Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2018, 12:30 PM

262 posts, read 202,258 times

Advertisements

I think it’s snowed in N Scottsdale the winter I came which was dec 2014

The news said it melted by dawn
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2018, 12:37 PM

525 posts, read 279,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I remember the June 1972 heavy rains and flooding we had, I was 15 back then and I remember riding my bike through flooded streets, back then we lived around 3rd Ave & Highland (just south of Camelback Rd) and many homes within a block or two of the canal were flooded.
Glad to meet someone who was a witness of that unusual event. You're only the second person I've talked to that remembers it.

Old 06-10-2018, 03:47 PM

Location: Live:Downtown Phoenix, AZ/Work:Greater Los Angeles, CA
27,606 posts, read 14,594,858 times
If it rains this week as predicted, it will be a record, as June is normally bone dry

Old 06-11-2018, 09:13 AM

5,649 posts, read 5,962,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
If it rains this week as predicted, it will be a record, as June is normally bone dry
It rained two years ago in June pretty good, too. It got swampy humid with it, which was very uncommon for June. I remember it wasn't even forecasted. I was about to walk to Walgreens and what I thought was whipping wind outside was actually pouring rain. I couldn't believe it. I peeked outside to what looked like a full blown monsoon storm, and it was grotesquely humid.

Old 06-17-2018, 12:35 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,259,749 times
During yesterday's cloudy spell, the official high temperature at Sky Harbor was just 82 degrees, which I believe set a record low maximum for the date. No new rainfall records were set because only a trace fell at Sky Harbor, and the record is 0.01 inch. Measurable rain (even some downpours) did occur across parts of the metro area yesterday, mainly in the east Valley. All in all, a very unusual weather scenario for this time of year. June is normally a very dry, hot, sunny month here ... but any kind of relief in the form of clouds, rain, and cooler temperatures are definitely welcome. I loved it!

Old 06-20-2018, 09:46 AM

9,480 posts, read 12,289,523 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
During yesterday's cloudy spell, the official high temperature at Sky Harbor was just 82 degrees, which I believe set a record low maximum for the date. No new rainfall records were set because only a trace fell at Sky Harbor, and the record is 0.01 inch. Measurable rain (even some downpours) did occur across parts of the metro area yesterday, mainly in the east Valley. All in all, a very unusual weather scenario for this time of year. June is normally a very dry, hot, sunny month here ... but any kind of relief in the form of clouds, rain, and cooler temperatures are definitely welcome. I loved it!

A friend in Fountain Hills said she ended up putting on fleece PJ pants and socks that day because she was so cold

Old 07-25-2018, 10:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
It rained two years ago in June pretty good, too. It got swampy humid with it, which was very uncommon for June. I remember it wasn't even forecasted. I was about to walk to Walgreens and what I thought was whipping wind outside was actually pouring rain. I couldn't believe it. I peeked outside to what looked like a full blown monsoon storm, and it was grotesquely humid.
I did get a good storm at my house on the night of the 27th that year. Surprisingly, only 0.01 inches fell at Sky Harbor in June that year.

Old 07-25-2018, 10:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
Yeah the dry spell at Sky Harbor sadly wouldn't end until July 9th, spanning 119 days. This was the sixth longest dry spell on record. According to the old school method of declaring when the monsoon season has started, it started on July 8th this year, just barely missing the average of July 7th.

Old 08-17-2018, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FirebirdCamaro1220 View Post
Some areas got some decent rain from that storm, but no measurable rain fell at Sky Harbor. The airport wouldn't see measurable rain again until July 9th. It was the first measurable rain in 119 days, the sixth longest dry spell on record. The longest is 160 days, which ended on June 7th, 1972.

Old 10-14-2018, 07:13 PM

35,045 posts, read 16,987,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnum Mike View Post
I remember the June 1972 heavy rains and flooding we had, I was 15 back then and I remember riding my bike through flooded streets, back then we lived around 3rd Ave & Highland (just south of Camelback Rd) and many homes within a block or two of the canal were flooded.
That was the start of a monster El Niño that gave NYC an almost snowless winter and (then) record rainfall. New York was super-rainy the rest of June and early July that year, and then again in October and November. For more on that wonderful </sarcasm> year of weather, Yesterday`s Historical Climate Data.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area