Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-07-2015, 03:20 PM

8,028 posts, read 12,192,307 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTW2013 View Post
The area you're referring to is the Mesa School District, not Chandler, so it's not an attractive area to upper middle class families. Most of us with kids make our housing decisions based on school districts. If you want to preserve an area, have quality schools. I don't think the decline of a part of Chandler that is within a mediocre school district means that the parts of Chandler in the Kyrene/Tempe and Chandler school districts will also decline. The reputation of those school districts is solid.

The standard real estate advice is to buy into the best school district that you can afford because houses in good school districts hold their value better.
Not necessarily. In fact, closer proximity to public schools in general often translates to neighborhoods going on the decline. One good example is Paradise Valley School District, which is located in a middle to upper middle class area, but there are neighborhoods mixed in like Greenway Square which have gone to pot, and were allowed to go downhill. Obviously the proximity of schools nearby in a district that is considered to be better than average (which I use very loosely) made no difference on neighborhoods such as that.

If you don't believe me, look at Sun City where there are no school districts. Go there sometime and observe the condition of the neighborhoods. I'd say that all of Sun City is pristine and well preserved considering that most of the homes were built in the 1960s & 1970s. Public schools and kids end up ruining neighborhoods. The fact that Sun City is strictly a senior/adult community, and has no schools & no kids to mess up the place is enough proof for me.

I have yet to see any place where even the most reputable public school districts have kept the neighborhoods safe, clean, and well kept. If anything, PRIVATE schools help enhance an area because most of them are far better quality than even the "best" public schools. Plus, upper middle class families are able to afford private over public (if they budget correctly).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2015, 08:08 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,483,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by southsidegal6743 View Post
I live in the Sunridge Townhomes community off of Alma School at the northernmost portion of Chandler bordering Mesa. I lived in Mesa and watched nice communities go from blue collar to no collar. Moved to Chandler and I am seeing it again, tons more tweaker types, non-English speakers, and just plain trash. I got panhandled by 3 people at the shopping plaza at Dobson and Elliot, and not the "I just need gas to get back on the freeway" types, actually bag carrying bum cup shakers. In addition I saw what appeared to be a drug deal by the Starbucks on Alma School.

It's sad, apparently in the Valley of the Sun unless you can afford Paradise Valley, North Scottsdale or you live in a retirement community..expect to relocate in 10 years when your area turns into a ghetto. Chandler used to be so nice...this whole area will become Sunnyslope South or Maryvale del Este sooner than later.

When I lived in Chandler every part of it seemed nice or at least decent, even some of the older parts like downtown and the areas bordering Mesa.

It's hard to believe your area is going to pot, I doubt if it will become like Maryvale anytime soon because I don't think it will be allowed to get that bad.

What's wrong with west Mesa? It's kind of Tempeish and that's actually a good thing.

Old 06-13-2015, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Jolt View Post
What's wrong with west Mesa? It's kind of Tempeish and that's actually a good thing.
Well, the Fiesta District isn't the most desirable location, which is too bad because it has the potential to be something like Tempe. I've heard that there are a high percentage of college students who live in west Mesa because of the close proximity to both ASU and MCC.

Old 06-13-2015, 10:19 PM

212 posts, read 228,159 times
Thanks for the replies, Sad to see this is a nationwide problem.
But Im not Rich or upper middle class, Im just working class, But Im not doing drugs or trashing my apartment or partying all night. So what's wrong with people?
Just because you are poor, Does not mean you can't have some respect for yourself and others and can't keep off the drugs and keep a clean home.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:04 AM

525 posts, read 535,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Chicken or egg, though? Those schools and the entire area around Fiesta was once prime family country. I was at the grand opening of Fiesta Mall and it was an area we wish we could have lived in. We were in south Phoenix. I think the schools went bad either along with or after the character of the neighborhood began to decline. In any case, once the schools are lost, I agree, people with means don't want to live there anymore and it is really tough to stem the decline. I wish Ducey could figure that out, because it is a problem affecting the entire state to one degree or another.
Oh Fiesta Mall--makes me so sad. I grew up at that mall. That area was so vibrant. And then everyone, including my parents, moved to Chandler and Gilbert, and the poor minorities moved in. Schools went bad along with it. Don't know how you can stop that however. Seems to happen everywhere.

Old 07-08-2017, 09:24 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,089,640 times
The epitome of "White Flight". although I would argue that is is now more of a socio-economic thing now more than race. It is happening all over the Valley where once nice quiet neighborhoods are now being over-run with...what's the word...less considerate/entitled/"me me me" types that don't consider others or know how to be a good neighbor? Our neighborhood, over the past 5 years or so, has been increasingly dominated by people moving here and thinking there are no laws/rules in AZ. Speeding through the neighborhood, running stop signs, an influx of extremely loud muscle cars that think the main roads are a race track. Not to mention the caliber of parents we have seen change at our schools. Everyone used to follow the rules...now it seems it is acceptable to break the dress codes, jaywalk and abuse the schools administration. I even saw a "parent" with their child in their car, flip off our Principal when he was trying to guide traffic during student pick up.

People just don't treat people very well any more it seems.

Old 07-09-2017, 04:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KurtAZ View Post
Not to mention the caliber of parents we have seen change at our schools. Everyone used to follow the rules...now it seems it is acceptable to break the dress codes, jaywalk and abuse the schools administration. I even saw a "parent" with their child in their car, flip off our Principal when he was trying to guide traffic during student pick up.

People just don't treat people very well any more it seems.
Unfortunately, that seems to be the norm all over ... not just in Chandler. It's basically the entitlement attitude many parents have these that they can plunk their kids in the public school system to get them out of their hair for a good part of the day. They use the schools like their own free daycare service courtesy of our tax dollars! The dress codes are only good if they're enforced, which a lot of public schools don't do. And of course many of the parents don't care what their kids wear or how they act in public. This is another reason I support private education because most private schools have strict dress & disciplinary codes which they adhere to.

Old 07-09-2017, 07:28 PM

1,500 posts, read 1,762,173 times
Well as wealth moves in the disparity becomes greater. Phoenix is becoming a wealthier city as the rest of the country is as well. Additionally, taxes. Yep, taxes are super low in Arizona but always at a cost. Now I'm not a tax the rich type by any means but truly taxes buy basic necessities like more police officers, better schools, better kept roads and sidewalks... etc; Again this can go back to wealth disparities which mean more resources go to wealthier neighborhoods. Is it fair? Depends on what you consider to be fair but it is reality.

One can hope that with time the budget will increase in all areas and there will be more police officers so these panhandlers will be picked up and sent off. Unless of course you follow the Seattle model where homeless people rule the city and can sleep in tents along the freeway.

Old 07-10-2017, 07:37 AM

4,059 posts, read 5,089,640 times
And so it begins.

Old 07-10-2017, 11:32 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,483,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belgirl View Post
Oh Fiesta Mall--makes me so sad. I grew up at that mall. That area was so vibrant. And then everyone, including my parents, moved to Chandler and Gilbert, and the poor minorities moved in. Schools went bad along with it. Don't know how you can stop that however. Seems to happen everywhere.
I know, it's sad about malls becoming deserted and it's not just Fiesta Mall either.

Mesa has sketchy areas but I thought west Mesa and the Fiesta district would be somewhat of a hotspot as a Tempe spillover.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area