Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 06:11 AM

170 posts, read 221,628 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIG CATS View Post
Amen! People who literally spend money to walk indoors, surrounded by sweaty, stinky, "look at me, look at me" people, its completely absurd! You all should be outdoors, in the free, fresh air, surrounded by God's beauty, with views to die for, and wildlife all around. Lifes too short to spend indoors, people! Get out and enjoy it (more so before the snowbirds come and choke up the parks).
yes walking on a treadmill is redundant....perhaps in the winter in snow states walking on a treadmill makes sense.

Using a treadmill for running and doing intervals is awesome. You known how far and how fast you have gone each time and can test your abilities improving your workout as you go. Treadmills are typically safer compared to being outside and getting ran down by a motorist or bicyclist. No one is looking at me on a treadmill that's for sure and I stare at the timer on the treadmill wishing it would go faster.
Me I do outside and inside running when I can.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-19-2015, 06:41 AM

6,588 posts, read 17,510,797 times
I don't know if there are any guide books for hikes in the Phoenix area, but I'm assuming there are. If those books are anything like the guide books for hikes in Yosemite, it's no wonder inexperienced hikers get into trouble. Being aware of the heat, and not setting out on a trek at high noon is just common sense, but when a guide book states that a hike is "easy" and yet you find yourself huffing and puffing, and needing to stop every ten steps because the trail is so steep, that's a problem.This is what happened to me when hiking the Mist Trail to Vernal Fall at Yosemite last weekend. Luckily as the elevation increased, the heat was much less of a factor, and there were shaded areas for me to gasp for breath - and I had plenty of water with me. Not everyone is so sensible. I think guide books and brochures should come with a caveat about physical fitness, etc. (In the Yosemite guide book, even a 20-mile hike was called "moderate"! Huh?!)

Old 06-19-2015, 06:57 AM

769 posts, read 828,240 times
Well not everyone locks themselves up inside over the summer. A lot of the time it's the tourists that get in trouble hiking in the heat. They go look for the Lost Dutchman's gold, or they are Alaskan tourists hiking South Mountain and not bring enough water, and one of them dies. Just bring enough water to hydrate, and know your limits and you'll be fine. Some of us live our life, and don't lock themselves up for the summer. All you transplants just whine constantly about the heat. Suck it up. or go back where you came from.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:17 PM

6,664 posts, read 4,967,066 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TempeAZnative View Post
Just bring enough water to hydrate, and know your limits and you'll be fine. Some of us live our life, and don't lock themselves up for the summer.
Yes, it really is not that difficult. Bring plenty of water, a snack, a hat, and some sunscreen. One can safely hike or bike any day of the year here, just choose a reasonable time of day considering the season.

Unfortunately, some treat a hike in the desert like it's a trip to the mall.

hikernut

Old 06-19-2015, 03:53 PM

5,649 posts, read 5,925,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hikernut View Post
Yes, it really is not that difficult. Bring plenty of water, a snack, a hat, and some sunscreen. One can safely hike or bike any day of the year here, just choose a reasonable time of day considering the season.

Unfortunately, some treat a hike in the desert like it's a trip to the mall.

hikernut
Well said.

As Ive said all along, it takes preparation and supplies and you should be good. Now I dont recommend sprinting up Flat Iron in this heat, but a nice slow hike should be just fine if youre acclimated and prepared.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:53 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,433,051 times
Quote:
Well not everyone locks themselves up inside over the summer. A lot of the time it's the tourists that get in trouble hiking in the heat. They go look for the Lost Dutchman's gold, or they are Alaskan tourists hiking South Mountain and not bring enough water, and one of them dies. Just bring enough water to hydrate, and know your limits and you'll be fine. Some of us live our life, and don't lock themselves up for the summer. All you transplants just whine constantly about the heat. Suck it up. or go back where you came from.
Well said.

I remember talking to a park employee at one of our valley state parks. The stories he shared what people bring/don't bring for a hike is beyond belief. And the people wonder why it all ends badly. As always, many are blaming an uncontrollable element(the weather) while they should be blaming the controllable lack of common sense element that the 2 legged animal variety brings on themselves.

Old 06-19-2015, 05:35 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,561,309 times
Oh, mid-day hikes in this heat are the drunks. Everyone knows that. The real hikers are out the door before the sun rises.

"Give me another beer bong Kirt, hey,,,,hey,,,,I got an idea! LETS GO HIKE THAT MOUNTAIN!!! DON'T FORGET A COUPLE OF BEERS, IT'S HOT BRAW"

Old 06-19-2015, 07:29 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,484,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colt Cassidy View Post
I have to agree about a Stupid Hiker Law.

There has to be a way to discourage inexperienced people or any other dangerous goings-on which continually masquerades as "hiking". Such antics usually seem to end up with Arizona's Search & Rescue and EMTs having to go do their thing at a possible cost to their lives as well.
I would be fine with a law like that but what they should really do is simply shut down the hiking trails during the summertime.

I know some people will throw a hissyfit about closing the trails but it's probably the most sensible thing to do considering so many knuckleheads are unprepared and firefighters have to take extra time to rescue those clowns.

Even the most experienced hiker can still get lost, dehydrated, or suffer a stroke when it's this hot outside, even the mornings are hot with the sun beating down.

Old 06-19-2015, 07:47 PM

2,852 posts, read 4,484,439 times
Quote:
Many of us transplants don't lock ourselves inside all summer, some of us suck it up and find other things to do outdoors besides hiking in the heat.

It's just that some of us don't see the benefit of hiking anyway, a bunch of rocks, sand, the occasional wildlife, the hot sun beating down, and a convoy of sweaty bodies on the trails, big freaking deal.

I prefer Wildlife World Zoo or some of the waterparks for summertime fun, they have plenty of misters, wavepools, and enough shade to lessen the risk and be still comfortable.

Old 06-19-2015, 08:50 PM

7,068 posts, read 6,433,051 times
Count me in as another one for a stupid hiker law.

Look at what's going on in other parts of our state, the Grand Canyon:

Unprepared hikers drive up Grand Canyon park rescues

This is the part that's unfair in my view:

"A park's operating budget pays for rescues costing under $500, while a national pool of taxpayer funds covers costlier operations, Davis said."

"Many of the rescues are preventable if hikers prepare themselves and stay aware of their surroundings, he said.""

While I can understand funds covering someone if there's a rock-slide/some unavoidable event, but if someone goes out without a map, not enough water, the proper gear? Sorry, time for an individual to pay up.

I'm guessing if someone hikes up Camelback and gets dehydrated for not bringing enough water, taxpayers pay the whole tab, even if they have to bring a helicopter up/a med team up?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Arizona > Phoenix area