Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2015, 12:56 AM

595 posts, read 1,255,516 times

Advertisements

Well folks, you have certainly sold me on NE Ahwatukee as a nice place to live! Now to find an office job that will support me there I'm not much of a commuter. Cool neighborhood close to work is ideal to me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2015, 09:42 AM

7 posts, read 13,310 times
The beauty of NE Ahwatukee is you are about 20 minutes from lots of places to work. My husband works in Tempe, and his commute is 25 minutes. Of course that does depend on traffic, but his job let's him have flexible hours to avoid the worst of it.

Old 06-21-2015, 03:13 PM

8,042 posts, read 12,254,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palenaka View Post
I moved to northeast Ahwatukee last August and I love it here. Very nice community with many local events, many choices for shopping and dining, great parks, hiking South Mountain, etc. I also like living within a short drive to the zoo, dbg, downtown museums and events. No place out here to catch the light rail though. The Ahwatukee annual Fourth of July party is July 3rd at Pecos park with events and fireworks..check it out everyone is pretty friendly out here!
I would think the traffic would be a hassle getting out of Ahwatukee during many times of the day. It's known as the world's largest cul de sac for a good reason. I10 is really the only freeway available ... and other than that, not really too many other escape routes. Otherwise, I like Ahwatukee. It's part of Phoenix, but has always seemed like a completely separate city.

Old 06-22-2015, 08:57 AM

755 posts, read 674,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I would think the traffic would be a hassle getting out of Ahwatukee during many times of the day. It's known as the world's largest cul de sac for a good reason. I10 is really the only freeway available ... and other than that, not really too many other escape routes. Otherwise, I like Ahwatukee. It's part of Phoenix, but has always seemed like a completely separate city.

48th street is pretty easy, during rush hour.

You can get east from Tukee, but not west. So I guess that does make it a cul de sac.

Old 06-22-2015, 02:37 PM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
I lived in the original, the NE part and moved out 20 years ago. It was going downhill then with graffiti, druggies and gang wannabes beginning to hang out in the neighborhood parks. It's probably ghetto by now. Las Lomas, the grade school, was lousy even then and Mountain Pointe had the reputation as a football factory with a drug problem.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:08 PM

2,272 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
I lived in the original, the NE part and moved out 20 years ago. It was going downhill then with graffiti, druggies and gang wannabes beginning to hang out in the neighborhood parks. It's probably ghetto by now. Las Lomas, the grade school, was lousy even then and Mountain Pointe had the reputation as a football factory with a drug problem.
Hmmm. I would not say it has gone downhill. Maybe you left at the worst time but the area doesn't really have any of those issues anymore.

I lived in NE Ahwatukee for a few years (Pointe South Mountain) and absolutely loved it. The only reason I left is because of a job transfer to CO, but now I'm in the process of moving back, and put an offer in on a house literally around the corner from my old one. If all goes well I'll be back at the end of July!

What I love about the area is the proximity to so much...shopping, South Mountain, zoo, downtown Tempe, ASU, Tempe Town Lake, downtown Phoenix, the airport (great if you travel at all for work), etc. You can be out of town and in the desert in less than 10 minutes by just going south on I-10. I think the Pointe South Mountain area in particular is beautiful. After dusk you can walk the golf course paths, walk over to Rustlers Rooste and grab a beer and watch night fall over most of the Phoenix metro. Great place.

Old 06-22-2015, 04:12 PM

4,624 posts, read 9,272,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShampooBanana View Post
Hmmm. I would not say it has gone downhill. Maybe you left at the worst time but the area doesn't really have any of those issues anymore.

I lived in NE Ahwatukee for a few years (Pointe South Mountain) and absolutely loved it. The only reason I left is because of a job transfer to CO, but now I'm in the process of moving back, and put an offer in on a house literally around the corner from my old one. If all goes well I'll be back at the end of July!

What I love about the area is the proximity to so much...shopping, South Mountain, zoo, downtown Tempe, ASU, Tempe Town Lake, downtown Phoenix, the airport (great if you travel at all for work), etc. You can be out of town and in the desert in less than 10 minutes by just going south on I-10. I think the Pointe South Mountain area in particular is beautiful. After dusk you can walk the golf course paths, walk over to Rustlers Rooste and grab a beer and watch night fall over most of the Phoenix metro. Great place.
Yep I agree, I never saw any of the things Ponderosa mentioned, maybe just that many of the houses were getting older and starting to show their age as the newer builds were transitioning into tile roofs and stucco. Not sure about Mountain Pointe High, but it opened shortly before Ponderosa moved away. I used to live near Ray and 44th St many years ago but I went into the NE part of Ahwatukee often whether for restaurants or to hike South Mountain.

Old 06-22-2015, 07:30 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,499,756 times
Quote:

I can't see Ahwatukee being anything close to a ghetto, even the older parts.

Too many people throw that ghetto word around loosely and there aren't many areas in all of Phoenix fitting what defines a ghetto at all.

Old 06-24-2015, 09:50 AM

2,272 posts, read 3,073,826 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by asufan View Post
Yep I agree, I never saw any of the things Ponderosa mentioned, maybe just that many of the houses were getting older and starting to show their age as the newer builds were transitioning into tile roofs and stucco. Not sure about Mountain Pointe High, but it opened shortly before Ponderosa moved away. I used to live near Ray and 44th St many years ago but I went into the NE part of Ahwatukee often whether for restaurants or to hike South Mountain.
FWIW, Mountain Pointe High is rated an 8/10 on Great Schools and about the 84th percentile of AZ high schools in student performance on SchoolDigger rankings. That's not too shabby.

Old 06-24-2015, 10:12 AM

17,914 posts, read 43,391,186 times
Quote:

Welcome back!!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area