaborate more or those that live there can chime in.

Unread 01-20-2008, 06:57 PM

Well that is agood opinion what about surprise? or goodyear and glendale?

Unread 01-20-2008, 07:48 PM

29 posts, read 93,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SOON2BNSURPRISE View Post
I know one of the Police officers from Avondale. He lives in Surprise.
How funny. I know a Phoenix police officer who lives in Avondale and loves it. And also a Scottsdale police officer who lives in Goodyear!

Unread 01-20-2008, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mawilson View Post
Well that is agood opinion what about surprise? or goodyear and glendale?
Surprise is one of the safest places in the state. Housing is affordable. I like it but to each his own I guess.

Unread 01-20-2008, 08:45 PM

625 posts, read 1,208,956 times
Hi,
We moved here a few months ago and were warned to "stay away from Avondale." I would say there is some truth to that, but there are some nice areas in Avondale, particularly north of I-10. I would look to Goodyear (our choice), Litchfield Park, or numerous other cities in the valley.

Unread 01-20-2008, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForgetMeNot View Post
How funny. I know a Phoenix police officer who lives in Avondale and loves it. And also a Scottsdale police officer who lives in Goodyear!
Maybe he lives there because he likes crime. He is a police officer right? As far as the Scottsdale Police officer that lives in Goodyear, that sounds like more of a cost of living issue. Does the city of Scottsdale pay there public servants enouph to live in the city? Can they afford to buy a home in Scottsdale?

To tell you the truth though I am no expert on Avondale or any of the other areas away from Surprise. I can give an honest evaluation of Surprise, Peoria, the north side of Glendale, and Scottsdale. I have been there and visited those areas only. I like what I see in those areas. For me they are safe communities that are family friendly and have lots of things going for them or will in the near future. As far as Avondale, I only state what I have heard and read about on this site and within the crime statistics site for the Phoenix area.

Unread 01-20-2008, 09:56 PM

29 posts, read 93,620 times
Every town has its not so good areas. I'm sure the officer in Avondale could afford to live in another area, especially with the way the housing market is now. But the fact remains that he's been in Avondale for close to 10 years and will probably be there another 10. His neighborhood is well established and that might be part of it. How many drop houses have been busted in Avondale (and Tolleson and Buckeye!), in the new developments that exploded the last few years?

Unread 01-21-2008, 07:11 AM

15,237 posts, read 17,425,797 times
Avondale suffers from geography and history. It was a migrant farm laborer town like all the west side cities except Litchfield Park once were. The roots are still quite visible. Avondale borders on west Phoenix areas which are among the roughest in the metro area. So it is kind of a transition city between the wealthier areas to the west and north and the poorer areas to the east. Avondale was among the cities that boomed the most during the recent housing boom. It is now seeing the consequences with many vacant and rental properties.

There are big plans for Avondale and the city has a lot of tax income due to major retail in the area. They are building a very fancy city center and parks, and pools and are aggressive in pursuing quality development. All of the major builders and recognized chain retailers and restaurants are there or are building there. So the jury is still out. Avondale could go the way of west Phoenix or could be more like Goodyear, Litchfield Park, Surprise, or even Buckeye are likely to turn out.

Anyway, what I don't like about Avondale is the shopping experience there. As I said, it has loads of retail. Retailers have fled west Phoenix and been replaced with check cashing services and hispanic themed shopping that caters to the many illegals who live in that part of Phoenix. Those people go to Avondale to shop at "regular" stores. So going to Costco, or Walmart in Avondale sometimes makes you think you have been transported to another country (where they don't speak English).

Last edited by Ponderosa; 01-21-2008 at 07:30 AM..

Unread 01-21-2008, 08:18 AM

in the area of Surprise, are there a good variety of entertainment, dining, jobs, and other things like that? How are the schools? We would be moving from a very very small city, where the form of entertainment here is to go see who you can find at Wal Mart. There really isnt anything to do at all
For any residents of Surprise how accurate is this link
MONEY Magazine: Best places to live 2007: Surprise, AZ snapshot
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $74,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area